Pac 12 Just Got Ridiculously Rich

TecmoSuperHawk

Here's a couple of articles:

Pac-10 Set To Announce Whopping Media Deal Valued At $3B - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal

Pac-10 TV deal approaches $3 billion - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety

Wow! :eek:

This is a MONSTER deal. $250,000,000 annually to the conference and that does NOT include any profits they can rake in from their own conference network, which by the way they have a 100% equity stake in, not 51% like the Big Ten.

They also will have a digital component to air additional games (no word on if they will charge like BTN.com does).

All I see in that is another example in college sports where everybody is getting rich except for the players.

it's on par with what the B10 schools make annually correct? didn't each school make around $20 mil? And yes, Jim should be upset that someone is on par with b10. The b10 should continue to have bigger contracts than other conferences.

it's on par with what the B10 schools make annually correct? didn't each school make around $20 mil? And yes, Jim should be upset that someone is on par with b10. The b10 should continue to have bigger contracts than other conferences.

I don't know what Big Ten schools make, but it seems the PAC 12 schools will make more. The deal is for $250 million annually, while the Big 10 deal is about $220 million or so. Same number of schools, a lot more money. Plus, the PAC 12 network is wholly owned by the conference. The schools get every dime. Big time deal.

You have to think Delaney and his staff are poring over the B1G's existing television contracts to see if there is any provision they can cite to invalidate said contracts and renegotiate the deals (i.e., admission of a new member, etc.).

This deal was a home run for the Pac 12. Not only are they going to get big money and have their own network, but they're also going to get better national exposure and that's one big thing Larry Scott wanted. Sounds like Fox is going to start putting Saturday prime time games on their main national channel plus FX is going to start having games. No more being buried in late night slots that don't start on the east coast until after 10 p.m.

Utah is the biggest winner in all of college football in all of the expansion blowup from last summer. They go from a non BCS conference with a terrible TV contract and limited exposure to the Pac 12 with a fat TV deal that will pump millions into their coffers. Now their games will be on Fox, ABC, ESPN, FSN, FX, etc.

This deal was a home run for the Pac 12. Not only are they going to get big money and have their own network, but they're also going to get better national exposure and that's one big thing Larry Scott wanted. Sounds like Fox is going to start putting Saturday prime time games on their main national channel plus FX is going to start having games. No more being buried in late night slots that don't start on the east coast until after 10 p.m.

Utah is the biggest winner in all of college football in all of the expansion blowup from last summer. They go from a non BCS conference with a terrible TV contract and limited exposure to the Pac 12 with a fat TV deal that will pump millions into their coffers. Now their games will be on Fox, ABC, ESPN, FSN, FX, etc.

Utah is on call to be a major player.....

Chad

This was a very nice signing. But they aren't pulling ahead of the B10. The deal starts for the 2012-2013 season. So they have one additional year under their old contract, which was tiny and now has two additional mouths to feed. This will overlap for 4 years with the current B10/ABC contract. During that time, P12 may have a very slightly higher revenue per school, depending on the chosen accounting methodology.

Then B10 will have a gigantic new network deal start. The BTN revenues will continue to climb year over year. The P12 network doesn't actually exist yet. Fox owns 49% of the BTN for the next 20 years, and that portion bought BTN immediate national satellite coverage and subsidized startup costs. What other sports network was 100% owned by its founding league? The NFL Network. Which sports network, 8 years into its existence, is STILL fighting for decent market penetration? The NFL Network. I think we'd agree that if the NFL has a hard time getting covered, the P12 is going to have a much more difficult time.

P12 will face an extremely tough uphill climb to get their channel carried, and won't come anywhere close to the carriage rates that the B10 enjoys (supposedly 88 cents per household in B10 footprint). It will take years for P12 network to turn a profit, and the BTN checks will only grow during that time.

So, a very nice signing for the P12. It raises them into the neighborhood of B10/SEC. But they aren't passing them up.

This was a very nice signing. But they aren't pulling ahead of the B10. The deal starts for the 2012-2013 season. So they have one additional year under their old contract, which was tiny and now has two additional mouths to feed. This will overlap for 4 years with the current B10/ABC contract. During that time, P12 may have a very slightly higher revenue per school, depending on the chosen accounting methodology.

Then B10 will have a gigantic new network deal start. The BTN revenues will continue to climb year over year. The P12 network doesn't actually exist yet. Fox owns 49% of the BTN for the next 20 years, and that portion bought BTN immediate national satellite coverage and subsidized startup costs. What other sports network was 100% owned by its founding league? The NFL Network. Which sports network, 8 years into its existence, is STILL fighting for decent market penetration? The NFL Network. I think we'd agree that if the NFL has a hard time getting covered, the P12 is going to have a much more difficult time.

P12 will face an extremely tough uphill climb to get their channel carried, and won't come anywhere close to the carriage rates that the B10 enjoys (supposedly 88 cents per household in B10 footprint). It will take years for P12 network to turn a profit, and the BTN checks will only grow during that time.

So, a very nice signing for the P12. It raises them into the neighborhood of B10/SEC. But they aren't passing them up.

Good follow up. Honestly the BIG 10 is THE power conference for college sports. Even with the SEC's dominance in NC's it is still the Big 10's world really! And they will only get stronger and have more clout.

Chad

You have to think Delaney and his staff are poring over the B1G's existing television contracts to see if there is any provision they can cite to invalidate said contracts and renegotiate the deals (i.e., admission of a new member, etc.).

I thought Nebraska entering gave the B1G the right to renegotiate?

Good follow up. Honestly the BIG 10 is THE power conference for college sports. Even with the SEC's dominance in NC's it is still the Big 10's world really! And they will only get stronger and have more clout.

Chad

4274.fc56084_5F00_Let-Me-Laugh-Even-Harder.jpg

You just have no relationship with reality do you?!?

Friend you just don't get it, either because you are young and naive, just dim, or to myopic, but you just won’t get it so why should I try....???

Here is a quick excerpt…basically we have a conference (The Big 10) that you, ESPN, others like you, have harpooned, laughed at, pooh-poohed or just in general trivialized…..YET they have the strongest TV contract, continually get dual invites to BCS Bowls, have far and away the 2nd most NFL draft picks/alumni get mad NCCA B-ball props and in general own the TV-sets from Nebbie to Pennsylvania (college sports Mecca) to the point that it absolutely irks and makes jealous said people like you…..

THAT’S the Big 10 friend and you can’t do anything about it……….pretty much every single one of their schools except NW finished in the top 30 or so for revenue earning in this past fiscal year. The Big 10 rocks and it pi%#@ folks like you off….

Chad

4274.fc56084_5F00_Let-Me-Laugh-Even-Harder.jpg

You just have no relationship with reality do you?!?

I have my doubts the P10 network will be a big success. Part of the reason the BTN is a success is because of the partnership with Fox.

Friend you just don't get it, either because you are young and naive, just dim, or to myopic, but you just won’t get it so why should I try....???

Here is a quick excerpt…basically we have a conference (The Big 10) that you, ESPN, others like you, have harpooned, laughed at, pooh-poohed or just in general trivialized…..YET they have the strongest TV contract, continually get dual invites to BCS Bowls, have far and away the 2nd most NFL draft picks/alumni get mad NCCA B-ball props and in general own the TV-sets from Nebbie to Pennsylvania (college sports Mecca) to the point that it absolutely irks and makes jealous said people like you…..

THAT’S the Big 10 friend and you can’t do anything about it……….pretty much every single one of their schools except NW finished in the top 30 or so for revenue earning in this past fiscal year. The Big 10 rocks and it pi%#@ folks like you off….

Chad

My rebuttal:

bcs-championship-trophy_crop_340x234.jpg

Tastes a hell of a lot sweeter than your TV revenue. BTW, how desperate do you have to be tp brag about TV revenue? You guys never have success on the field to brag about, so you keep grasping at thinner and thinner straws.

But actually it doesn't.....Iowa has won 25 or so national championships in a sport (wrestling) that is nearly dead. Us Iowans care but not many others do.....TV draw, power and money is where it is at. Look at it like this….the SEC has won 6 straight NC's yet here you are arguing with me on a Big 10 board. We STILL generate the news. Either because you are for us or against us, but either way it is still about us......and it pi&*^'s ESPN off to know end and we are getting richer. We ain't going anywhere.......you can win 10 more NC’s and the Big 10 will still rule the air waves and our product will still be seen, and we will still be very wealthy…...

Chad

My rebuttal:

Tastes a hell of a lot sweeter than your TV revenue. BTW, how desperate do you have to be tp brag about TV revenue? You guys never have success on the field to brag about, so you keep grasping at thinner and thinner straws.

what kind of loser hangs out on another teams message board, that's not even in their conference, just to talk smack? wow, your life must really suck.

Latest posts