Not Enough Minutes to Go Around

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Fran McCaffery has a problem on his hands. A good problem and one an Iowa basketball coach hasn't had for a while; not enough minutes to go around.

More...

Alford had that problem all the time. That's why he lost so many guys. It's the downside of a successful basketball program.

Is this thread about shared mobile phone plans?? I'm tired.

Doesn't EVERY good program have this problem. ie doesn't Kentucky (and the likes) have like 13 4* and 5* players, and only 200 total minutes to give out (just like us). You don't ever see mass exodus from any of those perennial top 20 programs, even though they are loaded with talent sitting on the bench.

Next year will be the bigger problem for Caff. McCabe & Basabe's minutes will continue to decline, barring injury.
Uthoff will need to play the 3, and Jok play the 2. Hopefully Uthoff can defend the 3, and Jok can nail the 3. That is what we will need out of them.

This is a great "problem" to have. It's a sign Fran and his staff are recruiting well and have things moving in the right direction.

Like the fact that Fran doesn't hesitate to mix up the lineup and play the younger players if they truly give the team the best chance to win...

I don't think he has much of a problem this year, as May and McCabe are still getting mostly undeserved minutes. Next year things will get very crowded when Iowa adds Jok and Uthoff.

I agree with you DuffMan. Basabe will still be the backup center and play a little pf. Mel has been working on his 15 ft shot, as in he is making them now, which will also get him a few more minutes of playing time as he solidifies that shot, imo.

Meyer comes off his redshirt as well so he will need minutes. It is nice to see Iowa finally have some quality depth and it should allow the coaches to press more.

What a great problem to have. Can't remember when we had this much depth.Maybe back to Marble and BJ? If we get a rash of injuries,we still got quality players to step up and take those minutes. Fran is the man.

What a great problem to have. Can't remember when we had this much depth.Maybe back to Marble and BJ? If we get a rash of injuries,we still got quality players to step up and take those minutes. Fran is the man.

Alford's second or third year when Marcellus Sommerville redshirted.

No hate. Do you want to see his minutes increase? You want him to play 15 minutes against UNI?

I have to agree with Ghost, I like Gabe but from what he has shown against better talent he may grab a few boards and block a shot or two but most likely he is going to turn the ball over or foul.

Gabe is a project, he isn't ready to play meaningful minutes against a team that could potential defeat Iowa.

I wouldn't say...

Meyer comes off his redshirt as well so he will need minutes. It is nice to see Iowa finally have some quality depth and it should allow the coaches to press more.

Meyer "needs" minutes next year. Guys get minutes when they are playing better than the guy ahead of them. He will not be eating into Woodbury or Basabe's minutes next year against good teams. The point of redshirting Meyer was so that by his 4th and 5th years on campus (his junior and senior years) he is ready to contribute when the opportunity arises. Bo Ryan has been a master at developing big players who end up contributing in the latter part of their careers.

We currently have enough players to press. I wouldn't say we have enough athletic/long players to press good teams effectively. Iowa hasn't had to actually deal with this issue for years, as we've not had 10+ B1G-caliber players on the roster at the same time in so long. Managing egos and playing time is something a good coach has to do. Coaches have to get the guys at the end of the bench to accept their role on a good team (for upperclassmen) or help them see a future opportunity (for young players) if they stick around. This is much easier to do if the team has success. It's vital for the program's long-term health. It's why Ryan was so upset with Uthoff leaving. Uthoff most likely wouldn't be a huge cog in this year's Wisconsin team (I might be wrong) but with Brusewitz, Evans and Bergren being seniors Wisky really needed Uthoff to contribute in 2013-2014.

Latest posts