No night game this year?

Hawkfromnorwalk

Iowa AD Gary Barta on football night games, basketball classic in D.M. | TheGazette

I looked back through the football forums and didn't see this brought up. Looks like Barta said he is doubtful that there will be a night game at Kinnick this year although the Big 10 network still has a week or two to make their final decision. I pretty much though this last year when the schedule was first announced and I looked over it. There just aren't any intriguing match-ups in September or October to really justify a night game, and although the Big 10 did say night games can take place in November I don't think we will see that exercised that often.

Going over the September/October schedule, you can automatically rule out the Tenn Tech and LA Monroe games. ISU just doesn't drive that much attention and both schools seem content to not hold this game after a long day of partying. Pitt is bringing in a new coach and therefore the buzz for their program is small. The Indiana game doesn't sound that appealing and the Northwestern game, although intriguing to us because of their recent domination over Iowa, isn't much of a draw outside either of the schools. If push came to shove and somebody absolutely needed a night game the only two real feasible options would be Pitt and NW but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's too bad too, I really love the atmosphere at night games. The last two meetings with Michigan and Penn State were some of the most fun I have had over in Iowa City.

Last edited:
Not surprising, and I agree the only two options I see for a night game is for the BTN to pick up either Pitt or NW and make it a 7 pm start.

This is one of those scheduling quirks I don't understand with Iowa compared to ISU. Last year ISU had so many night games that fans were eventually begging for a day game, including giving up TV rights to the Kansas game just to get a day start. I've always went under the assupmtion that the opportunities for Iowa to have night games exist, it's just up to what Barta wants. I also think that Barta doesn't want to cheapen the experience of night kickoffs. I was able to go to the PSU game last year and the atmosphere was electric around the stadium at night, way more electric than Jack Trice. I think that is because after so many night games last year at Jack Trice it got stale. I think if Iowa wants to have a night game this year they need to make it against an opponent that will generate buzz amongst the fans. Pitt doesn't really sound like it would get the blood pumping. Northwestern would be interesting however. I think it would definitely shake up the normal atmosphere NW is used to playing in and it may change the mindset of the players on the field.

Last edited:
This is one of those scheduling quirks I don't understand with Iowa compared to ISU. Last year ISU had so many night games that fans were eventually begging for a day game, including giving up TV rights to the Kansas game just to get a day start. I've always went under the assupmtion that the opportunities for Iowa to have night games exist, it's just up to what Barta wants. I also think that Barta doesn't want to cheapen the experience of night kickoffs. I was able to go to the PSU game last year and the atmosphere was electric around the stadium at night, way more electric than Jack Trice. I think that is because after so many night games last year at Jack Trice it got stale. I think if Iowa wants to have a night game this year they need to make it against an opponenet that will generate buzz amongst the fans. Pitt doesn't really sound like it would get the blood pumping. Northwestern would be interesting however. I think it would definitely shake up the normal atmosphere NW is used to playing in and it may change the mindset of the players on the field.

I would be in favor of giving the NW game the nod for a night kickoff. I just looked on the web and saw that this game has been nothing but an 11:00am kickoff going back to at least 2001 if not further. In my mind NW isn't an opponent that would usually be deemed appealing enough to garner a late kickoff however with them having our number the last few years it would be interesting to have them come to Kinnick under the lights. I think with our recent history the atmosphere in the stadium would be pretty intense, especially since they actually have a decent contingency of fans that make the trek over.

If anything I like the idea of a northwestern night game. No more treating them like a pushover. Set the stage and bowl them over.

Latest posts