Observations following a re-watch

NCHawker

Thought I'd start this to invite anyone who watched again to share anything that jumped out at you.

Iowa ran an inside WR screen in the 2nd quarter and again in the 4th quarter. Once from the right, another from the left. Both resulted in no-gain. Both times, the OLine did not execute worth a darn and I know they are hearing about it during the film session.

The first time, from the right - NIU's outside linebacker on the opposite side of the field crashed in to Iowa's left tackle. He got blocked, bounced back. Just then Iowa's tackled turned around to watch the play. Just then the LB ran past the Iowa blocker to tackle the Iowa ball carrier.

The second time, the NIU D-Tackle was unblocked / unaccounted for.

Also, I know it was mentioned before but Rudock was often holding the ball a bit too long before throwing it. In the 1st half, in the series after the long bomb he rolled out and then threw a deep corner route to KMM. However KMM was already at the sideline by the time the ball got there. When he runs his body, arms and shoulders sorta shake all over and it seems like he needs to do gather all that motion before throwing.

There was some poor execution in the passing game in the 2nd half.

Also the D-Line. They seemed to scrum with the NIU OLine a lot. Not sure if that was intended to be a controlled pass rush.

Also the D-Line. They seemed to scrum with the NIU OLine a lot. Not sure if that was intended to be a controlled pass rush.

yeah - never did comment on the d-line play until now. i think the ole mush rush that nfl teams do against the mike vick types was what was called for - needed better play from the LB core. but i did notice that morris was not in the middle much after the first couple series? so - i can't really comment on the d-line play ...

I thought the pass routes in the first half put pressure on their defense. There was a 5 yard sit down route where KMM found an open spot, caught the ball and got a few extra yards for about and 8 yard gain. That was easy pickings. didnt see it in the second half.

Passes targeted CJFed down the seam about 20+ yards, a slant was about 8 yards downfield, and there might have been a target to hillyer about 12 yards downfield. There was the bomb to powell and that 20+ yarder to KMM down the sideline.

In the second half we saw a couple bombs but nothing really long it seemed in pass routes until the INT if you call that a deep route.

I thought the passing game should have stayed with some deeper routes.

Mine:

1. Safety play is stll atrocious....on both running and passing plays. I try not to call out individual players, so lets just say that if Tanner Miller never sees the field again, I won't be very upset.

2. It's obvious to me that Rudock was chosen more for game management than play making ability because his arm strength definitely leaves something to be desired.

3. Bullock and Weisman are nice players, but neither are a playmaking threat. And with a redshirt freshman QB and lack of talent at the WR position save Powell and KMM, we MUST get playmaking ability from the RB position. We dont have the luxury of being able to march 80 yards in 12 plays very often.

4. Greg Davis' playcalling in crucial situations continues to astound me. You've got a weak armed QB trying to throw an out route to the wide side of the field to a WR with, on a good day, average speed. I have no idea what the thought process was on that or what the thought process is on any of those long out routes that are just BEGGING to be jumped.

There were only a few plays that changed the game. All went against Iowa. The 2 third down plays in the 3rd Quarter, the 2 blown coverages that left NIU WRs wide open, the fake punt that went undetected/uncovered and Rudock's pass at the end. Those were unacceptable.

But, I think it was a better effort than last year (and a better team) - at least the first half.

I like that they stayed with the no huddle - I think in general they ran it well, certainly a helluva lot better than last year.

Rudock played well, for the most part, particularly for his first start. He missed some open receivers, but that TD toss to CJF was very nice. I see the makings of a good QB - just hope that last pick doesn't shake his confidence - that one was on the coaches who called that play up. If the NIU coaches and players were measuring that play all game for the INT, then where were Iowa's coaches making sure that play doesn't get called.

I think Powell needs to play more. If he just comes in for the long pass play, it will be figured out by the end of next week, and even that play will no longer be effective. Even if he doesn't know the offense that well, he needs to get out there.

I would also like to Canzeri see more action. A couple of run stuffs to the left side is not his strength.

Overall, they should have won yesterday. There was enough good stuff to keep me interested, providing the first half is what we'll see the rest of the year. If it's going to be what we saw in the second half, then this is going to be a very long year indeed. But, hey, That's Football.

I bought the D-line was improved. Didn't see it as well yesterday at the game, but I feel there's good positives to take away.

The secondary is gonna be scary this year. And I don't mean that in a good way.

The LB's were active. I liked what I say from them.

Rudock played really well, considering its his first start. I like his audibling. Not a bad stat line either. 21/36 256 2TD (1 rush 1 pass) 2 int.

I'd say NIU looked better yesterday than they did against Iowa at Soldier field a year ago.

I'd say NIU looked better yesterday than they did against Iowa at Soldier field a year ago.

If they are a good team, it doesn't make Saturdays loss any less painful...but it would make the near future a little brighter.

I keep coming back to the thought that if we win that game... I would actually be quite optimistic about the season (to be clear, I consider 7 wins as a solid year...for this season), as I liked an awful lot if what I saw. As it is... I am left concerned and pensive. I still feel 6 wins and a bowl is doable...with some expected growth...and a little luck

Ok I have been way down and finally sat down to watch the replay. I could not do it after coming back from Iowa City on Saturday.

I cannot believe we found once again ways to lose the ball game. We out played that team on both sides of the ball. They made the plays when it counted and we did not,

It was typical Ferentz ball.... Control the game and end up in a close game only to lose. We make critical mistakes at the wrong time always. We made 4 or 5 blunders on third downs in the second half that killed drives. How can this always happen year after year?

Bullock looked better than I thought but does not have a break away gear nor is a tackle breaker. Weismann is similar. Both quality hammer backs. We need a back also that can take it to the house so we do not have to have 15 play running drives to score a TD. Too many chances for a typical mistake.

We need more big plays period down the field, especially in the middle of the field. They were daring us to go over the top. We tried which was great but need more to keep the defense honest.

O-line has to finish blocks. Too often they let up when an extra second might have sprung a longer run.

QB play was solid but not perfect for a first time start. Much better than anything from JVB last year. Huge shame he did not get some meaningful snaps the year before to learn from.

Defensively we are not quite there yet but improving up front. Hitchens is a beast and Kirksey is good. Morris really struggles in the middle because he runs to a blocker and not the ball. When in space on the edges he makes good plays. We need a speed rusher badly which we all know. Miller is a liability at free safety. Our blitz package is much improved for once and I like some of the new wrinkles. The corners are solid and we are deep there. My suggestion is Lowdermilk to free and bring in Nico to strong safety.

All in all we looked better than I thought. Bottom line is we need more big plays in order to score more and avoid close games.

Still surprised we lost and I did not find a lot of issues with play calling. It is constantly one guy screwing up in the key moments and always a different guy.

Last edited:
Question : Was the first INT tipped at the line?

It looked like a defender hit Rudock's arm about halfway through his forward motion. It wasn't a deal where he was maybe throwing a low ball; not something I'd worry about as a potential nagging issue at all.

It looked like a defender hit Rudock's arm about halfway through his forward motion. It wasn't a deal where he was maybe throwing a low ball; not something I'd worry about as a potential nagging issue at all.

Yes it was definitely tipped by the defender. He practically took Rudock's arm off.

The issue was the defender shoved our new guard Walsh 3 yards into the backfield directly into the passing lane as he was throwing it. On that play he was the only lineman with a leverage issue.

Walsh played ok but was also responsible for one of two bubble screens getting blown up(his man).

I complained big time about small lineman and Donnal not starting and that int play is an example of why size and physicality matters.

Mine:

1. Safety play is stll atrocious....on both running and passing plays. I try not to call out individual players, so lets just say that if Tanner Miller never sees the field again, I won't be very upset.

No. The idea that Ferentz sits more talented players in favor of upperclassmen is a myth

Gair must be terrible at this point. Hopefully, he improves for next year.

We have recruited multiple guys in the secondary some of which are young but you cannot tell me there is not one guy that is not capable of playing that position at a higher level. If that us truly the case then this coach needs to be let go just for that reason alone.

The player is a favorite and the best way to keep him out there is to not show the fan base a competitor for his position.

of course they were going to eventually jump that route - KMM hadn't been a threat to go deep all day.

Was an obvious gamble (if that isn't any oxymoron).

Yes it was definitely tipped by the defender. He practically took Rudock's arm off.

The issue was the defender shoved our new guard Walsh 3 yards into the backfield directly into the passing lane yI as he was throwing it. On that play he was the only lineman with a leverage issue.

Walsh played ok but was also responsible for one of two bubble screens getting blown up(his man).

I complained big time about small lineman and Donnal not starting and that int play is an example of why size and physicality matters.

Was that #59? Never saw back of jersey to get name, but seemed he missed assignments more than several times.

After rewatching the game, I feel worse.

This team has talent to be 8-4 or better easy, but they will not outplay the coaching. Also, on Saturday I had turned it off midway through the 4th quarter because I had seen that movie before. When I just watched it, it is painfully obvious that there are some players and teams that expect to win, and there are those that don't. For the last 2 years, with only a couple exceptions, this team looks like a team that doesn't expect to win when it is close.

Latest posts