Players can now have agents

Wait, players can't have agents in college?

fdg.0.jpeg

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanHoops 5m5 minutes ago

NCAA announces it is implementing several recommendations: -
Players can be repped by agents. -
Agents must be certified by an NCAA program -
Players can be eligible for NBA Draft and return to school if undrafted.
i think it’s a step in the right direction and especially the last point. I’ve never understood why that couldn’t be done.

I’m not sure about the others. Sounds like the
NCAA is de-penalizing what has been corrupt relationship.

If agent = shoe rep or aau coach then certified by an NCAA program = funnelling to specific schools.

But I can be convinced otherwise.

It seems that it will lead to corruption, except it already is corrupt. I wonder how many agents would want there clients to go to Iowa over Duke, North Carolina, Michigan State, ect. . It seems recruiting would be even more difficult.

Last edited:
The only rule change that's going to kill the Pitinos and Caliparis of the world is for the NBA to eliminate one and done. And Silver has finally said that will more than likely happen. I do like the idea of locking scholarships for 3 years if a player leaves early for the bigs. That would hurt bad.

The only rule change that's going to kill the Pitinos and Caliparis of the world is for the NBA to eliminate one and done. And Silver has finally said that will more than likely happen. I do like the idea of locking scholarships for 3 years if a player leaves early for the bigs. That would hurt bad.
Calipari was on ESPN this morning and said his main complaint is what to do with the scholarship of the kid that leaves, but might be that fringe player. Do you fill it, and there won't be one left if the kid comes back and he has to go play somewhere else, or do you leave it open and possibly play a man down for a year? Your scenario would answer that, but you know he'd hate it, which is fine with me.

Calipari was on ESPN this morning and said his main complaint is what to do with the scholarship of the kid that leaves, but might be that fringe player. Do you fill it, and there won't be one left if the kid comes back and he has to go play somewhere else, or do you leave it open and possibly play a man down for a year? Your scenario would answer that, but you know he'd hate it, which is fine with me.
Basically the NCAA's litmus test could be that if a rule pisses Calapari or Pitino (I know he's done coaching) off, it's effective.

They either have to get the NBA to allow kids to go from HS to NBA which is the most likely, or lock the scholarships.

As far as locking the scholarships, that move would likely come from government pressure (Condoleeza Rice has alluded to forcing it) and I'm normally against government intervention, but these are public schools and the corruption it would eliminate would FAR outweigh anything else.

I think what will happen is the NBA will go back to taking high school kids and it'll all go away. It should happen anyway, what other industry wouldn't take a prodigy straight out of high school if he or she had the talent to make them truckloads of cash?

Last edited:

Didn't this happen to Kansas this year? I forget the player's name, but he went undrafted, then wanted back on the team, but Bill Self had already given the scholarship away. So, now the coach has to choose whether to take back the offer to a top recruit or just bump one of the GPA guys from the end of the bench in order to take the player back.

Allowing college players to have agents seems like a slippery slope. Surely the agent is "making a deal" with the player, even if the player goes back to college in order to wait for next year. But that is probably happening a lot now anyway.

Allowing college players to have agents seems like a slippery slope. Surely the agent is "making a deal" with the player, even if the player goes back to college in order to wait for next year. But that is probably happening a lot now anyway.
I never understood what the deal was with disallowing agents for college kids anyway. They can get all the free horrible advice from family and friends that they want, what's wrong with paying for representation? I get the argument that some of them are snakes, but so are a lot of lawyers and you wouldn't go to court without one, would you?