OK HN, it's Game Day, how do the players/coaches respond heading into Dayton?

NEIChawk

Today is full of emotion going back to the collapse of the last two-three weeks, and Fran and family battling surgical procedures on their son....Just curious on what people think...

Today we need to be positive. The majority of us have been frustrated and dumbfounded at what has happened the last 7 games. Today is bigger than all that. Most importantly, let's all pray that everything goes smoothly for Pat. After that, I am hopeful we will see an inspired Hawkeye team go get a win tonight and keep this season going.

Honestly the answer is who knows...this team has just looked like they have been uninterested the last few games so who knows what will happen tonight.

This team will come out smoking, No doudt in my mind. BUT we could sure stand to have some good things happen early. Confidence is fragil at this point. A couple 3s, a dunk, A block, Good thing early would be huge GO HAWKS

up until today I said 1 and done, but for some reason I feel good about this game now. I like our chances.

If the root of the struggles isn't an internal team issue I think if everything goes well with Pat's surgery and Fran is able to get to Dayton in time i think that could be the breath of fresh air this team needs to rediscover themselves. I also think if Pat's surgery goes well, even if Fran can't get back in time I think that just knowing he's ok will help the plyaers psyche. They're a family and its never easy knowing that someone that close to you is going through a surgical procedure regardless of what type of surgery it is.

Side note, could you imagine the crowd and chills going through the fans if Fran were to come out of the tunnel midway through the opening half. Think of the spark that would ignite.

RockyBalboa-725587.jpg

My heart tells me they will be the Hawks we saw for the first 3/4 of the season. The back of my mind says this team is broken and you can't just flip a switch to get it going again. I just hope they have some reserve left in the tank because this isn't some amazing Tennessee team. A win tonight and an upset of UMass, and who knows what can happen against Duke.

If the root of the struggles isn't an internal team issue I think if everything goes well with Pat's surgery and Fran is able to get to Dayton in time i think that could be the breath of fresh air this team needs to rediscover themselves. I also think if Pat's surgery goes well, even if Fran can't get back in time I think that just knowing he's ok will help the plyaers psyche. They're a family and its never easy knowing that someone that close to you is going through a surgical procedure regardless of what type of surgery it is.

Yeah, but the surgery is only hurdle #1. As I understand it, the test results take another couple days - that's hurdle #2. Surgery is always a scary prospect (especially when it's your kid), but there's a 99.9% chance he'll come through that just fine - the real mental burden (i.e. the test results) will still be hanging in the air.

As far as the team goes, something has been amiss chemistry-wise WELL before anyone on the team knew about Pat's surgery (they only found out right before the BTT). The idea that "The Skid" was in anyway attributable to Pat's issue doesn't hold much water - this team has deep on court chemistry issues (and I don't mean "the players don't get along" - I mean basketball is a very fluid/organic sport...the line between a team being "in the flow" and a team being "out of synch" is a very fine one - I know which side of that line this team falls on).

Side note, could you imagine the crowd and chills going through the fans if Fran were to come out of the tunnel midway through the opening half. Think of the spark that would ignite.

"Tears in his eyes, I guess...former Siena coach...coaching his first NCAA as a Hawkeye...

...Coming out of the time-out, looks like their setting up for...Marble for a 3...he got all of that (net!)...Hawks with th ball again, I think they'll go to Oglesby, dontcha think?...another 3 for the Hawks! Crowd is going wild, for this former Siena coach..about to become an 11-seed...ball goes to White...slam! The Black and Gold! The Black and Gold"...

(Dream Interrupted)

"Hey, young fella, I was hoping to get in a quick game of h-o-r-s-e before the Hawks play"

"Certainly your Eminency...I mean...your Excellence..."

------------------------------
"Do you think the Hawkeyes game in Blooming ton should have been postponed"

"I'd play it...I don't think the heavy stuff was gonna come down for a while yet..."

Yeah, but the surgery is only hurdle #1. As I understand it, the test results take another couple days - that's hurdle #2. Surgery is always a scary prospect (especially when it's your kid), but there's a 99.9% chance he'll come through that just fine - the real mental burden (i.e. the test results) will still be hanging in the air.

As far as the team goes, something has been amiss chemistry-wise WELL before anyone on the team knew about Pat's surgery (they only found out right before the BTT). The idea that "The Skid" was in anyway attributable to Pat's issue doesn't hold much water - this team has deep on court chemistry issues (and I don't mean "the players don't get along" - I mean basketball is a very fluid/organic sport...the line between a team being "in the flow" and a team being "out of synch" is a very fine one - I know which side of that line this team falls on).

Agreed, but with any surgery it would still be a huge sigh of relief as the waiting game continues.

I agree with you as well about the chemistry situation and don't think "the skid" was ever tied to Pat's surgery. However, I've also been a firm believer that a great deal of the skid and loss of life within the program has been related to the teams ability, or lack there of, to handle the outside stress associated with getting into the tournament and dealing with the expectations and finding yourself in a play-in game. Throw in more stress in dealing with an expanded family members health issues and it just makes everything that much harder.

This team needs something positive right now.

Latest posts