NIT run helping recruiting

It might help open a couple of doors but kids still want to play in the Big Dance, getting there will be the key to landing a good class for 2014 and 2015. Right now we are perceived as an up and coming team, that needs to translate into wins next season for people to keep looking at Iowa as a program on the rise.

We've got 3 schollies to give after next season. So what happens next season will be the key. Kids wont even remember this season.

We've got 3 schollies to give after next season. So what happens next season will be the key. Kids wont even remember this season.

Still doesn't hurt to win...this run will get the ball rolling for recruiting and does nothing but good for our program.

It might help open a couple of doors but kids still want to play in the Big Dance, getting there will be the key to landing a good class for 2014 and 2015. Right now we are perceived as an up and coming team, that needs to translate into wins next season for people to keep looking at Iowa as a program on the rise.

I have to disagree with you on this one Kelley. If this were the case I don't think we get Woodbury or Gesell. I know Woodbury was a fan but Hawk fans haven't been saying no to Roy Williams much. Gesell had plenty of options and chose the Hawks. These guys liked what Fran was saying and what they could see him doing on the court IMO. I believe this run will help significantly...especailly with college basketball fans, recruits, parents of recruits, etc. having no other college basketball viewing options this Tuesday and Thursday...while we're on national television (hopefully twice).

Still doesn't hurt to win...this run will get the ball rolling for recruiting and does nothing but good for our program.
Agreed. When Calipari points to the first round NIT exit he won't even be able to sign two stars. Fran will sign up several top 20 players.

Agreed. When Calipari points to the first round NIT exit he won't even be able to sign two stars. Fran will sign up several top 20 players.

Iowa isn't competing with Kentucky for players. You made no point with this post. Teams that lost in the 1st round of the NCAA or only played a couple of NIT games on ESPNU and are competing with Iowa for players are fair comparisons. Iowa benefits with these kids. Kids that haven't decided yet and are considering their options may use 1 of their visits to take a look at Iowa. Winning games (especially on national television) will always help.

I thought Calipari ordered his team to bow out in the first round so they wouldn't be associated with such an inferior class of teams. As if it never even happened.

I thought Calipari ordered his team to bow out in the first round so they wouldn't be associated with such an inferior class of teams. As if it never even happened.

Exposure is good. Who among us had heard of Florida Gulf Coast 2 weeks ago?

Iowa isn't competing with Kentucky for players. You made no point with this post. Teams that lost in the 1st round of the NCAA or only played a couple of NIT games on ESPNU and are competing with Iowa for players are fair comparisons. Iowa benefits with these kids. Kids that haven't decided yet and are considering their options may use 1 of their visits to take a look at Iowa. Winning games (especially on national television) will always help.

I made this point already. Had we not played in the NIT last year we wouldn't have landed Woodbury or Gesell. And we are competing with Kentucky for players. We are competing with everybody.

One thing I didn't buy with what Fran said, "there's little difference in the team in the NIT versus the NCAA...if you can make a run in one, you can in the other." Well, when you get to the sweet 16 in the real tourney, it's a lot different than the 16 final teams in the NIT. Sorry, it is. And the final 8, there is no comparison whatsoever in my opinion. Can we play with a few of the final 8...sure, but they would wear us down...especially the 'cuse, marquette and wichita state. We don't have the physical guys to compete for 40 minutes down low. It would be great for us to have a 6' 9" guy down low with some weight and strength. Woody will develop into a guy that can play that style, and it's possible Gabe can too, but they aren't there now. White and Melsahn play more finesse and will run the court with anyone...but in a half court game, we would get hurt on the glass against these final 8 teams.

One thing I didn't buy with what Fran said, "there's little difference in the team in the NIT versus the NCAA...if you can make a run in one, you can in the other." Well, when you get to the sweet 16 in the real tourney, it's a lot different than the 16 final teams in the NIT. Sorry, it is. And the final 8, there is no comparison whatsoever in my opinion. Can we play with a few of the final 8...sure, but they would wear us down...especially the 'cuse, marquette and wichita state. We don't have the physical guys to compete for 40 minutes down low. It would be great for us to have a 6' 9" guy down low with some weight and strength. Woody will develop into a guy that can play that style, and it's possible Gabe can too, but they aren't there now. White and Melsahn play more finesse and will run the court with anyone...but in a half court game, we would get hurt on the glass against these final 8 teams.

FM didn't specifically say the Elite 8 teams. Iowa could of made the Sweet 16 depending on match ups just like every other team. There isn't a big difference between the 52 that don't make the Sweet 16 n the Elite 8 of NIT. Don't put words in his mouth to support your pessimistic cause.

Don't forget about how much this extra practice/team bonding time is helping the freshman mature that much more.

I've never seen OK4P get this butthurt over anything before, very prolish.

Whar the butthurt? Given the massive TV exposure and high ratings of the NIT, it follows that all teams who at least make it to the second round will get a massive bump. Seeing as to how we recently lost a star football player to Stony Brook, their enhanced exposure concerns me.

I made this point already. Had we not played in the NIT last year we wouldn't have landed Woodbury or Gesell. And we are competing with Kentucky for players. We are competing with everybody.

You made no point...like usual. You just talk around valid points others make. Woodbury and Gesell both committed BEFORE last season even started. Get a clue. Better yet just go away.

I have to disagree with you on this one Kelley. If this were the case I don't think we get Woodbury or Gesell. I know Woodbury was a fan but Hawk fans haven't been saying no to Roy Williams much. Gesell had plenty of options and chose the Hawks. These guys liked what Fran was saying and what they could see him doing on the court IMO. I believe this run will help significantly...especailly with college basketball fans, recruits, parents of recruits, etc. having no other college basketball viewing options this Tuesday and Thursday...while we're on national television (hopefully twice).

I do not disagree with this at all, but few recruits are impressed with NIT runs. My point is that it might help the name recognition but the things you mentioned is what gets them to sign here.

If even one recruit is able to watch the hawks it is a win. The style will win kids over. And no, it's not about next year, because the early signing period is before the season starts. 3 schollies to give and signing day is 7 months away.

Latest posts