Offensive Weekend

SCHawkeye2

I am hopeful Kirk and Brian used the bye week to watch how offensive football is played in the 21st Century.
Even the B10 games were relatively high scoring affairs.
Not sure our defense will be able to hold our upcoming opponents to the low scores we will need to win.

Last edited:
I see Charlie Jones had 2 more TD catches in Purdue's win over Nebraska. I hope especially Iowa coaches are paying attention to Jeff Brahm and how he runs an offense, and most importantly, how he gets production out of his WR's.

I see Charlie Jones had 2 more TD catches in Purdue's win over Nebraska. I hope especially Iowa coaches are paying attention to Jeff Brahm and how he runs an offense, and most importantly, how he gets production out of his WR's.
They are stuck on thinking, if the offense scores too fast the defense won't get enough rest.

I am hopeful Kirk and Brian used the bye week to watch how offensive football is played in the 21st Century.
Even the B10 games were relatively high scoring affairs.
Not sure our defense will be able to hold our upcoming opponents to the low scores we will need to win.

Have you ever watched Iowa after a bye week? The Hawks, in recent memory, don't change squat during this time.

Iowa's best chance this season to move from dead last, 131st on offense, to 130th or 129th, is if the teams in front of them stunk up the place. Unfortunately they didn't stink things up enough and Iowa is still at the bottom.

I went back from 2015 thru today for total offense.

Greg Davis last year was 2016, and it's safe to say he'd checked out by then. The hawks were 123rd in total offense in Davis final year. In 2015 Iowa was ranked 75th in total offense under Davis and he was not that good although KF thinks he was.

Brian Ferentz took over in 2017 and following are Iowa's offensive ranks by year with Brian leading the way.

2017 - 119th
2018 - 92nd
2019 - 101st
2020 COVID YEAR, SO I DON'T COUNT THIS - 91st
2021 - 122nd
2022 YTD - 131st

How you justify keeping this guy is beyond anyone who watches football.

Barta doesn't have big enough gonads, let alone gonads at all, to fire BF.

We all know who runs things at Iowa and it's not Barta or the university president. It's Kirk Ferentz.

For the most Part, KF has done very good things at Iowa. It takes a long time to build a good product, but it can go south very quickly. Unfortunately they're well on their way to going south and I'm not talking a bowl game.

They are stuck on thinking, if the offense scores too fast the defense won't get enough rest.

Yep, as compared to all those three and outs. If we get three or four deliberate delays of game on our three and outs then our defense can get some rest.

I think KF would be offended by AL TN game
I posted a couple weeks ago how seething it must of been to him to see the offensive show Hayden and Bill Snyder put up.

That being said, it must be in fairness pointed out that the KF era has averaged more ppg than the Fry era going into this season.

Hayden was the Arnold Palmer to Kirk's Jack Nicklaus. He won and lost with more charisma, more spectacular fashion.

I posted a couple weeks ago how seething it must of been to him to see the offensive show Hayden and Bill Snyder put up.

That being said, it must be in fairness pointed out that the KF era has averaged more ppg than the Fry era going into this season.

Hayden was the Arnold Palmer to Kirk's Jack Nicklaus. He won and lost with more charisma, more spectacular fashion.
It's hard to compare eras. Rules to protect recievers and qbs have changed. Toucbacks to the 25. And so on.

Brad Banks was the best Iowa qb ever.

Iowa's best chance this season to move from dead last, 131st on offense, to 130th or 129th, is if the teams in front of them stunk up the place. Unfortunately they didn't stink things up enough and Iowa is still at the bottom.
They could put up some garbage time yards vs OSU....

That being said I don't think they get totally rolled this week. Kirk will do everything he can tomshorten the game. Certainly don't see a 58-6 type beating, see more of a....

....54-7 instead!

I actually see more of a 34-14 type game. Our defense will rattle their chain a time or two. Just one of those feelings I get from 50 years of watching sports.

Compared to watching Iowa this year, Purdue vs Nebraska looked like a ping pong match. As did Alabama-Tennessee, the TCU game.

And what was ISU's Hutchinson thinking yesterday? He catches that pass in stride and he waltzes into the end zone and Clownshow probably wins. Instead he fell backward around the 15 yard line....and lost the ball.

QB's don't have to be 'dual threat' in todays CFB, but they have to be respected enough to keep defense honest. Watching Sat:

DeVito (ILL) zone read keep for 5yd TD. Morgan (MN) 12 yd TD run with empty formation.
McCarthy (Mich) 21 yd run in drive to extend lead. Clifford (PSt) 62yd run. Yes, they are dual threats.
Thompson (Neb) 21 yd run in drive to tie game. O'Connell (PUR) 3yd run for game clinching 1st down.
Mertz (WIS) 14yd run in scoring drive. Thorne (MichSt) 8yd run for 1st down in scoring drive.

This is only Big10. Just need enough of an athlete to keep defenses honest/off balance.

Latest posts