Notre Dame shoots down Big 12 rumor

cigaretteman

First Jack Swarbrick served as stand-in spokesman Wednesday to affirm the consensus on the now-inevitable four-team college football playoff. Then he again affirmed Notre Dame is happy right where it is.

Yes, the Irish will have access to the new championship mechanism as a football independent, a crucial flash point. But, no, the Irish will not shift allegiance of other sports to the Big 12 soon, as a report contended could occur by the end of summer.

"I saw that and I thought (Bob) Bowlsby and I should hold hands up there," Swarbrick joked, alluding to the incoming Big 12 commissioner. "I have no idea what prompted that. It is not based on any discussion, any meeting we have done."

It's treacherous to deal in absolutes in the ever-shifting college football landscape, especially given the ragged state of the Big East. One source said such an arrangement with the Big 12 indeed may have to be an option for Notre Dame — eventually, but not imminently.

"I've said all along that there were three important factors for us," Swarbrick said. "One was the resolution of postseason football, which we are closer to. One is a resolution of our media relationship, which we are in the homestretch of.

"The third is related to the stability of the Big East, which we get more information on every day. In that sense, pieces of that are starting to fall into place, and that will put us in a time and place where we probably take a look at it and decide what we're doing."

Closing a new media deal with NBC, as Swarbrick alluded to, will defog Notre Dame's view on things further. But its position on the most pressing issue — pursuing a national title as an independent — is crystal clear.

"Our interest was ensuring we had an opportunity to play ourselves into any championship model, and we do," Swarbrick said. "There's no obstacle to that for us. If we earn it, we can play in it."
Notre Dame football: Notre Dame shoots down Big 12 rumor - chicagotribune.com

And Texas A/M was staying with the Big 12, Missouri was working to keep the league together, all the Big East teams were happy with their conference, etc.........

BTW the rumor started on an ND message board and was reposted. This is conference realignment here. Anything is possible.

But Notre Dame is going to have access to the new playoff. There's no reason for them to join a football conference.

ND is obviously afraid of playing Iowa State.

2564044_o.gif

Correct, and the *best sports moment in the history of the state. That will certainly open ND's eyes as well!

*According to an idiotic fan poll created by ESPN. The results of this poll does not accurately reflect the opinions of intelligent sports fans in the state of Iowa.

Fixed.

And Texas A/M was staying with the Big 12, Missouri was working to keep the league together, all the Big East teams were happy with their conference, etc.........

BTW the rumor started on an ND message board and was reposted. This is conference realignment here. Anything is possible.

All of those other teams have something in common, that ND does not.

...... for those clones having a hard time figuring it out....

they were in ****** conferences.

I can't wait to see you two eat crow when it actually happens. ND is posturing itself. A&M and Missouri did the same thing last year. They both said something along the lines they wanted to make the conference better blah blah blah and then they left.

I'm not going to eat crow. I want ND in the Big 12, that conference is about to be as good as the SEC.

As long as any national championship scenario includes ND on equal footing with the power conference teams, they will remain independent. Had the BCS commissioners moved forward without consulting or including ND in the discussions, then I could envision ND finally making the jump. As things turned out, I don't believe ND is going to do anything. They will remain independent until it's do-or-die.

Latest posts