Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Brady Ellingson - 4 PPG

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Jack Nunge - 3 PPG

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NikeHawk21

Pretty simple. If you think a player will exceed the points per game listed above, vote for them.

Edit: Apologies to Dom Uhl, Christian Williams, and Maishe Dailey who were not listed above due to limited space. I put their O/Us at 3 PPG.

I voted for Cook, Ellingson, and Moss.

I see Cook as a dominate player this year. Probably in the 15-16 PPG range.

Moss and Ellingson are the ones set to see the biggest uptick in minutes.

I didn’t vote for the other front-court players as the logjam for minutes will probably limit them. I still think JBo will be in that 10-11 range.

Those who voted feel free to add why!

Honest question, I'm curious to hear what you think the minutes breakdown will be. With all the talk about Nunge, Garza, Pemsl, Cook, Wagner, etc. how many minutes are there going to be available for frontcourt guys? It's gonna be tough for anybody in the frontcourt to average much more than 10 IMO.

I think JBo will lead the team in scoring.

Honest question, I'm curious to hear what you think the minutes breakdown will be. With all the talk about Nunge, Garza, Pemsl, Cook, Wagner, etc. how many minutes are there going to be available for frontcourt guys? It's gonna be tough for anybody in the frontcourt to average much more than 10 IMO.

Personally I think if JBo leads the team in scoring that is very bad sign for this team. I think we want him getting the bigs and Moss involved and as our primary distributor.

My projected minutes for the “bigs”

Baer - 24
Cook - 24
Pemsl - 18
Garza - 18
Kriener - 14
Wagner - 12
Nunge - 10

Again that leaves Uhl out. Some minutes could open up if Baer spends some time at the 2 which they noted as a possibility yesterday. Fran did say yesterday that it’s probably not possible to play 12 or 13 guys so at least one of the bigs is going to be cut from the rotation.

I think the minutes breakdown could be something like that Nike, which is why I think JBo will be the leading scorer. Tough to lead the team in scoring playing less than 25 MPG, and I think JBo plays 30+.

Starters:

Jordan 30 MPG
Moss 22 MPG
Baer 25 MPG
Cook 27 MPG
Garza 20 MPG

Williams 8 MPG
Ellingson 12 MPG
Dailey 8 MPG
Uhl 11 MPG
Pemsl 20 MPG
Kreiner 10 MPG
Others 7 MPG

I think the minutes breakdown could be something like that Nike, which is why I think JBo will be the leading scorer. Tough to lead the team in scoring playing less than 25 MPG, and I think JBo plays 30+.

If Cook can stay out of foul trouble, elevate his D, and make his FTs, he will lead the team in scoring playing 5 mpg less than JBo. W Garza at the 5, Cook at the 4 is a better A White. He will dominate games.

Cook averaged a full point more than JBo last year playing 5 less minutes a game.

Judging by some of the quotes I heard yesterday it sounded like the guys are focusing on giving Cook the ball in good positions to score. Suggesting to me he is likely going to be the focal point of our offense.

Iowa's three main scoring threats are JBo, Moss & Cook. JBo & Cook are known quantities... Until Moss proves otherwise, I believe teams will force Moss to produce and with Jok gone, I think he'll have the biggest opportunity to improve his average. I'm talking about JBo as he performed the last portion of the season...
Cook is going to get his points and then some, but he's going to need to improve on the outside to keep teams from jamming the inside - see White's Sr. year. Moss, Baer & company will be a direct beneficiary of Cook being able to extend defenses.

Iowa's three main scoring threats are JBo, Moss & Cook. JBo & Cook are known quantities... Until Moss proves otherwise, I believe teams will force Moss to produce and with Jok gone, I think he'll have the biggest opportunity to improve his average. I'm talking about JBo as he performed the last portion of the season...
Cook is going to get his points and then some, but he's going to need to improve on the outside to keep teams from jamming the inside - see White's Sr. year. Moss, Baer & company will be a direct beneficiary of Cook being able to extend defenses.
Good post.

To me the difference between White and Cook though is that Cook has the strength to dominate on the block, whereas White was more of a tweener 4/3 who used his energy and craftiness to create for himself.

I saw Cook back down B1G defensive player of the year Ethan Happ a couple times at the Kohl Center using just pure strength. 15/15 on FGs in the NIT is promising.

It sounds like he has worked on at least his mid range jump shot which should create more spacing. With his athleticism he is going to be a very tough cover for most 4s in college basketball.

I don't think Cook needs to shoot outside to unclog the middle. I think our other shooters will do that. He will be stronger than most defenders so he will use that to get good position underneath, then Bohannon will get him the ball in good position to score.

Starters:

Jordan 30 MPG
Moss 22 MPG
Baer 25 MPG
Cook 27 MPG
Garza 20 MPG

Williams 8 MPG
Ellingson 12 MPG
Dailey 8 MPG
Uhl 11 MPG
Pemsl 20 MPG
Kreiner 10 MPG
Others 7 MPG
Wagner goes from starter to.....?

I like MD and think he could bring some unique skills to the table but I just don’t see anyway he breaks into the rotation this year. He’s already a little behind the 8-ball after being injured for the overseas trip.

Fran continues to state that Nunge will play.

Just playing devils advocate with those questions...

Watching how the minutes get allocated is really the most interesting thing to watch heading into the season this year.

I like MD and think he could bring some unique skills to the table but I just don’t see anyway he breaks into the rotation this year. He’s already a little behind the 8-ball after being injured for the overseas trip.

Watching how the minutes get allocated is really the most interesting thing to watch heading into the season this year.

I should have double checked. Take a Minute or two off each sub, add in to the 7 MPG for others and Wagner will get about 10-15 MPG.

At best, MD might take some of Brady's minutes, but unless there's an injury or two... I'm like you, I just don't see many minutes for him. Fran is going to want Nunge to get as much playing time as possible - if for nothing else to prepare him for the future. Especially, if Cook decides to move on or there's a transfer or two. Nunge has way more upside and a skill set for a 6'11" player that you just don't find down the block somewhere.

I predict we will destroy most teams so bad that the end of the bench will get plenty of time. Till will probably average around 6 minutes or so.

I should have double checked. Take a Minute or two off each sub, add in to the 7 MPG for others and Wagner will get about 10-15 MPG.

Fran already said he's going to play 10 or 11 guys. I don't think he's going to play 12 or at least I hope he doesn't.

Where he set the lines at would mean Iowa would be averaging 78-82ish pts a game. I'll take the over on that much like I would most of those figures. Cook and JBo should avg no less than what he's got up there. The others are a bit of a crap shoot. Baer could do more pretty easily just depending. But Garza, Kreiner and Nunge are the X factors if any one of them or combination of really come on then look out..

Where he set the lines at would mean Iowa would be averaging 78-82ish pts a game. I'll take the over on that much like I would most of those figures. Cook and JBo should avg no less than what he's got up there. The others are a bit of a crap shoot. Baer could do more pretty easily just depending. But Garza, Kreiner and Nunge are the X factors if any one of them or combination of really come on then look out..
Well that doesn’t include Williams, Uhl, or Dailey who will most certainly score some in the non-conference, with Williams likely part of the regular rotation.

FYI 85 points per game ranked in the top 10 nationally last year. Love the optimism.

I think the easiest bet on the board is the over on Cook. He had 12.3 ppg last year. To think he won't improve on that by 2 points is kinda silly IMO.

If I had to take an under I'd go with Pemsl under 9 ppg. I like him a lot but I think Garza is going to eat into his minutes