Phil Mickelson

#1DieHardHawk

Two interesting questions about what occurred yesterday.

1. Was it "The lesser of two evils," where he rationally decided to take a two-stroke penalty, or was it out of frustration?

2. Should he have been disqualified or not?

My personal take is that #1 is a little of both. He was frustrated and let his emotions get to him a bit, but probably also was thinking that it was going to be two strokes anyway, so why not?

As for #2, I hate to say it, but, based upon the rules, he probably should have been disqualified. I don't think the rule imposed was intended for intentionally striking the ball, which Phil did.

And of course, I realize "Professional Sports" goes beyond football. But Phil has zero to do with Hawkeye sports, and in fact, I'd guess he is an $EC or Pac 12 alum. So yes, he SHOULD be DQ'd and have to return the approximately $18 in prize money.

A bit of a correction: Phil bagged just under $28k for his effort.

Do the right thing, Phil. Give it to UI Children's Hospital and show up to do The Wave some Saturday. You no doubt have some missed cuts coming up in the Fall.

And of course, I realize "Professional Sports" goes beyond football. But Phil has zero to do with Hawkeye sports, and in fact, I'd guess he is an $EC or Pac 12 alum. So yes, he SHOULD be DQ'd and have to return the approximately $18 in prize money.
Of the 20 most recent threads on this forum, two, yes two, are Hawkeye related - the Clayborn and Beathard threads.

This forum is about anything in professional sports that is interesting news or topics for discussion. That's kind of the whole point...we have enough Hawkeye-focused threads.

I think all of Phil's frustrations from over the years in the one tournament he wants more than any other finally boiled over. Six runner up finishes, using every concieveable way to do it. He will be fifty soon so if it hasn't happened by now it probably won't but his reckless style of play, which plays well on the back nine at Augusta, has never suited him well at US open venues where patience often wins.

I think all of Phil's frustrations from over the years in the one tournament he wants more than any other finally boiled over. Six runner up finishes, using every concieveable way to do it. He will be fifty soon so if it hasn't happened by now it probably won't but his reckless style of play, which plays well on the back nine at Augusta, has never suited him well at US open venues where patience often wins.

Yep, Phil has always thrived on being a better and luckier risk-taker. U.S. Open courses are one of a few places where that is NOT rewarded. In one sense, he is the version of John Daly that CAN stop himself after six beers.

Last edited:

Latest posts