OT: Top 5 NBA career backup centers last 20-30 years.

uihawk82

These guys are like backup and bullpen catchers in baseball and they can have very long careers. During Jordan's championship time at the Bulls there was a backup center for Cartwright and other starting centers, cant remember his name, but he would set lots of good screens, rebound well, play defense. clog the lane at about 7 ft.

Anyone remember his name and have a few other of these guys names.

Even if Garza doesnt work out as a big time starter in the NBA he has that type of body and scoring, rebounding and potentially defensive skills to be a really good backup.

These guys are like backup and bullpen catchers in baseball and they can have very long careers. During Jordan's championship time at the Bulls there was a backup center for Cartwright and other starting centers, cant remember his name, but he would set lots of good screens, rebound well, play defense. clog the lane at about 7 ft.

Anyone remember his name and have a few other of these guys names.

Even if Garza doesnt work out as a big time starter in the NBA he has that type of body and scoring, rebounding and potentially defensive skills to be a really good backup.
You might be thinking of Will Purdue.

As for the other part of the post Billy Paultz, a player I have compared Garza to before, may be the classic example. A few others off the top of my head:

Paul Mokeski
Rich Kelley
Alton Lister
Eddie Lee Wilkins
Harvey Catchings
Chuck Nevitt
Greg Kite

Of course the classic back to the basket post player is going the way of the dinosaur, let alone a backup post player. Garza, to have any shot in the league, will have to keep pumping those threes and show he can hit them!

As for the other part of the post Billy Paultz, a player I have compared Garza to before, may be the classic example. A few others off the top of my head:

Paul Mokeski
Rich Kelley
Alton Lister
Eddie Lee Wilkins
Harvey Catchings
Chuck Nevitt
Greg Kite

Of course the classic back to the basket post player is going the way of the dinosaur, let alone a backup post player. Garza, to have any shot in the league, will have to keep pumping those threes and show he can hit them!

Also could be Bill Wennington. Or Luc Longley. :)

The best part of basketball reference web site is the player pages (and nicknames listed). For Paul Mokeski, his nicknames are Mo and Speed Bump. :) And Chuck Nevitt's nicknames are Chuck E Cheese and the Human Victory Cigar (he was 7 foot 5). Here is Nevitt guarding 7 foot 7 Manute Bol.

My NBA watching started late 90's so my answers will reflect that. Right off the bat I'm thinking Mehmet Okur. He was huge in Detroits run to the title. Brad Miller for the Sacramento Kings is another.Alonzo Mourning came off the bench for the Heat when Shaq was there. This was an interesting topic to think over because backup center isn't typically a glorified role. I could see Garza going to a smart coach like Popovich or Stevens and flourishing. Stevens actually has a backup center right now similar to what Garza could be in Enes Kanter.

Paul Mokeski
Rich Kelley
Alton Lister
Eddie Lee Wilkins
Harvey Catchings
Chuck Nevitt
Greg Kite

I imagine the advice Luka receives from the league will include working on his face to the basket moves (especially starting from mid range), along with working on overall athleticism/quickness/ball handling. I think he can make a roster how he is now, but there's always room for improvement.

Kurt Rambis was a backup wasn't he?
He was a starter and it started a mini trend of low scoring white power forwards who rebounded and had the back of the alpha dogs. Before you knew it young guys like Mark Iavoroni, Ed Nealy, Bill Hanzlik,Tom Chambers (before he outgrew the role). Calvin Natt and Larry Smith, while African American, also had similar roles.

Rambis was only 6'8. He may have occasionally guarded centers to save Kareem's energy but very rarely played the position himself

Last edited:
Kurt Rambis was a backup wasn't he?

No. Kurt Rambis was the starting power forward for the "Showtime" Lakers. He did the dirty work. A lot of rules changes around intentional fouls happened because of the play where Kevin McHale basically clotheslined Kurt Rambis while Kurt was going in for a layup on a fast break. It was the only way McHale had to stop the bucket as he was out of position to block the shot and it was said at the time that he and Rambis had no love for each other.

He was a starter and it started a mini trend of low scoring white power forwards who rebounded and had the back of the alpha dogs. Before you knew it young guys like Mark Iavoroni, Ed Nealy, Bill Hanzlik,Tom Chambers (before he outgrew the role). Calvin Natt and Larry Smith, while African American, also had similar roles.

Rambis was only 6'8. He may have occasionally guarded centers to save Kareem's energy but very rarely played the position himself

Actually the "first" power forward who rebounded and had the back of the alpha dogs was Maurice Lucas. Bill Walton had a couple of great years before hurting his foot (which he has since had the bones fused) with Lucas being the enforcer. Of course, Lucas could also score so there is that. I remember a couple of games where Lucas set some "physical screens" that stopped play due to injury to the player he screened. He just kind of walked away with a grin. Definitely the enforcer.

Hanzlik, while being a tough defender, was a guard during most of his career. Tom Chambers, while never much of an enforcer, was a scoring threat his entire career - he averaged over 20 points a game in 17 seasons. The other guys, OK.

Actually the "first" power forward who rebounded and had the back of the alpha dogs was Maurice Lucas. Bill Walton had a couple of great years before hurting his foot (which he has since had the bones fused) with Lucas being the enforcer. Of course, Lucas could also score so there is that. I remember a couple of games where Lucas set some "physical screens" that stopped play due to injury to the player he screened. He just kind of walked away with a grin. Definitely the enforcer.

Hanzlik, while being a tough defender, was a guard during most of his career. Tom Chambers, while never much of an enforcer, was a scoring threat his entire career - he averaged over 20 points a game in 17 seasons. The other guys, OK.
Kermit Washington was pretty much a clone of Maurice Lucas. At that time you also had Dennis Awtrey in Phoenix and Wes Unseld in Washington, who actually played as much center as power forward.

Hanzlik, while being a tough defender, was capable guarding any position on the floor in Doug Moe's unorthodox line ups. He guarded enough power forwards and centers for Ralph Sampson to single him out as one of his toughest opponents.

Chambers is a reach, because I looked back and he was a big time scorer almost as soon as he entered the league. He was actually more of a cheap shot artist than enforcer. He was one of the most notorious elbow swingers in the NBA.

Kermit Washington was pretty much a clone of Maurice Lucas. At that time you also had Dennis Awtrey in Phoenix and Wes Unseld in Washington, who actually played as much center as power forward.

Hanzlik, while being a tough defender, was capable guarding any position on the floor in Doug Moe's unorthodox line ups. He guarded enough power forwards and centers for Ralph Sampson to single him out as one of his toughest opponents.

Chambers is a reach, because I looked back and he was a big time scorer almost as soon as he entered the league. He was actually more of a cheap shot artist than enforcer. He was one of the most notorious elbow swingers in the NBA.
Yes, back when being a "power" forward really meant something.
T2oTp9L.gif

No. Kurt Rambis was the starting power forward for the "Showtime" Lakers. He did the dirty work. A lot of rules changes around intentional fouls happened because of the play where Kevin McHale basically clotheslined Kurt Rambis while Kurt was going in for a layup on a fast break. It was the only way McHale had to stop the bucket as he was out of position to block the shot and it was said at the time that he and Rambis had no love for each other.
McHale set the tone that Boston was going to be physical and it was enough to carry the series. Cedric Maxwell, a criminally underrated player, came up big in game 7 just as he had in 1981.

The Lakers would get even the next year as Kareem, whipped into a frenzy by Pat Riley's mind games, ran Robert Parish into exhaustion and submission after the Lakers spotted Boston game one.

Yes, back when being a "power" forward really meant something.
T2oTp9L.gif
Changed the course of the NBA. Thug menta!ity had been building for years, Lucas and Darryl Dawkins nearly tangled in the championship, Kareem broke his hand punching Kent Benson on opening night, then this.

Calvin Murphy had been involved in no less than half a dozen fights and had won all of them. Kermit, before caving Rudy T's face in, had knocked out Sidney Wicks and John Schumate in prior incidents.

This incident started when Washington and former Iowa star Kevin Kunnert got tangled up trying to get back up court. Many fights began the same way back then with players tugging shorts to propel themselves ahead of the other guy, the occasional Brad Davison treatment.

They could get away with it because there were only two officials on the floor back then and they couldn't see what was going on behind them. After the Rudy T near tragedy tne NBA mandated three man crews, and there was always one official trailing the players up the court to nip shenanigans in the bud.

In this video you can see Kareem trying to keep Kunnert from collapsing to the floor. Washington had just right crossed him above the eye while Kareem "accidentally" had Kunnert's arms pinned. Calvin Murphy, the fifth player, is about to go after Washington but stopped in horror when he saw Rudy.

Murphy and Washington were trained amatuer boxers, growing up when every City and mid sized town in this country had youth boxing clubs. You could see Kermit assume a boxer's stance as he saw Rudy coming, and you could see him flip his hips like a boxer to get more power into the punch.

To say Rudy's faced was caved in is not hyperbole. His upper jaw was knocked out of alignment with the rest of his skull. His brain capsule was exposed until emergency surgery sealed it amd he was leaking spinal fluid into his mouth.

Last edited:
Changed the course of the NBA. Thug menta!ity had been building for years, Lucas and Darryl Dawkins nearly tangled in the championship, Kareem broke his hand punching Kent Benson on opening night, then this.

Calvin Murphy had been involved in no less than half a dozen fights and had won all of them. Kermit, before caving Rudy T's face in, had knocked out Sidney Wicks and John Schumate in prior incidents.

This incident started when Washington and former Iowa star Kevin Kunnert got tangled up trying to get back up court. Many fights began the same way back then with players tugging shorts to propel themselves ahead of the other guy, the occasional Brad Davison treatment.

They could get away with it because there were only two officials on the floor back then and they couldn't see what was going on behind them. After the Rudy T near tragedy tne NBA mandated three man crews, and there was always one official trailing the players up the court to nip shenanigans in the bud.

In this video you can see Kareem trying to keep Kunnert from collapsing to the floor. Washington had just right crossed him above the eye while Kareem "accidentally" had Kunnert's arms pinned. Calvin Murphy, the fifth player, is about to go after Washington but stopped in horror when he saw Rudy.

Murphy and Washington were trained amatuer boxers, growing up when every City and mid sized town in this country had youth boxing clubs. You could see Kermit assume a boxer's stance as he saw Rudy coming, and you could see him flip his hips like a boxer to get more power into the punch.

To say Rudy's faced was caved in is not hyperbole. His upper jaw was knocked out of alignment with the rest of his skull. His brain capsule was exposed until emergency surgery sealed it amd he was leaking spinal fluid into his mouth.

Washington should have gone to jail

Washington should have gone to jail
He came very close to getting bounced from the league. He had been warned before for his "swing first, ask questions later" type of thuggery.

Ten years later his story almost took an even crazier turn. Tom Davis, who was an assistant coach at American University when Washington played there, had given him a job on his Stanford staff. He was on Mr. Davis's staff when Davis accepted the Iowa job. He turned down the chance to come to Iowa in favor of attempting an NBA comeback, which was short lived. Another Washington, Raveling holdover Rudy, ended up filling David's Iowa staff.

...Tom Chambers (before he outgrew the role).
Slightly more off topic, Tom Chambers is the poster boy for why you should never meet your heroes. Ever.

I was born in Iowa but we moved to Arizona in the 80s for seven years. My dad somehow became friends with the sound guy at America West Arena and he got us in one day to walk around and check stuff out. There happened to be a bunch of players around which as a 10 year old was the coolest thing in the world until we ran into Tom Chambers. That guy was a total fucking dickhead. Complete asshole. I watched an interview with him a while back on YouTube and he's still exactly like I remember him.

Jeff Hornacek and Kevin Johnson---awesome dudes. Can't say enough how cool they were. Tom Chambers? Wouldn't walk across the street to piss on the guy if he was on fire and offering me $1,000.

The other time this happened was at MLB spring training. My old man used to take me down to Hohokam park every year and we'd check out the Angels who had just moved there from Florida. Cubs trained there too...Cactus League. One of my best memories as a kid. Got Jim Abbott's autograph, Wally Joyner, Lance Parrish, Gary Gaetti. Chili Davis gave me a broken bat...

So...after practice one weekend, Bert Blyleven comes walking through and just like in every spring training in history, kids come and mob him for autographs. He's stops and says, "Hang on guys, I'm gonna run in and shower quick and I'll stop back out in a bit," and then he goes in the clubhouse. So being the un-jaded little kid I was, and a big fan of Blyleven (my dad liked him from growing up a Twins fan), I stood there and decided to wait. There was no way I was gonna miss this chance. Not even 2 minutes goes by and he walks out the side door in sweats (there was a fence separating the parking lot), jogs to his car and bails. Now, I don't have a problem not signing autographs for kids. If you have shit to do you have shit to do...I get it. But don't tell a big ass group of little kids your going to "be right back" just to get them to leave you alone so you can leave. That's ultimate level douche.

I can't remember my elementary school teachers' names or what my bicycle was like at 10 years old, but I remember what a POS Blyleven was.

There was a slightly more happy ending to the story, though. After Douchleven left, Dave Winfield came through and said the exact same thing as Bert. I could tell my dad didn't want me to wait again and get crushed, but at that age kids believe everything you tell em. So I waited and about a half hour later Winfield came out in street clothes and signed every goddamn thing that every kid had and even talked to everybody. "How you doin, buddy? You play baseball? That's a nice glove..." Goofy shit like that but I (and I'm sure all the other kids) thought is was the coolest thing I'd ever done. This guy played baseball on TV, for god's sake. I've heard in years since that Winfield is an awesome guy still today and never heard a bad word spoken about him.

Bottom line, think about how you treat little kids; they'll remember it for life whether your famous or not. Oh, and F Tom Chambers and Bert Blyleven.

Slightly more off topic, Tom Chambers is the poster boy for why you should never meet your heroes. Ever.

Dave Winfield did seem to have a smile on his face his whole career playing baseball. But I cant give him a total pass for his part of the gophers attacking OSU center Luke Witte and several other buckeye players. It was a very physical game and Minny had a chance to tie for the Big 10 title back then in '72 iirc but the gopher players have no excuse for what they did and continued to do chasing down opponents and cold cocking them and stomping them.

Winfield's later career was way more positive but it also goes to show that one incident can leave a lasting stain.

Latest posts