offense

HawkeyeWalker

not defense, is the issue. Yes, it is a little hard to watch at times, but if you tackle, stay in your spot, you force teams to execute very consistantly. The proof is there (for the most part, MN was on everybody, including the D - see the "tackle" reference above)

In our losses, including AZ and WISC, and the close game to IN, the offense didn't move the ball, didn't score in the redzone....and MOST importantly, didn't produce AT ALL in the 4th qtr. It is playcalling AND execution, and it's the reason we are not 9+ wins this year.

We held almost every team we played well below there scoring average. And we did that with a decimated LB core, young corners, and after losing 3 NFL caliber talents. Defensive scheme is not the issue.

We didn't even necessarily need to score in the 4th qtr, we just need to sustain drives, burn clock, flip field position, and give the defense rest and the opposing offense a longer field.

How many offensive points did we score in our wins? how many in our losses?

One glaring constant remains the same. Predictability of our Offense. That is on whoever it is making the playbook and calling the play. We don't need to change the scheme or overhaul the offense. Ride on what is working, throw in a few wrinkles.

Has been true since the day KF got here. Offense consistently under performs each and every year.

not defense, is the issue. Yes, it is a little hard to watch at times, but if you tackle, stay in your spot, you force teams to execute very consistantly. The proof is there (for the most part, MN was on everybody, including the D - see the "tackle" reference above)

In our losses, including AZ and WISC, and the close game to IN, the offense didn't move the ball, didn't score in the redzone....and MOST importantly, didn't produce AT ALL in the 4th qtr. It is playcalling AND execution, and it's the reason we are not 9+ wins this year.

We held almost every team we played well below there scoring average. And we did that with a decimated LB core, young corners, and after losing 3 NFL caliber talents. Defensive scheme is not the issue.

We didn't even necessarily need to score in the 4th qtr, we just need to sustain drives, burn clock, flip field position, and give the defense rest and the opposing offense a longer field.

I agree. The defense actually held plenty of opponents to lower scores than it gave up to them last year, I think the D was responsible for what, 13 against AZ, 20 against OSU, 13 against Indiana, 7 against MSU, the D actually looked pretty decent considering it lost three key guys to the NFL and had a slew of injuries. If you hold OSU to 20, you can't blame the D for the loss. If you can't score 21 against NU, you can't blame the D for the loss. If the D gives up 13 to AZ, you can't blame them for the loss. The D didn't give up the huge fake punt against Wisconsin, but would that have mattered. You guys have watched enough Iowa football to know O'Grief would have gone into the prevent offense, gone 3 and out and Wisky would have gotten the ball back with some time to score. This offense was ranked 61st in the country with a senior QB, decent RBs (albeit somewhat depleted due to injuries), a line that played above its age, one of the best, if not the best WR duo Iowa has ever had, and an NFL caliber TE.

The entire team is the problem, not offense or defense. But for a team who prides itself on defense, not offense, the defense is the ones who are letting the team down with their performance.

And you said it in your first sentence. Our defense is predicated on forcing the other team to execute consistantly. What happens when they do execute? We get beat.

Shaping your defensive philosophy on wanting the other team to screw up is a bad, bad idea in my opinion. You need to force the issue and make some plays if you want to beat the good, elite teams. Hell, even bad teams can beat you if they have an "on" day.

There is nothng wrong with the offensive style, Hawks run a pro style with a balance of run and play action, the real problem this year was the inconsistency. You can blame player's execution or poor play calling from KOK but I think the Big Ten defensive coaches know what the Hawks are going to run, and we need to reassess our game plans, and become less predictable. We rarely shock people with halftime adjustments anymore. Hayden Fry was more of a river boat gambler, a little of that would go a long way. Same on defense, dont change the Tampa 2 but tweet it for the Nortwesterns and Indianas', Norm is a genius but we need to figure out what the future holds.

Did anybody see Jim Harbaugh before the game yesterday, College kids love that, Kirk will never be like that which is fine but it would be great to add some young new blood to the staff, I would have loved to see them add Dan McCarney to the staff, he would be a perfect partner to Kirk's cool demeanor.

Why do so many people continue to try and blame one unit more than another? These losses have been complete team losses. There is plenty of blame to go around between the offense, defense, special teams, coaches and players

There is nothng wrong with the offensive style, Hawks run a pro style with a balance of run and play action, the real problem this year was the inconsistency. You can blame player's execution or poor play calling from KOK but I think the Big Ten defensive coaches know what the Hawks are going to run, and we need to reassess our game plans, and become less predictable. We rarely shock people with halftime adjustments anymore. Hayden Fry was more of a river boat gambler, a little of that would go a long way. Same on defense, dont change the Tampa 2 but tweet it for the Nortwesterns and Indianas', Norm is a genius but we need to figure out what the future holds.

Did anybody see Jim Harbaugh before the game yesterday, College kids love that, Kirk will never be like that which is fine but it would be great to add some young new blood to the staff, I would have loved to see them add Dan McCarney to the staff, he would be a perfect partner to Kirk's cool demeanor.

Personally I love the scheme. I see it as something that could become increasingly hard to prepare for, and a recruiting advantage as more and more teams are running variations of the spread.

What I do have a problem with is the playcalling and the the gameplans. Iowa doesn't seem to attack what I at least perceive to be a defenses weak points. If something is working in the passing game they don't go back to it right away. Iowa underutilized Stanzi's skill in the three step game this season. I feel like many of you that Iowa's line overperformed expectations but too many of the passes are designed to take 4-5 seconds to develop. That is asking a lot of any line. Mix it up. Attack a weaker player consistently. Iowa has not done that at all this year. Or any year for that matter.

Fact. huh. because they didn't tackle? How about the missed passes, dropped balls, fumbles, etc.

Yesterday there were lots of problems. Fact.

Yes it is a fact. Minnesota had 3 and 10 +++ 4 or 5 times yesterday. Did Iowa even get one stop? I don't recall but I don't think so.

On Minnesota's drive to take the lead Iowa's Defense didn't stop them.

On Minnesota's drive to run out the clock, Iowa's D had them in 3rd down twice and didn't stop them.

Iowa's 24 points against lowly Minnesota should have been plenty.

Iowa Defense gave up 22 first downs, 382 yards of total offense and 216 of that was on the ground.

Blame shouldn't solely be on just one unit. Offensive unit was fail and the Defense was a Fail.

The TEAM as a whole was an EPEC FAIL.

Latest posts