Peacock

My understanding is the BTen conference's coverage contract is now with FOX, NBC, and some other player. Peacock is a division of NBC, and putting games on Peacock is NBC's way to get more subscribers onto Peacock to bring in more cash and help pay for the billion bucks they pay the conference for coverage rights.

I thought that my payment for the Big Ten Network as well as a package of sports channels, was enough. I could watch almost all of Iowa’s football and basketball games, with DVR capability. We are now betrayed by the BT’s greed. BTW. I have had DISH for years. I don’t use premium channels. Last week, a DISH tech came to my home, replaced my remotes, checked out numerous options on my smart tv, reviewed my internet connection, then climbed up on my roof and upgraded my satellite dish with a new model. No charge for any of it. None. As a result, DISH dropped my monthly fee by $45. I signed on to stay two more years With no cost increases. All good.

I thought that my payment for the Big Ten Network as well as a package of sports channels, was enough. I could watch almost all of Iowa’s football and basketball games, with DVR capability. We are now betrayed by the BT’s greed. BTW. I have had DISH for years. I don’t use premium channels. Last week, a DISH tech came to my home, replaced my remotes, checked out numerous options on my smart tv, reviewed my internet connection, then climbed up on my roof and upgraded my satellite dish with a new model. No charge for any of it. None. As a result, DISH dropped my monthly fee by $45. I signed on to stay two more years With no cost increases. All good.
Is what it is. The tradeoff is that nearly every game can be seen somewhere. Remember back in the day when we could not see all the MBB games and even some of the football games? We all had to pony up for the BTN, but in trade, we got so much more game coverage and our own little ESPN just for our conference. It was worth it. Peacock and BTN plus are extra expenses if you want more games, but the bulk of the games for all sports are on BTN or major cable networks like FS1, ESPN, CBS and Fox.

If the fan appetite was not there, they would not do it.

Is what it is. The tradeoff is that nearly every game can be seen somewhere. Remember back in the day when we could not see all the MBB games and even some of the football games? We all had to pony up for the BTN, but in trade, we got so much more game coverage and our own little ESPN just for our conference. It was worth it. Peacock and BTN plus are extra expenses if you want more games, but the bulk of the games for all sports are on BTN or major cable networks like FS1, ESPN, CBS and Fox.

If the fan appetite was not there, they would not do it.
It feels like they are testing to what extent that appetite stretches to. I can't imagine those streaming numbers for the ESPN plus, BTN plus, Peacocks were all that great. It's almost like an experiment to see how far the consumers will continue paying for what they want. I wish as an Iowa die hard that there was a one stop shopping place to go for all things Iowa. The BTN is as close to that as we have but even before the Peacocks and streaming channels the rights were always split up some amongst the networks.

As the new playoffs for football gets implemented and new conferences get formed and all that they'll be new TV deals I'm sure. There's a lot of dust yet to get settled. Hell they say the playoffs probably aren't done expanding from 12 to 14 or who knows what. I'd imagine in a few yrs things will look even more different. Only thing I think I know for sure is things change...

The NFL put a playoff game on Peacock and Amazon gets one next year, on top of the Thursday night games. That Chiefs game got the highest rating of any streamed event, but obviously fell short of where it would have been if it were on regular TV. I agree that these leagues are pushing to see where the line is. So far, they have not found it.

The resistence to Peacock is a fucking phenomenon that interests me so much. Like, 5 years ago, I was paying for Direct TV. My bill was over $200 a month, probably closer to $250. I did get the premium channels and I did pay extra for sports packages so I could make sure I had evertyhing. I payed that amount for close to 20 years. 20 years!!!!

Since I cut the chord. I have Hulu (for live TV and sports and they have almost everything), Peacock, HBO, Show Time, Disney +, Apple TV, Netflix and it costs me about $100 bucks a month. I rotate some of the premium channels dependant on what show I might want to watch that is currently airing.

It's literally NEVER been cheaper to get access to premium channels, sports channels (heck Hulu offers the Red Zone channel that DTV used to charge $300 for a year, for $10 a month that can be cancelled anytime, so I'm a genious - I get it for 4 months and $40....something i used to have to pay $300 for)

Never been cheaper at least in my life time. So, I fucking just enjoy the shit out of guys who were just like me, paying through the nose for cable for decades, who now turn their nose up at a $5.99 a month Peacock charge. Like what? Quite paying for all that nonsence, get a Youtube TV or Hulu and peacock and pay like $50 a month. Add what you want, lose what you don't. None of these are "yearly fee's" right? You can pay for a year if you want to and save a few bucks, but they are month to month agreements. No more long term deals. Don't want sports in the summer? Cancel Hulu in the summer. Only want sports in the fall for football and basketball, get Hulu for 4 to 5 months, cancel it. Get Peacock for 4 months and pay $24 instead of what you've always paid.

And then there's this. It's $5.99. What else would you spend $6 on today at the gas station, on lunch? That is pretty disposable as far as cost. It FLOORS me how a guy can spend 20 years of over paying for cable and such and will pay $6 for a Scooters or Starbucks coffee that's gone in 5 minutes, or they might go spend $100 on a bar tab, or they might go and spend $20 on a movie....

but $5.99 - even if you kept Hulu for 1 night and 1 game, that's too much, that's where the line is drawn. It's so fascinating to me.

The resistence to Peacock is a fucking phenomenon that interests me so much. Like, 5 years ago, I was paying for Direct TV. My bill was over $200 a month, probably closer to $250. I did get the premium channels and I did pay extra for sports packages so I could make sure I had evertyhing. I payed that amount for close to 20 years. 20 years!!!!

Since I cut the chord. I have Hulu (for live TV and sports and they have almost everything), Peacock, HBO, Show Time, Disney +, Apple TV, Netflix and it costs me about $100 bucks a month. I rotate some of the premium channels dependant on what show I might want to watch that is currently airing.

It's literally NEVER been cheaper to get access to premium channels, sports channels (heck Hulu offers the Red Zone channel that DTV used to charge $300 for a year, for $10 a month that can be cancelled anytime, so I'm a genious - I get it for 4 months and $40....something i used to have to pay $300 for)

Never been cheaper at least in my life time. So, I fucking just enjoy the shit out of guys who were just like me, paying through the nose for cable for decades, who now turn their nose up at a $5.99 a month Peacock charge. Like what? Quite paying for all that nonsence, get a Youtube TV or Hulu and peacock and pay like $50 a month. Add what you want, lose what you don't. None of these are "yearly fee's" right? You can pay for a year if you want to and save a few bucks, but they are month to month agreements. No more long term deals. Don't want sports in the summer? Cancel Hulu in the summer. Only want sports in the fall for football and basketball, get Hulu for 4 to 5 months, cancel it. Get Peacock for 4 months and pay $24 instead of what you've always paid.

And then there's this. It's $5.99. What else would you spend $6 on today at the gas station, on lunch? That is pretty disposable as far as cost. It FLOORS me how a guy can spend 20 years of over paying for cable and such and will pay $6 for a Scooters or Starbucks coffee that's gone in 5 minutes, or they might go spend $100 on a bar tab, or they might go and spend $20 on a movie....

but $5.99 - even if you kept Hulu for 1 night and 1 game, that's too much, that's where the line is drawn. It's so fascinating to me.
If you're a baseball fan in Iowa's borders the only way you can get everything is Fubu. Iowa is the worst blackout state in the country...6 teams you cannot watch whatsoever unless you pay for cable, Dish, or Fubu.

Cubs, Twins, Cards, Royals, Brewers, and Sox are all blacked out everywhere in Iowa and none are carried on YouTube or Hulu. Fubu carries them all.

I'm a 3rd generation Braves fan first, as well as a Cubs/Twins fan, so the only way I can see my teams play is to pay $80/month for Fubu plus $26/month for MLBtv. I start it when the season opens and cancel it all after baseball season is over. Upside is with Fubu and MLBtv I can watch all 4,860 baseball games if I want, but other than @99topdawg there probably aren't many people here who love baseball that much.

Hawk football I watch either in-person for home games or at buddies' houses for away games, and this year I haven't watched a split second of Hawks basketball for the first time in my life which is why I haven't posted in chicks or dudes basketball forums. I did watch a couple womens games out for supper at a sports bar because it was on. From the time I was a kid I almost never missed a Hawks (mens) basketball, football, or wrestling event that was televised until this season with basketball.

I could afford to pay for it year round but I watch zero TV other than sports. No news, no shows. It's just a waste of a thousand bucks a year outside of baseball season.

If you're a baseball fan in Iowa's borders the only way you can get everything is Fubu. Iowa is the worst blackout state in the country...6 teams you cannot watch whatsoever unless you pay for cable, Dish, or Fubu.

Cubs, Twins, Cards, Royals, Brewers, and Sox are all blacked out everywhere in Iowa and none are carried on YouTube or Hulu. Fubu carries them all.

I'm a 3rd generation Braves fan first, as well as a Cubs/Twins fan, so the only way I can see my teams play is to pay $80/month for Fubu plus $26/month for MLBtv. I start it when the season opens and cancel it all after baseball season is over. Upside is with Fubu and MLBtv I can watch all 4,860 baseball games if I want, but other than @99topdawg there probably aren't many people here who love baseball that much.

Hawk football I watch either in-person for home games or at buddies' houses for away games, and this year I haven't watched a split second of Hawks basketball for the first time in my life which is why I haven't posted in chicks or dudes basketball forums. I did watch a couple womens games out for supper at a sports bar because it was on. From the time I was a kid I almost never missed a Hawks (mens) basketball, football, or wrestling event that was televised until this season with basketball.

I could afford to pay for it year round but I watch zero TV other than sports. No news, no shows. It's just a waste of a thousand bucks a year outside of baseball season.
I have Tmobile (Formerly Sprint) and they give you the MLB ticket every year with your cell phone service. I thought it was bullshit too, but have done it the last 3 years. Not that it will help ya, just something I got. My whole point is, it's never been cheaper to watch what you want to watch and everything is ala cart - get what you want, get rid of what you don't. If an Iowa game wasn't on TV, like a football game, I would pay $75-100 to get it on my TV for 1 game. Heck, back when everything wasn't televised, people used to pay that with Pay per View. I am passionate about hoops. I always get BTN+ and in the past when they played in non televised preseason tournaments, I would sometimes pay $25 of more just to have access on like FUBU or one of those kinds od services.

but 5.99 - that's just too much and the last straw for so many guys. I listen to Harty talk about it on the Hawk morning show 3 times a week....those guys are all paying through the NOSE for cable and are like
"I refuse to pay $6 for Hawkeye games" and they COVER THE TEAM for a living.

I'm an old dude too, but come one, look at it big picture old dudes, this is a better way of getting your sports.

I have Tmobile (Formerly Sprint) and they give you the MLB ticket every year with your cell phone service. I thought it was bullshit too, but have done it the last 3 years. Not that it will help ya, just something I got. My whole point is, it's never been cheaper to watch what you want to watch and everything is ala cart - get what you want, get rid of what you don't. If an Iowa game wasn't on TV, like a football game, I would pay $75-100 to get it on my TV for 1 game. Heck, back when everything wasn't televised, people used to pay that with Pay per View. I am passionate about hoops. I always get BTN+ and in the past when they played in non televised preseason tournaments, I would sometimes pay $25 of more just to have access on like FUBU or one of those kinds od services.

but 5.99 - that's just too much and the last straw for so many guys. I listen to Harty talk about it on the Hawk morning show 3 times a week....those guys are all paying through the NOSE for cable and are like
"I refuse to pay $6 for Hawkeye games" and they COVER THE TEAM for a living.

I'm an old dude too, but come one, look at it big picture old dudes, this is a better way of getting your sports.
Oh I definitely agree that it's not any more expensive today than years ago, I won't argue that.

I've just noticed a shift in my priorities over the years. I used to make sure I never missed a Hawks event even if I wasn't super stoked...just because it was the Hawks and that what you do. Used to be the same thing with the Vikings and for the past 2 years I haven't really watched any NFL other than once in a while paying attention to how former Hawks are doing. Didn't watch a single pro game this year unless it was on at someone else's house or a restaurant.

Now it's just baseball that I really make sure to see. It's my first love, and the older I get the more I enjoy a chill sport that isn't ridiculously hyped like football or basketball. Those two sports at the college and pro levels have just become circus sideshows and it gets tiring.

I've got MLB trips to KC, Chicago, and Minneapolis (3 game series against the Braves which never happens around here) planned for this year along with the B1G tourney at Schwab, and there's zero chance I'd do that for NFL or college football anymore.

Oh I definitely agree that it's not any more expensive today than years ago, I won't argue that.

I've just noticed a shift in my priorities over the years. I used to make sure I never missed a Hawks event even if I wasn't super stoked...just because it was the Hawks and that what you do. Used to be the same thing with the Vikings and for the past 2 years I haven't really watched any NFL other than once in a while paying attention to how former Hawks are doing. Didn't watch a single pro game this year unless it was on at someone else's house or a restaurant.

Now it's just baseball that I really make sure to see. It's my first love, and the older I get the more I enjoy a chill sport that isn't ridiculously hyped like football or basketball. Those two sports at the college and pro levels have just become circus sideshows and it gets tiring.

I've got MLB trips to KC, Chicago, and Minneapolis (3 game series against the Braves which never happens around here) planned for this year along with the B1G tourney at Schwab, and there's zero chance I'd do that for NFL or college football anymore.
That's awesome! Omaha does a great job with the tournament. If I make a game I will hit you up, would love to meet ya.

Latest posts