No Big Ten Championship game, help or hinder?

HwkFn4Life

Just tossing this one out there for debate, because the outcome could be a benefit or a detrement, who knows. It has been debated in years past if the big ten will falter in the polls for not playing a championship game. One might say if you don't play, you can't lose, you can't get hurt. The other might say if you don't play, you can't impress, it will hurt you. With Iowa closing the season on 11/21, i'm wondering if Barta and the scheduling committee should have saved that arkansas st game for the end of the year (glad the didn't, that was no help to us). Both Wisky and Illinois have scheduled 12/05 games this year, i'm assuming for this very reason. Gotta love wisky scheduling a game at hawaii on 12/05 (Gary Barta take notice), how sweet would a hawaii trip be in december to watch the hawkeyes? Like two bowl trips in one year. Just a thought Gary. Just seems like the pendulum can swing either way on this question, was curious what everyone else thought.

I don't think we necessarily need a championship game, but I would like to see the season strech into early December. Iowa finishes up on 11/21. USC plays games on 11/28 and 12/5. The Big XII and SEC title games will be played on 12/5.

So teams will have two extra weeks to impress the voters and jump over Iowa in the rankings.

And Iowa will have two extra weeks to not play and get rusty for the bowl game. We'll also have two extra weeks to heal up from some of these injuries, but we've all seen how that extra rest may not work to our favor.

I'd like to see Iowa keep their bye week during the season and find a team who'll play us over Thanksgiving weekend - or even for the Big Ten to push the normal schedule out to the weekend of 11/28.

I think the time off hasn't been a factor for iowa at least as far as getting rusty, and the recent bowl success speaks to that, but I just think it worked in OSU and Michigans favor in the past, but since the big ten is not highly regarded, i think it will hurt at the end. The big ten has december weather to consider though where most of the other conferences don't have to deal with. Not too crazy to think of the snow plows clearing the field for a december game. November for that matter. A big ten championship game though could be played in minneapolis, indianapolis, or detroit (Domes), which seems like a more viable option. Need to find that 12th team and play championship over Thanksgiving or early december, IMO.

I'd love to have a 12th team and a championship, or if we dont add a 12th team do away with the scheduling issues and everyone plays everyone in the conference.

This isn't in regards to a B10 Championship game per say but just about the B10's late season schedule. Starting next year the final game of the year for everyone will now be the Saturday after Turkey Day, instead of ending the Saturday before. So, it will help to keep all of the teams on the public's minds for another week. It also means the Hawks will have a bye week during the season going forward.

Of course, the Hawks will have to hope that the Gophers get a little better since that's who we always play to finish the season if we want our final win to be a quality win.

Latest posts