Official Iowa Hawkeye Baseball Thread

Well, Dahm officially let go as Iowa Coach. Have no clue who they get now or who will want it. We need someone with a lot of energy. However, as a coach I can relate how frustrating it is if you don't feel like the school is fully behind you with giving you the tools necessary to compete. Barta needs to step up to the plate (pun intended) and invest in the program. To not have their own batting cages they can access at any time is ridiculous. Many high schools in the state have better access to indoor cages than they do.

I thought he was doing fairly well for the tools that he had to work with. If he was let go for any other reason than performance, then I could understand, but once again, it looks like Barta has made a pretty stupid decision (surprise, surprise).

I have not paid attention to Iowa baseball since Duane Banks left and then i did not pay close attention. Has the program hit rock bottom since then?

A couple of names thrown around at a youth tournament that I attended (Rick Heller,Assist Coach at Illinois that was GA at Iowa under Banks), but nothing that I have heard out of the U.

Saw something on twitter the other night of someone pulling their name out of the hat, I think it was SLU coach. With how long this is going on, I'm guessing there just aren't that many candidates that really want this job. No coach wants to be put in a situation where they don't have facilities and Admin backing for only $95k a year like Dahm was making. That is far from set for life money if you are out of a job like Dahm is now and having to support a family. Unfortunately, this job is just not that desirable right now it appears and not sure if we'll get the right guy. What is Barta's email? I have a name I want to throw at him.

Well, hard to believe as I watch the snow come down but the boys are back on the Field Today for a DH vs a very good Austin Peay Team. The start of the Rick Heller Era, lets hope its a good one. Mathews and Sasha on the bump today I believe. GO HAWKS!

And the Hawks get the sweep in frigid Tennessee! Great start versus a team who won 47 games last year and made the regional final.

They hit 2 home runs in the DH, matches what they had all last season. Good to see Heller get off to a good start, perhaps he can right the ship.

2 out of 3 from Austin Peay a good start, especially when you consider this team hasn't been on a baseball field yet because of the winter. Baseball is very difficult to play at a high level when all you have done is drills inside. I am concerned about our pitching staff too though, don't reall have an "ace" at this point that I see. Overall great start though, would be nice to get to the BIG tournament this year.

I was not aware that Austin Peay was that good last year. Good to see that we were able to take 2 of 3. It'll be interesting to see what Heller can do with this program!

Let's hope Iowa can have a good season and make it to Omaha for the B1G Baseball Tourney. With the coaches voting to include 8 teams this year, they should make it. TD Ameritrade Park is a good place to watch a game.

Hawkeyes win again today! 6-1 on the season now after sweeping all 4 games in Florida. Best start since 1985.
Great start for the team and should be building some early confidence.

So, does this 6-1 start warrant us starting a 2014 Official Hawkeye baseball thread? Considering that this one was started back in 2013.

So, does this 6-1 start warrant us starting a 2014 Official Hawkeye baseball thread? Considering that this one was started back in 2013.

Ha, sure why not. I just kept with the same one since only like 3 of us look at it ;) Any suggestions on a better forum? JDM needs a baseball link I think!

Pretty cool that we are seeing some early success with some home grown talent. I know that our boys have already circled the weekend games with Nebraska, as one of the high school kids that they followed (Austin Christiansen) plays for the Huskers!

Yeah Austin C. was a heck of a player, will most likely get drafted. I believe he had tommy john surgery last year. We have some experience in our lineup this year, just not sure we have an "ace" in the rotation. I'll make a new thread.

Dont follow college baseball much until the regionals are announced. What does it take to get an at-large bid? Pipe dream for the Hawks? What will it take for us to get in? Win the conference tourney? Go Hawks!

Dont follow college baseball much until the regionals are announced. What does it take to get an at-large bid? Pipe dream for the Hawks? What will it take for us to get in? Win the conference tourney? Go Hawks!

Much like Basketball, the tourney win will get an automatic invite. But the B1G really needs to step up the competition if they want to get multiple teams to the NCAA. Right now, there are only 4 B1G teams in the top 100 RPI, with Indiana far and away the best at #5. After them, it drops to Nebraska at #51. Iowa comes in at #109.

If iowa finishes in the top 8 of the conference, they then qualify for the B1G Tourney at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha. A good venue to watch a college game in May.

Latest posts