Olaseni

dmShortSaledude

If Gabe doesn't learn the basics of blocking out for a rebound, I am going to explode. I know he doesn't have the experience, but it was instincts by the time I reached high school. Always know where your man is, and make sure he will always be between you & the basket. While continually keeping your other eye on the ball... Argh

Side note, we brought Pat Ingram in for his defense. He plays lazy defense. At least throw a hand in the shooters face Pat. Wth

/Rant

I could not agree more, especially on defense. He let himself get blocked out at least twice and it led to 2 easy scores. Had the ball came his direction he would have been called for over the back.

"Always know where your man is, and make sure he will always be between you & the basket."

Sounds like you were the one being blocked out

If Gabe doesn't learn the basics of blocking out for a rebound, I am going to explode. I know he doesn't have the experience, but it was instincts by the time I reached high school. Always know where your man is, and make sure he will always be between you & the basket. While continually keeping your other eye on the ball... Argh

Side note, we brought Pat Ingram in for his defense. He plays lazy defense. At least throw a hand in the shooters face Pat. Wth

/Rant

There are a couple of issues about blocking out. You either don't know how to do it or you aren't quick enough. Neither are very positive. If you don't know how, that is on the coach. If you aren't athletic enough, that is eventually on the coach.

There are a couple of issues about blocking out. You either don't know how to do it or you aren't quick enough. Neither are very positive. If you don't know how, that is on the coach. If you aren't athletic enough, that is eventually on the coach.

He's quick and athletic enough. Guy just started playing ball a few years ago and he's still learning. He does need to understand the importance of that soon though no doubt.

He's quick and athletic enough. Guy just started playing ball a few years ago and he's still learning. He does need to understand the importance of that soon though no doubt.

Sorry, but if he's a good athlete, it doesn't take years to figure out blocking out. One of the basics. I can teach 8 yo's how to do it consistently. 18 yo's, either do it or they don't. These guys play one heck of a lot of basketball. The best way to learn is to play against people who know how to do it in practice...hmmmm

I would love to hear Sioux's assessment but I think Gabes problem is the way he is guarding his man before the shot is made, denying him the ball. I have not watched the game a 2nd time (nor will I) but I remember he kept guarding his guy over the wrong shoulder putting his back a way from the basket. I would almost rather see Gabe allow his guy to get the ball and then use his shot blocking ability to deny his guy the basket. Giving up easy 2nd chance points to me is worse than a turnover.

Hey probably doesn't yet fully grasp when you can and can't be physical. You can be more physical on box out than probably any other situation. Stuff that would be a foul any other time isn't for some reason.

I would love to hear Sioux's assessment but I think Gabes problem is the way he is guarding his man before the shot is made, denying him the ball. I have not watched the game a 2nd time (nor will I) but I remember he kept guarding his guy over the wrong shoulder putting his back a way from the basket. I would almost rather see Gabe allow his guy to get the ball and then use his shot blocking ability to deny his guy the basket. Giving up easy 2nd chance points to me is worse than a turnover.
Agree 100%

My assessment is that he still does not understand proper positioning He has the physical ability, he just does not appear to understand where he should be and when. He is out of position on D most of the time. He loses positional awareness of his man frequently and this results in his inability to block out on rebounds. As far as whether he should be denying the entry post pass to the block. That really depends on the offensive ability of the man he is guarding. If Gabe can keep his man from scoring from the block then I am OK letting him stand behind his man. My guess is that he would not be able to stop most of the 5's he will face in the Big Ten once the establish good position with the ball on the block, so he still needs to try and keep the ball or the player off the block.

Olesani and most of the team needs to focus on sprinting back on defense, that many alley oops just can't happen, it should be embarrassing to the players. There were a couple times the guys we had on the court were simply not fast enough to get back in time, the Michigan players are very fast, which I can accept, but lack of focus and effort I can't.

Hard to be too critical of Olaseni, as he is who he is. Personally, I am not a fan of some of the project players McCaffrey has brought in. I get that we can't land superstars etc., but get guys who can at least do one thing well (rebound, shoot, defend, penetrate). Olaseni should have played more last year. Ingram should have been red shirted or not offered, given the needs on this team. Cy Tate and Doug Thomas were not the most polished when they came to IC, but they had big ten bodies and could bang.

Coming away from the game I want to see more Ingram and Olaseni, less of M&M...take lumps with youth and not players that have more limitations. Woodbury and Basabe are the only two frontcourt players that understand the concept of blocking out and it is all about effort and little else.

Sorry, but if he's a good athlete, it doesn't take years to figure out blocking out. One of the basics. I can teach 8 yo's how to do it consistently. 18 yo's, either do it or they don't. These guys play one heck of a lot of basketball. The best way to learn is to play against people who know how to do it in practice...hmmmm

And yet he's still way ahead of where he was last year. Guy was completely lost last year as we saw during the limited minutes he played. Let's give him til the end of the year and see how much he's improved.

And yet he's still way ahead of where he was last year. Guy was completely lost last year as we saw during the limited minutes he played. Let's give him til the end of the year and see how much he's improved.

I cannot say I disagree, what I see on the court is fixable and will improve with experience. I think the talent is there, just not the technique.

I can not understand why Woody was not on the floor more. Of all the Hawks out there, I think he was looking the best.

Gabe did more bad things then good things on the road against the number 2 team in the nation but he definitely showed some promise. If he keeps improving like this he will be getting all of McCabe's minutes by the end of the year.

Latest posts