Ogelsby/Washpun Twolves Shootout

Staz

Live in Mpls area and went to watch the Iowa teams playing.
First game was CR Wash against Chaska.
Chaska was considerably bigger and had 2 Sr. that are going D1. Jake White(6'8") who I believe was being recruited by the old regime, is going to Wichita St. and Ross Travis(6'7"), who was being recruited by Fran, is going to Penn St.
Travis was the best athlete on the floor and is versatile. He guarded Ogelsby when in the game. He doesn't assert himself offensively and pretty much is a garbage type player, but had several block shots and one big dunk. White was effective against the small CR lineup, but was not dominate in the game.

First time for me to see the CR guys play.
Ogelsby: he is much better than what I anticipated. Good athlete. Very high release point on his jumper and very good form. Handles the ball well and sees the floor. If there were stronger support players on CR, he would had gotten several assists as they were not able to convert nice passes. Also works hard getting open offensively and can work off the dribble or spot up shoot.
Could not tell defensively how good a 1-on-1 defender he is as he was always needing to play help defense on the inside players. Effort to rebound was not there as they could have used his size to garner more boards. I had him unofficially for about 20, 14 of those coming in the first half with one NBA range 3.

Washpun: Really like him. Very good athlete. At 6', jumped center. He also, at times, played post defense against the 6'8 White and actually was effective. Works extremely hard and competes really well. Elevates high and can get into the lane at will for 10-12' jumper. Seems to have longer arms and high jumping ability. I am guessing he had more points than Ogelsby as he carried more load in the 2nd half.
His jumper is more of a shot put, but seems to will in his shot.
I don't know how his game translates to the next level, but like his play and competiveness.

Also saw the first half with Marcus Paige. Another lefty, but different game than Washpun. Paige is very smooth. Very nice jumper. Sees the floor very well. Does not blow you away with his athleticism, but it is there. Washpun does not have a good looking jumper, but just gets after it. Paige goes with the flow of the offense. Washpun is more of a scorer first mentality.

Just some random thoughts I put together. As I said, first time for me to see these guys live after reading about them. I was disappointed to read that Paige is going elsewhere this morning. If Washpun is liked by the current staff, I could understand some of the appeal.

Live in Mpls area and went to watch the Iowa teams playing.
First game was CR Wash against Chaska.
Chaska was considerably bigger and had 2 Sr. that are going D1. Jake White(6'8") who I believe was being recruited by the old regime, is going to Wichita St. and Ross Travis(6'7"), who was being recruited by Fran, is going to Penn St.
Travis was the best athlete on the floor and is versatile. He guarded Ogelsby when in the game. He doesn't assert himself offensively and pretty much is a garbage type player, but had several block shots and one big dunk. White was effective against the small CR lineup, but was not dominate in the game.

First time for me to see the CR guys play.
Ogelsby: he is much better than what I anticipated. Good athlete. Very high release point on his jumper and very good form. Handles the ball well and sees the floor. If there were stronger support players on CR, he would had gotten several assists as they were not able to convert nice passes. Also works hard getting open offensively and can work off the dribble or spot up shoot.
Could not tell defensively how good a 1-on-1 defender he is as he was always needing to play help defense on the inside players. Effort to rebound was not there as they could have used his size to garner more boards. I had him unofficially for about 20, 14 of those coming in the first half with one NBA range 3.

Washpun: Really like him. Very good athlete. At 6', jumped center. He also, at times, played post defense against the 6'8 White and actually was effective. Works extremely hard and competes really well. Elevates high and can get into the lane at will for 10-12' jumper. Seems to have longer arms and high jumping ability. I am guessing he had more points than Ogelsby as he carried more load in the 2nd half.
His jumper is more of a shot put, but seems to will in his shot.
I don't know how his game translates to the next level, but like his play and competiveness.

Also saw the first half with Marcus Paige. Another lefty, but different game than Washpun. Paige is very smooth. Very nice jumper. Sees the floor very well. Does not blow you away with his athleticism, but it is there. Washpun does not have a good looking jumper, but just gets after it. Paige goes with the flow of the offense. Washpun is more of a scorer first mentality.

Just some random thoughts I put together. As I said, first time for me to see these guys live after reading about them. I was disappointed to read that Paige is going elsewhere this morning. If Washpun is liked by the current staff, I could understand some of the appeal.
Very nice! Great information. You know what your talking about based on your explanations of each player. I will look forward to your future input.

Agreed, nice info. It would be interesting to know how the Iowa coaching staff feels about Washpun. I think he'd be a solid addition next year.

I have never heard of Washpun, maybe that is being from Michigan, but I find little info on him, where can I find a good chunk? Also, I will trust Fran on this one, Washpun sounds athletic, but suspect in most areas from what I have read. Does he play AAU with Josh as well? Fran was at all the tournaments to watch Josh, so I am just curious.
The Stokes kid seems to be a better fit, but I don't know a lot about either, but have read quite a bit about Stokes.

Latest posts