One of Boise or TCU is gonna get left out

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I was looking over the BCS rules again tonight...I have been thinking that if TCU and Boise were both inside the final Top 4, each would get an auto bid. BUT I think that is only reserved for teams in the 6 BCS leagues (the top four, auto bid...meaning if you finish 3 or 4, and you are in a BCS league, you are automatically in BCS)

Check this out, from BCS

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. (Note: a second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if no team qualifies under paragraph No. 5 and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.
xxxxxxxxx

So one of them is gonna get left out

I can see the argument for not putting Boise in the title game.

But the fact that there could easily be 3-4 loss teams in the BCS while Boise stays home is an absolute joke. I saw some of the projected BCS matchups today and almost threw up. Virginia Tech/Oklahoma State in the Orange Bowl? Yikes.

The Orange Bowl, which has had nothing but crummy games of late ........

did they not watch the last Orange Bowl????

Im semi on board the TCU train....they look good

They have looked good too, I think they are very legit contenders. It has taken some time because I did watch them play SMU 4-5 weeks ago and they didn't look real good in beating the Mustangs then.

This whole system is a joke. Prove it on the field, like every other sport.

And I really "love" the comment about the SEC blowing out another Big Ten team in the Sugar Bowl. Really? Really?! LOL...

If they are both in the top 4, I don't see them getting left out. I hope it does though. Think if Boise/TCU upset Oregon in the NCG, and the other got left out of the BCS games altogether? If that wouldn't get Congress to reform the system, nothing ever would.

My guess on what happens: Auburn drops a game, the Oregon finishes undefeated.

TCU gets to #2 and plays for the national championship.

My understanding is this: the Rose Bowl only HAS to take a mid major if they are an automatic qualifier....as long as one of TCU/Boise gets in, the BCS is NOT required to take the other.

So my guess: the Rose won't be obligated to take Boise State, and they'll see an opportunity to take Stanford instead with their at large to replace Oregon. Then the Rose gets a traditional Big Ten/Pac Ten Rose Bowl.

Just my take on how things will shake out.

Latest posts