Nixon Defensive POY

99topdawg

EpX_6IqXUAAjB75

Good for him.

Plus, it seems like once we started losing guys early to the NFL every year, our recruiting really started to pick up. I don't think it's a coincidence. And there are still plenty of guys who develop and spend 4-5 years in Iowa City (e.g. Banwart, Beyer, etc) to fill out a roster.

Good for him.

Plus, it seems like once we started losing guys early to the NFL every year, our recruiting really started to pick up. I don't think it's a coincidence. And there are still plenty of guys who develop and spend 4-5 years in Iowa City (e.g. Banwart, Beyer, etc) to fill out a roster.
Yep, every year we are bummed someone is leaving for the NFL but then the next year we are all excited about someone else. The d-line has a nice revolving door of talent going on and it's kinda nice.

What a fun player he has been to cheer for. Overcame early difficulties, stuck with it, infectious personality, relentless and talented.

I'll be honest...I knew he was athletic and he certainly showed flashes last year...but this year...Dayvion Nixon was a disruptive force who played with a motor that he's not showed. It's like someone had a stick tied to his helmet with a wad of NFL cash on the end of it.

Well deserved honor...he was a great player this year. His interception return at Penn State was priceless and something that won't be forgotten for a long time.

Well deserved. Couldn't be happier for him. Dude wasn't born on 3rd base by any means and took the hard road to get to where he is. Love rooting for guys like him.

So here's a question. Which Dline would we prefer having? Last yrs or this one? I mean holy crap we thought that was a huge question mark coming into the year and it was the strength of the team. Unreal

Good for him.

This. People have to realize that guys leaving early and doing well in the NFL is one of the best things for recruiting. I applaud these guys if they are clearly up to the task which Daviyon is. Success drives more success.

Why do we get awesome TE recruits? Because we put TEs in the NFL. Say what you want about culture, and "fit," and relationships, but the really, really good recruits are going to end up in schools that have an extensive history of guys being successful in the pros.

Get you some, Daviyon. You earned it.

This. People have to realize that guys leaving early and doing well in the NFL is one of the best things for recruiting. I applaud these guys if they are clearly up to the task which Daviyon is. Success drives more success.

Why do we get awesome TE recruits? Because we put TEs in the NFL. Say what you want about culture, and "fit," and relationships, but the really, really good recruits are going to end up in schools that have an extensive history of guys being successful in the pros.

Get you some, Daviyon. You earned it.
Agreed. I would rather have a great player for 2 or 3 years than have an average player for 4 or 5.

I could see Jack Heflin coming back for another year. He could really improve his draft stock in a 12 or 13 game normal season.
Isn’t he already a graduate though? I could be wrong.

That would put him about three years past graduating from college with no income.

Good for him.

I know what you are saying, and I don't disagree.

But look at the basketball team. They have been able to hold the core team together to get to where they are this year #3 and playing #1 this weekend. That team could easily be down 4 starters - 2 to the NBA/Pros, one to focus on baseball, and 1 who is a year and a half from collecting social security.

They all made a decision to come back and do something special.

Look at where 2009 could have been had SG come back. I am 100% sure we are not naked bootlegging on our own 3 yard line against NW.

Imagine this year's offense if Hock was a senior, how dominating the oline would have been with Tristan, how dominant the defense would have been with AJE and Stone. Those 4 back this year might have been enough to overcome Spencer's early season woes.

I get it, it is a very personal decision for the players to make. I don't begrudge them for going early, but as a fan, I will always dream of what might have been.

I'll be honest...I knew he was athletic and he certainly showed flashes last year...but this year...Dayvion Nixon was a disruptive force who played with a motor that he's not showed. It's like someone had a stick tied to his helmet with a wad of NFL cash on the end of it.

Well deserved honor...he was a great player this year. His interception return at Penn State was priceless and something that won't be forgotten for a long time.
The interception return at Penn State probably went a long way toward his winning this award. It certainly got a lot of play.

But yes, he deserved it. He was no one-play wonder. Happy for a Hawkeye to receive this award.

I know what you are saying, and I don't disagree.

But look at the basketball team. They have been able to hold the core team together to get to where they are this year #3 and playing #1 this weekend. That team could easily be down 4 starters - 2 to the NBA/Pros, one to focus on baseball, and 1 who is a year and a half from collecting social security.

They all made a decision to come back and do something special.

Look at where 2009 could have been had SG come back. I am 100% sure we are not naked bootlegging on our own 3 yard line against NW.

Imagine this year's offense if Hock was a senior, how dominating the oline would have been with Tristan, how dominant the defense would have been with AJE and Stone. Those 4 back this year might have been enough to overcome Spencer's early season woes.

I get it, it is a very personal decision for the players to make. I don't begrudge them for going early, but as a fan, I will always dream of what might have been.
Basketball is way different, Iowa isn't recruiting the one-and-done types that are going on to have huge success in the NBA. With the physical strain football puts on your body these young men are smart to move on and make money while they can.

You can dream of what might have been but keep in mind if all football players didn't leave early for the pros then other teams would be dominate as well.

Latest posts