Pass routes that get good YAC; more running backs swinging wide!

uihawk82

In the absence of any long bombs and throwing a lot of really short passes what are routes the hawks seem to get good YAC with? This year and in the past few years it seems the short and medium crossing routes are two where the hawks can break for more yards. Last year TTracy had two big catches like this against wisky and jNW and maybe a third. This is where the hawks throw to running backs on delays to get decent yac.

The tight ends up the seams and hashes have been good and ISM and BSmith are good on 20-30 yarders up the sidelines for jump balls. There have not been a lot of these this year. The waggle bootleg throw to the TEnds usually are getting good YAC.

But are the hawks missing a chance to throw to running backs swinging wide but just behind the LOS? Goodson, Sargent, and IKM are the shiftiest runners and getting them in space even as a safe dump off and letting them run could be another weapon.

And the throw against zone coverage up the sideline beyond/past the corner but in front of the safety is one we havent seen much iirc but the hawks have used very well in the past. And maybe most teams are playing the split ends man to man most of the time, I dont know because havent paid attention that much.

But just like staying with the running game I think the hawks do need to stretch the field with the passing game.

Any other pass routes that you would love to see used or used more often?

In the absence of any long bombs and throwing a lot of really short passes what are routes the hawks seem to get good YAC with? This year and in the past few years it seems the short and medium crossing routes are two where the hawks can break for more yards. Last year TTracy had two big catches like this against wisky and jNW and maybe a third. This is where the hawks throw to running backs on delays to get decent yac.

The tight ends up the seams and hashes have been good and ISM and BSmith are good on 20-30 yarders up the sidelines for jump balls. There have not been a lot of these this year. The waggle bootleg throw to the TEnds usually are getting good YAC.

But are the hawks missing a chance to throw to running backs swinging wide but just behind the LOS? Goodson, Sargent, and IKM are the shiftiest runners and getting them in space even as a safe dump off and letting them run could be another weapon.

And the throw against zone coverage up the sideline beyond/past the corner but in front of the safety is one we havent seen much iirc but the hawks have used very well in the past. And maybe most teams are playing the split ends man to man most of the time, I dont know because havent paid attention that much.

But just like staying with the running game I think the hawks do need to stretch the field with the passing game.

Any other pass routes that you would love to see used or used more often?
Not necessarily for YAC, but why don't we see more slants? This has to be the easiest pass to complete of all time. I see DB's playing WR's straight-up every game, all the time. Establish the slant, then the SLUGO (slant and go) for a post route. Slants come in shallow, medium and deep patterns. Hell, you can draw one up on the sidelines between plays.
I was taught as a DB to take away the inside of the field (which is 80% of the field) and make your opponent throw to the outside (20%). I guess I don't understand what goes on in the mind of Offensive Coordinators.

Not necessarily for YAC, but why don't we see more slants? This has to be the easiest pass to complete of all time. I see DB's playing WR's straight-up every game, all the time. Establish the slant, then the SLUGO (slant and go) for a post route. Slants come in shallow, medium and deep patterns. Hell, you can draw one up on the sidelines between plays.
I was taught as a DB to take away the inside of the field (which is 80% of the field) and make your opponent throw to the outside (20%). I guess I don't understand what goes on in the mind of Offensive Coordinators.

Good stuff and I think the only easier throw and catch is where the receiver is or seems stationary to the QB. What I have heard called a sit down pattern in a hole in a zone the receiver is stationary or a comeback type pattern (that Fry and Long etc) used so well where the receiver is moving in-line with the qb.

Good stuff and I think the only easier throw and catch is where the receiver is or seems stationary to the QB. What I have heard called a sit down pattern in a hole in a zone the receiver is stationary or a comeback type pattern (that Fry and Long etc) used so well where the receiver is moving in-line with the qb.
Bubble screen (my favorite play) fits into that category... when it works! It's always interesting to go online and gargoyle the QB/receiver "tree" to see all the various pass patterns availible.

Latest posts