Open Look: Hawkeyes Look to Get Back on Track Against No. 9 Michigan St.

This is not that special of a Sparty team, at least right now. Sounds like McQuaid is still out. He is their top perimeter defender and can knock down outside shots. Without him they don’t have a lot of depth.

With that said this is Iowa’s first true road game of the year. Last year they got blown out in basically every true road game. If Iowa is within striking distance with 4 minutes left I’d be happy.

Winston is gonna be a bitch for Iowa to handle on the perimeter....I don't really see how they can stop him or who can guard him. Not to mention our zone tends to let up a lot of wide open 3s and he's currently a 43% shooter

This game has trouble written all over it.

Winston is gonna be a bitch for Iowa to handle on the perimeter....I don't really see how they can stop him or who can guard him. Not to mention our zone tends to let up a lot of wide open 3s and he's currently a 43% shooter

PS - last time I said Bol Bol was going to dominate us I was wrong and Iowa won the game. So we've got that going for us.

Winston really isn’t the blow by you lightning quick type of point guard. He likes to play in the pick and roll and is a very good passer who can shoot from the outside.

Michigan State is a three headed snake right now with Winston, Ward, and Langford. If Iowa can limit one of those three and not let any of the other role guys go off this could be a competitive game. We shall see as usually the role players make a bigger impact in their home gym.

Winston really isn’t the blow by you lightning quick type of point guard. He likes to play in the pick and roll and is a very good passer who can shoot from the outside.

Michigan State is a three headed snake right now with Winston, Ward, and Langford. If Iowa can limit one of those three and not let any of the other role guys go off this could be a competitive game. We shall see as usually the role players make a bigger impact in their home gym.

agreed. I just fear another 0-2 big ten start with Iowa State coming to town. That could be a recipe for disaster.

agreed. I just fear another 0-2 big ten start with Iowa State coming to town. That could be a recipe for disaster.
I tried to say that a little last week. I went as far as to say the Wisconsin game was close to a must win game, which seems odd given the great start we had.

Tonight’s game looks like a likely loss and then Iowa State who is up to 17 in Kenpom comes to town and that game will probably be a pick em type game.

The B1G schedule when it resumes doesn’t get any easier as we then go to Mackey arena (Purdue #14 Kenpom) and host Nebraska (17 Kenpom). An 0-4 start in B1G play is not out of the question not to mention we then go to NW where we haven’t had much success. At that point it’s hard to see where the season goes but that deficit would likely be too tough to overcome. From the get go I never liked the way this schedule set up.

Anyways that’s all a long way off. In a way this team has overachieved in results thus far but may be about the team we thought they were. I have some reason for hope and some reasons for pause. Maybe they can pull a rabbit out of their hat and steal one tonight.

I didn't realize we were 2 for 13 against MSU recently. But I almost always expect a loss @ the Breslin Center, so I it makes sense.

I didn't realize we were 2 for 13 against MSU recently. But I almost always expect a loss @ the Breslin Center, so I it makes sense.
That being the case those two wins came in a 3 week span Uthoff’s senior year and were what propelled us to the #3 ranking.

That being the case those two wins came in a 3 week span Uthoff’s senior year and were what propelled us to the #3 ranking.
Yep. And Sapp's defense on Bryn Forbes was the difference in those games. They grew up together and Sapp knew how to lock him down.

Go 1-1 this week puts us at 7-2 and we should have no problem winning the next 4 games. If you would’ve told me we’d be 11-2 to start the year I’d be ecstatic. Only downfall is those 2 losses will most likely be in Conference play.

Go 2-0 this week, Hawks should start 12-1 and 1-1 in Conference and be well on our way to the dance. HUGE opportunity this week, let’s see how this team answers adversity from our loss to Wisky

Their young guys will only get better. If we have to play them on the road I prefer doing it early.
Agreed. And without McQuaid one of their veteran leaders that helps.

I’m going into this one with a similar mindset as I did the Oregon game. Keep it close and see what happens. The only difference is this is a true road game which is that much more difficult to win.