NIT in 2012?

Will Iowa make the NIT (or NCAA) tourney in 2012?

• Yes

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I'll decide when the recruiting class is finished.

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HawksnWhiteSox

A lot of if's here, but Cully returns healthy to assist in the backcourt with Bryce, Basabe repeating his great freshman year, Gatens (Oglesby) good shooting from the outside, Brommer & Archie getting more aggressive inside, I believe the Hawks should get a game or two above 500. Enough for the NIT, we'll see, but I have faith!

Last edited:
If we land Cezar and either a Big Ten-ready big (JUCO) or another perimeter player (Carter/Miller/Hubbard), then I think we are headed to the postseason at some level next year.

You mean despite Gatens and Ogelsby shooting from the outside? Seriously, neither of these guys is a sharpshooter. The hope is that Fran gets another guard who can really light it up from the outside. Ogelsby looks like Gatens 2. Good around 15-18 feet, but won't be able to make his own shot. Which means he should be a 4th option type guy. Preferably he would be a fifth option guy, but if your 2 guard is a fifth option offensive player, he better be an absolute shut down defender.

You mean despite Gatens and Ogelsby shooting from the outside? Seriously, neither of these guys is a sharpshooter. The hope is that Fran gets another guard who can really light it up from the outside. Ogelsby looks like Gatens 2. Good around 15-18 feet, but won't be able to make his own shot. Which means he should be a 4th option type guy. Preferably he would be a fifth option guy, but if your 2 guard is a fifth option offensive player, he better be an absolute shut down defender.

Seriously people need to quit setting expectations so early on kids. Already Ogelsby isn't a good enough shooter? I see others saying that White comes in and is Basabe 2.0 at the 3 spot?

It drives me nuts when people think that kids won't develop from year to year as a college player. Now we are doing the same things to HS kids whom we have ONLY seen a highlight video or 2 of? I just don't get that at all.....

Just look at Cartwright's and Basabe's early season games. I remember thinking, Jesus this is all we get talent wise. They both looked rough their first several games. How about we let these kids get out of HS, into summer workouts, and at least 1/2 way through 1 freaking season before we are telling everyone what they will or won't do in 4 years in college.......

That just isn't the way it works in basketball. You don't make athletes out of non-athletes and you don't make shooters out of guys that aren't shooters. If you have a good athlete you can make a scorer out of a mediocre shooter, but you don't make a great shooter out of a mediocre shooter.

If a guy is not a great shooter in high school it is just not likely he will be a great shooter in college.

We've won 11 games so far. With the improvement we made this year, I think it would be safe to say that we are/will be better than when we lot to South Dakota St., Long Beach St., and Wake Forest. We also lost 5 additional games by 3 or fewer points (overtimes included). I'm not saying that next year we'll win 19 games, but we're not that far from it with some improvement and maturity.

Seriously people need to quit setting expectations so early on kids. Already Ogelsby isn't a good enough shooter? I see others saying that White comes in and is Basabe 2.0 at the 3 spot?

It drives me nuts when people think that kids won't develop from year to year as a college player. Now we are doing the same things to HS kids whom we have ONLY seen a highlight video or 2 of? I just don't get that at all.....

Just look at Cartwright's and Basabe's early season games. I remember thinking, Jesus this is all we get talent wise. They both looked rough their first several games. How about we let these kids get out of HS, into summer workouts, and at least 1/2 way through 1 freaking season before we are telling everyone what they will or won't do in 4 years in college.......

I hate to break it to you, but if you are tring to comapare Basabe and Cartwright to Ogelsby, McCabe, etc., you aren't comparing apples to apples. Basabe averaged 38 ppg in the PTL and Cartwright would have dominated had he played. Ogelsby may or not be the real deal-- I don't know and am reserving judgment. I will say that the difference in athleticism is about like comparing Lick Jr to Taylor Battle. The reason Basabe and Cartwright got better is because they are simply better players who needed to adjust to a new team, system, etc. The issue with the others is lack of athleticism, inability to create their own shot, defensive liabilities, etc.

I agree that we shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I get a kick out of the folks talking about mediocre players like Archie playing prominent roles next year. If the dude can't dominate in the PTL, then what chance does he have of making an impact in the big ten? Same with these other kids...if you aren't bringing hops and quicks to the table, you better be able to hit wide open jumpers, or expect to sit. We seem to be the only team in the country with a roster full of white dudes that can't shoot.

I would bet Fran has his sights set higher than the NIT next season. The Big Ten will still be tough but this years senior class was one of the deepest and most talented in the history of the Big Ten. It will be exciting to see which Hawkeyes get after it in the offseason and improve and some new faces that might play next season.

I would bet Fran has his sights set higher than the NIT next season. The Big Ten will still be tough but this years senior class was one of the deepest and most talented in the history of the Big Ten. It will be exciting to see which Hawkeyes get after it in the offseason and improve and some new faces that might play next season.

I bet he has his sights set on the NCAA Tournament next year but wouldn't be disappointed with achieving an NIT bid. Fran's a fiery competitor.

I hate to break it to you, but if you are tring to comapare Basabe and Cartwright to Ogelsby, McCabe, etc., you aren't comparing apples to apples. Basabe averaged 38 ppg in the PTL and Cartwright would have dominated had he played. the real deal-- know Ogelsby may or not be and am reservinI don't g judgment. Battle.I will say that the difference in athleticism is about like comparing Lick Jr to Taylor The reason Basabe and Cartwright got better is because they are simply better players who needed to adjust to a new team, system, etc. The issue with the others is lack of athleticism, inability to create their own shot, defensive liabilities, etc.

I agree that we shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I get a kick out of the folks talking about mediocre players like Archie playing prominent roles next year. If the dude can't dominate in the PTL, then what chance does he have of making an impact in the big ten? Same with these other kids...if you aren't bringing hops and quicks to the table, you better be able to hit wide open jumpers, or expect to sit. We seem to be the only team in the country with a roster full of white dudes that can't shoot.

Ok, so while you admit you don't know oglesby,and reserving judgement,and are not going to jump to conclusions,you are willing to compare Oglesby's athleticism to Lil Lick? LOL. Gee, I guess you have not jumped to any conclusions,and are reserving judgement on an incoming recruit when you compare him to a walkon who failed at a NAIA school?

I cannot believe the lack of belief in a top 110 rated player nationally.
Now he is lil lick? That is a joke,right?
Oglesby's dad played in the NBA,right? Of course,when he moved to Iowa,he automatically became a stiff,right? Too bad they did not move to a suburb of Cleveland,as then that top 110 rating would mean he is the second coming of Kirk Hinrich...oh wait, Hinrich came from iowa,so he sucks,right?

Maybe fans should actually reserve judgement and conclusions until they see these new recruits play in PTL at least,ok?

Good point. It took Cartwright until Big 10 play to settle in. I remember being intrigued by his quickness but not impressed with his court awareness early on. Turns out that he has excellent court awareness, but simply hadn't settled in. Overall, Cartwright was a great get for Iowa and Fran.

I voted "no" on a techinicality -- the poll specifically asked if make the NIT. If it asked "make the postseason", then I'd vote "aye" (with my heart).

I think it's reasonable to get to .500 overall and 6 or 7 wins in conference. Seems that you need to be at least +2 or +3 to even get NIT consideration, anymore. (2007 - Alford's last year, senior year for Haluska, freshman year for Tyler Smith and Hawks got snubbed by NIT at 17-14, 9-7 in conference!)
Sorry, losing the heart and leadership of JC, relying on Gatens and Brommer as upperclassmen, teams know and will gameplan to stop Cartwright and Basabe and the rest are unproven / inconsistent freshmen & sophomores ...
They will be improved, hopefully enough to get a CBI invite but not enough to get an NIT invite.

Latest posts