Pittsburgh to join the Big Ten.

DOOOOOOO NOT WANT!!!

I'm all for 12 teams I just don't want Pitt. ND and Rutgers are the only two teams I really want.

Last edited:
Adding Pitt would be adding a 12th school for the sake of adding a 12th school... not to mention that it is way too early for something like this to happen. I do not buy it.

1. Texas
2. Notre Dame
3. Rutgers
4. Nebraska
5. North Carolina
6. Maryland
7. Virginia
8. Boston College
9. PITT
10. Missouri

Pitt brealy makes my Top 10. Would suck to see them join ahead of all those other teams.

I can't believe people think something is going down on Thursday regarding Big Ten expansion. When has the Big Ten EVER acted so hastily to such a huge decision? Answer: They haven't and they won't here. Of course I have no proof that nothing will happen, but neither does anyone else that has posted saying it will happen.

I can't believe people think something is going down on Thursday regarding Big Ten expansion. When has the Big Ten EVER acted so hastily to such a huge decision? Answer: They haven't and they won't here. Of course I have no proof that nothing will happen, but neither does anyone else that has posted saying it will happen.

It's happening.

They said we would probably be talking 2 years before an announcement, would be made. This isn't something that happens overnight. Has the Big Ten even pooled the teams they would approach? After that seems to me they would spend some time deciding on which school to approach with a offer. I find it hard to believe that this is happening so quickly.

I just got this info from a trusted source. Expect the announcement by February 4th.

Two things crossed my mind on this. Think of it like politics, and they are either 1) floating a trial balloon to see if the reception of this idea is good or bad. 2) They are letting this out, trying to pressure an answer from another school they may really want.

Or it could be true....I'm not buying it myself, but it could be.

Based on what? You're an anonymous internet message board poster just like the rest of us. Provide a link, or save it.

This is the second thread about this today, and each have the same amount of credibility.

Unfortunately there will probably be a dozen similar threads started in the next few days, in which people who have read rumors from other sites (which have already been discussed on other Hawkeye boards ad nauseum already) don't immediately see a thread here and think they can look like a news breaker.

I'll be somewhat disappointed but not completely surprised if this rumor winds up being true, however 90% of the "insiders" posting on various boards today are using other anonymous posters as their source. I've yet to see anyone that had even a semi-believable source from a Big Ten institution----it's hard to believe something this big would not have been leaked by a person within any of the eleven schools and athletic departments in our conference.

Two things crossed my mind on this. Think of it like politics, and they are either 1) floating a trial balloon to see if the reception of this idea is good or bad. 2) They are letting this out, trying to pressure an answer from another school they may really want.

Or it could be true....I'm not buying it myself, but it could be.

Your scenario #1 was my first thought as well, but the "leak" seems to have come from the Pitt end so far, which obviously the Big Ten would have no control over. I hope its #2, but if they were really trying to pressure another school I think they would have gone with something a little more concrete than this (like a school official saying something on record that looks accidental).

Unfortunately there will probably be a dozen similar threads started in the next few days, in which people who have read rumors from other sites (which have already been discussed on other Hawkeye boards ad nauseum already) don't immediately see a thread here and think they can look like a news breaker.

I'll be somewhat disappointed but not completely surprised if this rumor winds up being true, however 90% of the "insiders" posting on various boards today are using other anonymous posters as their source. I've yet to see anyone that had even a semi-believable source from a Big Ten institution----it's hard to believe something this big would not have been leaked by a person within any of the eleven schools and athletic departments in our conference.

Bingo, and everything you said are reasons why thread like this make me want to pull my hair out.

Several aspects of this scenario just don't add up. The Big Ten Conference has nothing to gain by rushing into a relationship with any school, especially this quickly. I just don't understand why they wouldn't at least try to take another pass at ND (a far better choice than Pitt if you want a Midwest school) or try for Texas, who showed interest in joining the Big Ten when they left the now-defunct Southwest Conference in the late 80's/early 90's.

At the end of the day, I don't have a serious problem with Pitt joining the Big Ten (other than the fact that it introduces no new media markets for the BTN). Their academic tradition (the most important consideration, for those of you who've forgotten) is sufficient, and their athletic history with Penn State in football (and basketball, overall) qualify them. I would just hate to see a hasty decision be made, which is exactly what a February 2010 announcement is.

So you'd prefer we just have no discussion over it?

No one's forcing you to read topics.

I'd prefer if people wouldn't post things that they have no way of proving. Your source so far seems to be a former "insider" on another message board.

Now, this may be legit, and it might not be. The burden of proof is on you.

Latest posts