OT - NBA Classics

#1DieHardHawk

One of the positives to come out of all the sports cancellations has been the increased airing of NBA classic games. I don't follow the NBA very closely anymore, but was a huge fan in the 80s and early 90s.

I've had a chance to watch a few of the classic Lakers-Celtics playoff games - as well as Lakers-Sixers, Lakers-Pistons, Celtic-Pistons and Bulls-Pistons games - the last week or so, and it's amazing how quickly you can find yourself back in that moment like you never left. What a fun era for basketball fans.

One of the positives to come out of all the sports cancellations has been the increased airing of NBA classic games. I don't follow the NBA very closely anymore, but was a huge fan in the 80s and early 90s.

I've had a chance to watch a few of the classic Lakers-Celtics playoff games - as well as Lakers-Sixers, Lakers-Pistons, Celtic-Pistons and Bulls-Pistons games - the last week or so, and it's amazing how quickly you can find yourself back in that moment like you never left. What a fun era for basketball fans.
My two favorite players growing up were Julius Erving and Moses Malone, and then they would up on the same team!

Moses was the best player and most dominant force in the NBA for three or four years.

My two favorite players growing up were Julius Erving and Moses Malone, and then they would up on the same team!

Moses was the best player and most dominant force in the NBA for three or four years.

One of my favorite basketball teams and I am from Philadelphia

When Moses went up for a shot, people got out of the way. He would break someone's jaw with his head or shoulders if they got in his way

Doctor J was my favorite. That '83 team with Boddy Jones, Maurice Cheeks, Andrew Toney, Mose and Doctor J. was a pleasure to watch

:cool:

One of my favorite basketball teams and I am from Philadelphia

When Moses went up for a shot, people got out of the way. He would break someone's jaw with his head or shoulders if they got in his way

Doctor J was my favorite. That '83 team with Boddy Jones, Maurice Cheeks, Andrew Toney, Mose and Doctor J. was a pleasure to watch

Like the '85 Bears or the '86 Mets they were a one year juggernaut for the ages.

But I liked the 1977 Sixers even better and suspect you did too. Doctor J, George McGinnis, Darryl Dawkins, Doug Collins, World B Free, Jellybean Joe Bryant and many others.

You could make an all star team out of the offspring from that team. Kobe Bryant, Chris Collins, Mike Bibby, Mike Dunleavey, Tamika Catchings.

Hakeem Olajuwon credits Moses with making him a better player from theor summer workouts and pickup games in Houston. Charles Barkley credits Moses with helping him grow up and how to act like a professional.

Last edited:
My son and I met Dr. J a couple of years ago.

We were vacationing in Jamaica and at the airport waiting to fly out, when an announcement for "Julius Erving" to report to the ticket counter came over the speakers. My wife and I looked at each like, "Do you think it's possible?" Sure enough, a few minutes later he walked by.

I talked with him briefly and my son, who was 11 at the time, took some pictures with him. Very gracious guy.

Last edited:

Moses was a wrecking ball and the king of the "put-back" for sure (he also had arguably the best "subtle" forearm shove in NBA history). Just a tough, gritty player, who also had a mean baseline shot from about 10 feet.

Not sure I would say he was the best and most dominant during that time, though. Magic, Bird and Kareem each could lay claim to that title. Not to take anything from him, but Moses benefitted quite a bit from other teams not really scheming against him. To his credit, though, he made them pay and then some.

Moses was a wrecking ball and the king of the "put-back" for sure (he also had arguably the best "subtle" forearm shove in NBA history). Just a tough, gritty player, who also had a mean baseline shot from about 10 feet.

Not sure I would say he was the best and most dominant during that time, though. Magic, Bird and Kareem each could lay claim to that title. Not to take anything from him, but Moses benefitted quite a bit from other teams not really scheming against him. To his credit, though, he made them pay and then some.
Moses was the league MVP at least twice (1979, 1983)

Kareem was dominant just before that era and I think he is actually a little bit underrated historically, especially if you take his UCLA accomplishments into account as well. But I think Moses surpassed him by the turn of the decade. He carried the 1981 Houston Rockets on his back and took an average team all the way to the NBA finals (benefitting from Magic's season ending knee injury) and had 1,444 rebounds in 1979.

Bird and Magic, while each winning championships in the early eighties, probably didn't truly surpass Moses until the 1984-87 era, when they faced off against each other in the finals three times in four years. Jordan truly arrived in 1987 after missing most of 1986 with a foot injury and would soon lay rest to all debates.

80’s were my favorite overall era for all sports. Loved the Showtime Lakers and Magic

Kareem has called the 6'7 Unseld one of the best defenders he ever went up against.

You also had Greg Ballard and Bobby Dandridge on those teams.

Should have won more championships. Unseld one of the best human beings in a NBA uniform ever. Though Hayes wasn't known for being a great human, one has to admire his overcoming his past and tenacity.

Miss the days of admiring NBA players. Todays media though would have maybe played the same then.

Should have won more championships. Unseld one of the best human beings in a NBA uniform ever. Though Hayes wasn't known for being a great human, one has to admire his overcoming his past and tenacity.

Miss the days of admiring NBA players. Todays media though would have maybe played the same then.
Used to love it when the PA announcer would go "ELLLL-VINNNN HAAAAYES!!! after a basket.

Those Bullets teams were a force but you had the Bucks and Knicks early in the decade and the Celtics in the middle of it. Some stiff postseason competition. The Bulls had some good teams in that era and never got past the conference finals (they were in the Western Conference in those days)

Moses was the league MVP at least twice (1979, 1983)

Kareem was dominant just before that era and I think he is actually a little bit underrated historically, especially if you take his UCLA accomplishments into account as well. But I think Moses surpassed him by the turn of the decade. He carried the 1981 Houston Rockets on his back and took an average team all the way to the NBA finals (benefitting from Magic's season ending knee injury) and had 1,444 rebounds in 1979.

Bird and Magic, while each winning championships in the early eighties, probably didn't truly surpass Moses until the 1984-87 era, when they faced off against each other in the finals three times in four years. Jordan truly arrived in 1987 after missing most of 1986 with a foot injury and would soon lay rest to all debates.
Moses had a couple of outstanding seasons, no doubt. I agree he kind of fell in that window between Kareem's decline and Magic and Bird's ascension.

It's too bad that many fans didn't take advantage of the opportunity to watch Kareem during his peak. He absolutely tore the league apart during the 70s. When he left for the Lakers is when I became a Lakers fan, which was further reinforced when they added Magic and Worthy.

My only knock on Kareem from a play standpoint would have been his unwillingness to give extra effort defensively. It became much more of an emphasis in the 80s, but he stubbornly refused to work at it. He had a tendency to turn his body and put up little resistance in the post, which was infuriating at times (and comically made fun of in the movie, "Airplane!" ...). If he had dedicated himself on that end, he easily would be in the discussion of GOAT to this day. His standoffish personality hasn't served him well in that regard either.

Moses had a couple of outstanding seasons, no doubt. I agree he kind of fell in that window between Kareem's decline and Magic and Bird's ascension.

It's too bad that many fans didn't take advantage of the opportunity to watch Kareem during his peak. He absolutely tore the league apart during the 70s. When he left for the Lakers is when I became a Lakers fan, which was further reinforced when they added Magic and Worthy.

My only knock on Kareem from a play standpoint would have been his unwillingness to give extra effort defensively. It became much more of an emphasis in the 80s, but he stubbornly refused to work at it. He had a tendency to turn his body and put up little resistance in the post, which was infuriating at times (and comically made fun of in the movie, "Airplane!" ...). If he had dedicated himself on that end, he easily would be in the discussion of GOAT to this day. His standoffish personality hasn't served him well in that regard either.

Kurt Rambis, who's name recently came up in another NBA discussion on enforcers, was brought in as much as anything else to guard the opposing team's big man and conserve Kareem's energy. It was one of the reasons Kareem played until he was 42 years old.

His last hurrah of true greatness was in the 1985 NBA championship round against the Celtics when Pat Riley was able to motivate him to find the fountain of youth one last time and put a stop to Robert Parish destroying the Lakers. Parrish himself ended up getting destroyed by a suddenly motivated Kareem. The Lakers went on to three more finals appearances and two more titles in the eighties but Kareem was pretty much a passenger by then. It was clearly Magic's show by then.

Kurt Rambis, who's name recently came up in another NBA discussion on enforcers, was brought in as much as anything else to guard the opposing team's big man and conserve Kareem's energy. It was one of the reasons Kareem played until he was 42 years old.

His last hurrah of true greatness was in the 1985 NBA championship round against the Celtics when Pat Riley was able to motivate him to find the fountain of youth one last time and put a stop to Robert Parish destroying the Lakers. Parrish himself ended up getting destroyed by a suddenly motivated Kareem. The Lakers went on to three more finals appearances and two more titles in the eighties but Kareem was pretty much a passenger by then. It was clearly Magic's show by then.
Actually, Pat Riley had little to do with it.

The story was Kareem sat silent watching film session where Parrish beat him up and down the court over and over again. He sat there stone-faced the entire meeting and didn't utter a word.

The next day he showed up and was running up and down the court during practice like a wild man. Riley later said that he tried to get him to rest, but Kareem completely ignored him. He played the rest of the series with a completely new energy. Chalk that one up to damaged pride.

Speaking of Kurt Rambis, check out #2 here:

Also, very few are aware that Rambis was only about 215 lbs (I'm the same weight at 5'11"). It's fairly amazing that he was tasked night in and night out with banging with the opponent's primary post player.

Actually, Pat Riley had little to do with it.

The story was Kareem sat silent watching film session where Parrish beat him up and down the court over and over again. He sat there stone-faced the entire meeting and didn't utter a word.

The next day he showed up and was running up and down the court during practice like a wild man. Riley later said that he tried to get him to rest, but Kareem completely ignored him. He played the rest of the series with a completely new energy. Chalk that one up to damaged pride.
The great ones can find that inner something. It's part of what makes them great.

Kareem wasn't concerned about saving some of his practice energy for the game, even if his coach was. Young Michael would get so pissed in practice scrimmages that Kevin Loughery or Doug Collins would switch him to the other team, then Jordan would get doubly pissed and the score would even out in a hurry.

Larry Bird once leaned over in a timeout as KC Jones was drawing up a potential game winning play, wiped the board clean with his towel, and mumbled "gimme the ball"

Muhammad Ali found enough of a burst of energy from somewhere to fend off Joe Frazier in their third fight, even as Frazier what beating the crap out of him.

Franz Klammer in the 1976 Olympics found speed in areas of the mountain where no other skiiers dared venture because it was thought to be too dangerous.

Dale Earnhardt made passes in areas where other drivers swore there was no room or time (and sometimes were proven correct)

Tiger Woods hits shots to win tournaments that other golfers wouldn't dare attempting.

Like the '85 Bears or the '86 Mets they were a one year juggernaut for the ages.

But I liked the 1977 Sixers even better and suspect you did too. Doctor J, George McGinnis, Darryl Dawkins, Doug Collins, World B Free, Jellybean Joe Bryant and many others.

You could make an all star team out of the offspring from that team. Kobe Bryant, Chris Collins, Mike Bibby, Mike Dunleavey, Tamika Catchings.

Hakeem Olajuwon credits Moses with making him a better player from theor summer workouts and pickup games in Houston. Charles Barkley credits Moses with helping him grow up and how to act like a professional.

Loved the SIxers '87 team but felt a bit of anguish when they won the first 2 games against the Portland TraiilBlazer in the World Championship and then lost 4 in a row. Friends of mine in DM relished the situation basking in the pain I was experiencing.....

When Kareem was Lou Alcindor at UCLA, Drake almost beat them in the NCAA Four in 1969. Dolph Pullam was fouled on a last-second shot, which, of course, was not called. The game was on my birthday and I thought I was getting the ultimate present.....

Years later, Kareem said that the Drake game was one of, if not the Toughest game he ever played.....

I went to every home Drake game that season at Vets Auditorium. A friend of mine was a professor at Drake and knew someone in the Printing Business and he had faculty passes made for us. Bingo!

That was a great team. The MVC was called the Valley of Death then. Louisville, Cincinnati, Witchita, Memphis State, and North Texas State, now Texas-El Paso.....

That was one of my favorite basketball teams ever, along with Mr. Davis's first-year team, Ralph Miller's team with Downtown Freddy Brown and John Johnson who started for the World Championship Seattle Supersonics.....

That Drake team had Willie McCarter, Dolph Pullium, Willie Wise, Don Draper, who always made the first shot of the game, a long two-pointer, one of today's three-pointers. Made one Every game right out of the box, They also had Rick Wanamaker and Al Williams. They played some of the best D ever, Maury John's Belly Button Defense.....

Bastards don't even mention The Bulldogs.....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesm...pset-in-ncaa-basketball-history/#1a4863055cec

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-tournament-1969-mvc-ucla-bracket/3055845002/

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2008-mar-21-sp-drake21-story.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1969-03-20-drake.html

Damn, that wore me out.....

And don't forget about the Wisconsin tourism commercial (sequel). :)

Who's airing them? ESPN? I don't even know who would own the rights to all those old games.

Latest posts