OT: Todd Marinovich Story

RoseBowlBound

Who here has seen this so far on espn? It is a great documentary and Marinovich get to tell his story. I defientely came away with a totally different view on him, his father, and that whole situation. Must watch for sports fans and fathers!

The world needs more Marv Marinovichs. Question: What quarterback who went on to become a heroin addict left school as a sophomore with more Rose Bowl victories than Ferentz?

They did a really nice job with it. It's a great story with a strong message that all kids should learn.

No matter how hard he worked, no matter how much he had going for him, he just couldn't overcome his gingerness.

Sad really.

I went to Capo. That was the height of the 70's and 80's divorce craze. Basically none of our parents made it and we were all latch-key kids doing massive amounts of d***s. When Todd said he stated smoking weed when he went to Capo it made total sense. It was about as bad a move as sending your reasonably intelligent kid to a Southern university to play sports. Just sacrificed way too much for football and ended up leading to the downfall.

BTW: my High School coach, Enright, looks brutally old.

I saw it and agree, very well done and interesting. It's always been a fascinating story and even my wife became interested in the ESPN documentary.

He seems like a genuinely good guy with a genuinely big problem. It's not very often you feel sorry for pro athletes that let things get away from them, but in this case, I do.

Saw it last night and couldn't turn it off. Very well done and interesting on many, many levels. I would recommend it to anyone who had a chance to watch it.

I watched! I'm a little young to remember Todd Marinovich when it was happening, but the ESPN film was real good.
Has anyone else also see the film about Chris Herrin, the basketball player? Its also real good. Sad for parts but the happy ending.

I watched! I'm a little young to remember Todd Marinovich when it was happening, but the ESPN film was real good.
Has anyone else also see the film about Chris Herrin, the basketball player? Its also real good. Sad for parts but the happy ending.

Riiiiight

I thought it was great as well. Out of curiosity have they done a Hank Gathers 30 for 30 yet?

Yep, but it is about Westhead and the whole team it is called Guru of Go.

But I have to worn you, it is really, really hard to watch.

Last edited:
I enjoyed story and remember Marinovich well at USC. I was actually hoping for him to fail at the time. Doing drugs were his choice and have no sympathy, but do not feel quite so much disdain about him now.

I thought it was a really good show. I remember thinking at the time that he really sucked, but now realizing that he was probably high a lot of the time, it's no wonder. Still glad to see that he is headed in the right direction now.

Latest posts