OSU loses top recruit to Michigan...

KKHawk1

Ohio State Buckeyes 2012 recruit Kyle Kalis now headed to Michigan Wolverines - ESPN

I love this quote..."I can't go there (Ohio State) and take penalties for something I never did," Kalis told ESPN.com on Monday. "Ohio State is a great program. I'm just not sure how long it will take them to recover. I want a solid, grounded coaching staff with a safe environment. Where there aren't such tough questions."

Wasn't Michigan in a similar, albeit not as severe, situation a couple months ago?

Three of the top ten prospects in Ohio have committed to Michigan. In addition, Michigan has commitments from six (two 4* prospects) other Ohio kids.

Recently, another top ten prospect, Se'Von Pittman of Canton McKinley, committed to Michigan State. Not that long ago he was considered a lock for the Bucks.

Further, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, West Virginia & Wisconsin have commitments from 4* Ohio prospects. O$U is having a very bad year with in-state kids.

The Kalis commitment has been in the works for weeks now, wasn't a surprise. UM has only gotten commits from 2 OH kids that OSU offered, Stroebel and Kalis. The uncertainty of the coaching staff is a major problem which is why waiting 8 months to conduct your coaching search may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. OSU's '12 class will be substandard but the 2013 kids are very pro-OSU so it should just be back to normal next year assuming the sanctions are what OSU is expecting.

The Kalis commitment has been in the works for weeks now, wasn't a surprise. UM has only gotten commits from 2 OH kids that OSU offered, Stroebel and Kalis. The uncertainty of the coaching staff is a major problem which is why waiting 8 months to conduct your coaching search may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. OSU's '12 class will be substandard but the 2013 kids are very pro-OSU so it should just be back to normal next year assuming the sanctions are what OSU is expecting.

what would that be?

What they self imposed, maybe ncaa adds a one year bowl ban. Gene Smith is pretty tight with the NCAA decision makers, so unless he is even more incompetent than we think he has to have a pretty good idea of what they will accept before he self imposed the penalties. He met with the OSU board of trustees this weekend and was confident that OSU did enough to satisfy the NCAA. So either other fans will be outraged if the punishment stands or he made a huge blunder and the NCAA will hammer OSU. Knowing how tied in Smith is to the NCAA I would assume he didn't make an error that would definitely coat him his job.

What they self imposed, maybe ncaa adds a one year bowl ban. Gene Smith is pretty tight with the NCAA decision makers, so unless he is even more incompetent than we think he has to have a pretty good idea of what they will accept before he self imposed the penalties. He met with the OSU board of trustees this weekend and was confident that OSU did enough to satisfy the NCAA. So either other fans will be outraged if the punishment stands or he made a huge blunder and the NCAA will hammer OSU. Knowing how tied in Smith is to the NCAA I would assume he didn't make an error that would definitely coat him his job.

I feel like I've heard this from fufu before....

"you realize of course that the university has been in contact with the NCAA on this for awhile. This didn't just spring up last night when the yahoo story broke. I think OSU has a pretty good idea what the NCAA reaction to their sanctions will be. If you think this incident will cost Tressel his job you really have no idea what you are talking about."

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/26087-ohio-st-suspends-tressell-2-games-3.html

Oh yeah, I have, maybe OSU really does not have any idea what to expect.

Lol...Uh quite a bit happened after that post to get where we are today. Car-gate, SI story, Pryors car exploits....at least put it in context. I don't have a ton of confidence in Gene Smith so he could really have screwed this up. We'll know in a few months. If ESPN's lawsuit against OSU turns up what ESPN thinks it will all this other stuff will be a drop in the bucket....could be game over

If O$U has a bit of an institutional control problem, scholarship limitations would be in order. Michigan could really stand to gain very quickly with their new coach. Timing is everything. Hoke is coming into his role at a very good time, IMHO. If the hammer does drop on O$U, and UM gets 2-3 years of great recruiting, the O$U v. UM game will be interesting again.

While 13 potential recruits may be high on OSU there is alot yet to come. While the investigation drags on sanctions further discoveries await. USC said the same thing prior to the sanctions that gutted them for 2 years. A few years bowl ban, loss of rides etc will cause for a pause by many recruits- Ohio natives among them.

Until all is wrapped up the effect will continue to linger.

If O$U has a bit of an institutional control problem, scholarship limitations would be in order. Michigan could really stand to gain very quickly with their new coach. Timing is everything. Hoke is coming into his role at a very good time, IMHO. If the hammer does drop on O$U, and UM gets 2-3 years of great recruiting, the O$U v. UM game will be interesting again.

Had there been a LOIC charge in the notice I would agree. With that not even on the table at this point it makes discussing it rather pointless.

Lol...Uh quite a bit happened after that post to get where we are today. Car-gate, SI story, Pryors car exploits....at least put it in context. I don't have a ton of confidence in Gene Smith so he could really have screwed this up. We'll know in a few months. If ESPN's lawsuit against OSU turns up what ESPN thinks it will all this other stuff will be a drop in the bucket....could be game over

So then it's fair to say you had no idea what you were talking about when you made that post then, right?

ESPN and others are suing OSU for info they don't want released. I would bet there is more info still to come out. I've seen a lot of OSU fans post something to the affect: "It's basically all over and a done deal. The worst is behind us and we've been vindicated. We didn't do anything worthy of the antipathy hurled at us."

Casey Anthony will be giving the commencement speech at OSU in 2012.

ESPN is hoping to find e-mails from JT to Gene Smith where JT alerted Smith of what was going on. If those e-mails exist then its lights out for OSU....

ESPN is hoping to find e-mails from JT to Gene Smith where JT alerted Smith of what was going on. If those e-mails exist then its lights out for OSU....

Not disputing this. But none of us knows what is in the private communications of the coaches/AD/Univ Administration.

I think ESPN might be joined by other organizations in seeking these records. Don't they also want access to student-athlete records?

Latest posts