One first half drought and few free throw misses from solid win

uihawk82

The hawks had a 10 point lead and missed some ill timed 3 pointers in the first half over a 3 minute span to give ISU life.

Even at that the hawks really outplayed ISU in the first half.

The hawks held them off in the second and except for those last really bad free throw misses this team has a solid win.

My point is that this is still a really good team, Woody is playing plus minutes, Uthoff is solid, marble and white need to be the leaders.

Gesell had a great game until the very end but he will get better on those free throws.

Some players need less minutes on the road.

The hawks had a 10 point lead and missed some ill timed 3 pointers in the first half over a 3 minute span to give ISU life.

The hawks held them off in the second and except for those last really bad free throw misses this team has a solid win.

My point is that this is still a really good team, Woody is playing plus minutes, Uthoff is solid, marble and white need to be the leaders.

Gesell had a great game until the very end but he will get better on those free throws.

Once the conference games begin, Jok won't get more than 5 or 6 minutes a game. He made two dumb turnovers tonight and attempted a couple wild shots that didn't go in. Oglesby will get about 10 to 15 minutes per game in conference, taking a lot of minutes from Jok. Olaseni will probably get a lot less time as McCabe's minutes to up. I don't think Uthoff's minutes will go down too much though. He's pretty good and coach McCaffery seems to keep him in games at critical times, showing a lot of confidence in him.

If ISU makes their FT this game would have been over.

JU's first real pressure game. I thought he was solid overall and will get better. I liked what Woody gave us. When Josh is ready to go I think his minutes will be an upgrade. I don't expect us to go 1-6 on FT's to close out games too many nights. Whitey had a big night and played like a leader. I expect JU to be the primary difference in this year as we close out games as the season wears on. He'll be another good option. I really liked how Mike pushed the ball and ran the team tonight, unfortunately he clanked some key FT's. We had some better looks down the stretch then we had in many games last year, we just didn't knock 'em down.

The frustration on the board stems from some overly wild optimism that will be very difficult to achieve. Going on the road in an arch rival game against a ranked team and leading for probably 38 minutes is not the worst thing in the world. I think most of us believe we're the better team. Let's remember it's a long year and we'll have some home cooking as the season goes on too.

Once the conference games begin, Jok won't get more than 5 or 6 minutes a game. He made two dumb turnovers tonight and attempted a couple wild shots that didn't go in. Oglesby will get about 10 to 15 minutes per game in conference, taking a lot of minutes from Jok. Olaseni will probably get a lot less time as McCabe's minutes to up. I don't think Uthoff's minutes will go down too much though. He's pretty good and coach McCaffery seems to keep him in games at critical times, showing a lot of confidence in him.
You could be right. JO won't make any difference though. The kid is not a pressure performer and that's what we needed tonight.

So we can now plan on several possesions where Oglesby chucks up a brick and wastes a possession. Jok is young and I still have hope that he may someday help the team. With Oglesby I've given up hope.

So we can now plan on several possesions where Oglesby chucks up a brick and wastes a possession. Jok is young and I still have hope that he may someday help the team. With Oglesby I've given up hope.

I predict Oglesby will make 36% to 40% of this 3-shot attempts and will be a lot better on defense than Jok, who needs a year to learn how to play defense. McCaffery said Ogelsby showed the most improvement in perimeter defense.

JU's first real pressure game. I thought he was solid overall and will get better. I liked what Woody gave us. When Josh is ready to go I think his minutes will be an upgrade. I don't expect us to go 1-6 on FT's to close out games too many nights. Whitey had a big night and played like a leader. I expect JU to be the primary difference in this year as we close out games as the season wears on. He'll be another good option. I really liked how Mike pushed the ball and ran the team tonight, unfortunately he clanked some key FT's. We had some better looks down the stretch then we had in many games last year, we just didn't knock 'em down.

The frustration on the board stems from some overly wild optimism that will be very difficult to achieve. Going on the road in an arch rival game against a ranked team and leading for probably 38 minutes is not the worst thing in the world. I think most of us believe we're the better team. Let's remember it's a long year and we'll have some home cooking as the season goes on too.

Wrong.

The frustration stems from the fact that blowing games like last night is a clear trend that has been happening for the past year and a half. Iowa lost 7 games by 4 points or less last year, if what I read this morning is accurate. That trend has carried over into this year so far, too: Two games against ranked opponents with double digit leads, and Iowa blew both in spectacular fashion.

The frustration is not coming from "unrealistic expectations". It doesn't really matter if you are the better team if you don't win. It's the scoreboard that counts.

It doesn't matter if we led for 38 minutes, either. It only matters who has the lead when the clock reads 00:00. Last I checked, that wasn't us. No more moral victories.

I understand the late game meltdown issue but lack of a closer has been a concern before the first tipoff in the exhibition game. I don't think it's that easy to change and those who were expecting the Hawks to win all the close ones this year do have unrealistic expectations IMO. We had a bunch of chances to close it out, and didn't get it done. A lot of people contributed to that. A sweet 16 or elite 8 finish is probably not in the cards for this group. It could happen, but there's a bunch we need to work on to make it so. Anyone who is honestly expecting this is dreaming, but I'm very convinced that this is an NCAA team this season.

I do think we'll do better as JU gets more tight game experience. I want the ball in his hands when we know we'll be fouled. I expect Zach to do better than last night. Like it or not Josh will be a stabilizing influence down the stretch. Peter will get an education on the value of the ball and what is a good shot. We won't end a game 1-6 at the line the rest of the year.

I am so sick of these comments on JO. I have said it before, to pretend that his numbers will not improve is just ignorant. To throw someone under the bus when he still has to play as a junior and senior, the two years where most college players begin to show their development, is uncalled for. His defense alone gives him minutes on this team.

The rationalization and moral victoriousness in this thread is more befitting Clown fans.

Don't be PWOUD, guys. Win.

Latest posts