Nice win over Seton Hall

Our Hawks Looked more like themselves today vs SH. As did individual players. When we had 44 at halftime, I thought ok. We will get into the 80’s, so good luck trying to score with us. We were far more focused.

Overall, really good game. It's especially impressive when you factor in that we have 4 true freshmen in the rotation.

That said, the offensive rebounds by SH drove me crazy the entire game. I don't know exactly how many we gave up but it had to be at least 15. That can't happen if we want to have a reasonable conference showing.

Overall, really good game. It's especially impressive when you factor in that we have 4 true freshmen in the rotation.

That said, the offensive rebounds by SH drove me crazy the entire game. I don't know exactly how many we gave up but it had to be at least 15. That can't happen if we want to have a reasonable conference showing.
Agreed. They are young and they will learn. This team could be really special in two years. Maybe as early as next year.

You and I were probably astounded by our rebounding failures at the same time. Good grief. We aren’t exactly small across our front line.

I was surprised at how much time Dix got in the Seton Hall game. When Bowen doesn't drive to the rim, he doesn't bring much to the table; I guess Fran figures they need Dix's shot-making more than a passive Bowen. Some PGs thrive in Fran's system, some don't...Bowen seems to have tons of talent, but it feels like he's playing with a leash on him -- trying hard to not make a mistake. Fran needs to free him up.

Sandfort and Pmac led the team in rebounds and I am not sure if that is a good thing. Once again, for all of Krikke's scoring prowess, he only had one rebound. He doesn't need to be an awesome rebounder just better than what he has been so far.

No excuses. Sandfort is 6’8”. PMAC is 6’9”. Krikke is 6’9”. That is a big front line. And, we have a freshman at 6’10”, a couple of guards who are around 6’4-6-5” to rebound on missed 3 pointers. They need to “want too.”

No excuses. Sandfort is 6’8”. PMAC is 6’9”. Krikke is 6’9”. That is a big front line. And, we have a freshman at 6’10”, a couple of guards who are around 6’4-6-5” to rebound on missed 3 pointers. They need to “want too.”

Sandfort and Pmac will probably need to help on the boards a lot this year and as I stated before I am not sure that is a good thing. Fran wants his teams out in transition and having Pmac and Sandfort have to help rebound takes away from that. I much rather have Pmac and Sandfort running the floor, out in transition, Pmac filling lanes and dunking on dudes or Sandfort spotting up for a 3 somewhere.

On paper this seems like a big team, but given everyone's skill set it really isn't. Rebounding will be an issue all year...Freeman will help a lot and if my man Krikke can pick-it-up in that one area I think they will be okay.

Good points. Out in transition carries some baggage but I agree that Fran is all over that strategy. I don’t really disagree. I really like to watch his teams.
Freeman and Krikke can be a big help.

I think Dix will come around and take some of the shooting pressure off Sandfort, but sophomores sometimes struggle under Franny Mac
Dix has great potential but seems content to play well under control and focus on his D, which he is darn good at. His time will come. In the future, we will say, “cold blooded.”

The stat that had me look twice from this box score was Krikke only had 1 rebound... How's that happen? He played alot. That can't continue. We gotta be competitive on the boards and not give up so many 2nd chances.

I assumed Iowa was going 1-1 at this tournament. Oklahoma is probably pretty good and Iowa didn't play well and weren't ready. This teams going to be incosistent, I am hopeful consistent enough to dance in March. I still would bet anyone who wanted it that they are.

I assumed Iowa was going 1-1 at this tournament. Oklahoma is probably pretty good and Iowa didn't play well and weren't ready. This teams going to be incosistent, I am hopeful consistent enough to dance in March. I still would bet anyone who wanted it that they are.
Yeah Oklahoma is pretty good and just a tough matchup for us. Athletic front courts and guards that can drive will hurt us. Not to mention teams that can shoot. We'll have to play efficient on O and rebound a lot better to play with the good teams.

Latest posts