Opting out of conference tournaments?

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

ESPN ran a story about some teams electing to opt-out of their conference post-season tournaments, before March Madness, especially if they already know they will receive a good/decent seed. Did anyone else catch this? It would appear that this is a completely internal choice, for obvious Covid risk reasons. Would the conference have a say? I don't believe so, I mean, if a team has legit concerns, I cant see the grand-pooh-bah-do-da's forcing them to play. But what if a team has no legit concerns, has just packed in for the year and doesn't want another loss on their records? How would a conference seed the tourney then? Thoughts?

ESPN ran a story about some teams electing to opt-out of their conference post-season tournaments, before March Madness, especially if they already know they will receive a good/decent seed. Did anyone else catch this? It would appear that this is a completely internal choice, for obvious Covid risk reasons. Would the conference have a say? I don't believe so, I mean, if a team has legit concerns, I cant see the grand-pooh-bah-do-da's forcing them to play. But what if a team has no legit concerns, has just packed in for the year and doesn't want another loss on their records? How would a conference seed the tourney then? Thoughts?
Just my guess...There will be no opting out. The conference cancels the tournament or every team plays.

IMHO....unless there is a legit medical reason (current case of Covid spreading on the team for example, or if the Conference has to cancel it for legit reason for everyone) the NCAA should disqualify a team from a Top 3 seed who skip a conference tournament. That would end that shit quick.

Or some type of penalty that would reducing seating in some way.

Just my guess...There will be no opting out. The conference cancels the tournament or every team plays.
This is the correct answer. That's the whole point of conferences. So they can jointly make decisions on such things. Neb wasn't allowed to go schedule their own Non con games on a whim without the conferences blessing and this is similar.

I don't get the whole opting out of it anyway. If that's the case why are they out traveling and playing how they've been so far? If anything being quaranteed up for a long weekend would be safer then how they are free to roam around campus like they are now.. So let's get fired up for it. The more games the better. I can't get enough of this team and Garza.

Latest posts