Next overseas trip

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I'll give you a hint.

200.gif

Sounds like Drago sucks at stopping penetration too, though. Bridget Neilson just had another kid at like 70 years old. Holy crap, good to know a womb still works at that age...best be careful later in life.

Fran’s first NCAA team followed an overseas trip year.

Oh yes, the year they started out the season on fire, got up to 10th and then lost 6 of their last seven and their first round NCAA game. Yeah, I stand by the over seas trip being a burn out on these guys or at the very least, not very beneficial.

Oh yes, the year they started out the season on fire, got up to 10th and then lost 6 of their last seven and their first round NCAA game. Yeah, I stand by the over seas trip being a burn out on these guys or at the very least, not very beneficial.
Interesting take. I do know at the time many believed the trip was the reason for our very fast start. It was really the only year that Iowa did anything in their preseason tournament.

That team went 10 deep. The “we got tired at the end of the season because we played overseas” excuse is such a classic Iowa fan excuse it makes me want to puke. The one legitimate gripe we had was that was the year Indiana had a piece fall out of the ceiling postponing the game which led to Iowa playing 3 games in 6 days.

Interesting take. I do know at the time many believed the trip was the reason for our very fast start. It was really the only year that Iowa did anything in their preseason tournament.

That team went 10 deep. The “we got tired at the end of the season because we played overseas” excuse is such a classic Iowa fan excuse it makes me want to puke. The one legitimate gripe we had was that was the year Indiana had a piece fall out of the ceiling postponing the game which led to Iowa playing 3 games in 6 days.

Not so much "tired" as "burn out" -As a guy who does something that I have to practice at daily as well as perform several times a week/month. I don't get tired of doing it. Like physically, I am fine. But I get burnt the F out a lot. I like Fran, but I am starting to understand that I think that his style can wear on guys after a while. I also think that like his emotions, his teams swing hard one way or another a lot of times. Like, they can be great for a long stretch, and then fall like a rock. A roller coaster so to say. Like his mood swings. He's not perfect, and we've seen the bad. All coaches have traits, his isn't quite as even as some or as I would like but that's why I am kind of still excited for this season, I feel like they could swing really hard the opposite way as last season.

Beginning to think those overseas trips are worthless. They are a nice reward for the players and I'm fine with that. But as far as furthering talent? Meh...

Kinda like the couple weeks extra practice with football bowl games. Zero benefit seen the following season.

Not so much "tired" as "burn out" -As a guy who does something that I have to practice at daily as well as perform several times a week/month. I don't get tired of doing it. Like physically, I am fine. But I get burnt the F out a lot. I like Fran, but I am starting to understand that I think that his style can wear on guys after a while. I also think that like his emotions, his teams swing hard one way or another a lot of times. Like, they can be great for a long stretch, and then fall like a rock. A roller coaster so to say. Like his mood swings. He's not perfect, and we've seen the bad. All coaches have traits, his isn't quite as even as some or as I would like but that's why I am kind of still excited for this season, I feel like they could swing really hard the opposite way as last season.
So this year we had an overseas trip and sucked at the beginning and probably played our best ball of the year at the end. Overall it was a crappy year. The previous overseas trip we were awesome at the beginning and sucked at the end. Overall it was an okay season, Iowa got back to the dance however likely underachieved their talent. Uthoff’s senior year we didn’t have an overseas trip and we were awesome at the beginning and faded down the stretch. It was a decent year. Jok’s senior year we didn’t have an overseas trip and we sucked at the beginning and came on strong at the end. Overall is was a mediocre year....

So I’m failing to see how the overseas trip is the reason for good or bad seasons?

So this year we had an overseas trip and sucked at the beginning and probably played our best ball of the year at the end. Overall it was a crappy year. The previous overseas trip we were awesome at the beginning and sucked at the end. Overall it was an okay season, Iowa got back to the dance however likely underachieved their talent. Uthoff’s senior year we didn’t have an overseas trip and we were awesome at the beginning and faded down the stretch. It was a decent year. Jok’s senior year we didn’t have an overseas trip and we sucked at the beginning and came on strong at the end. Overall is was a mediocre year....

So I’m failing to see how the overseas trip is the reason for good or bad seasons?

I don't think they help, that's just my opinion. I think too much time together can hurt. I feel like there can be burn out. I feel like last year, the competition was so bad that it hurt the team in regards to them being prepared for the season. I think it gave them a false sense of security that they were further along then they were. They got shell shocked. It was too late to do much about it at that point. I think the year they were awesome at the beginning and faded and made the play in game, the competition they played was much stronger (they even lost games to some teams). So while it did help out of the gate, by the end, they didn't mentally have a lot left in the tank. That's just my opinion, you don't have to agree or see the correlation to hear it.

I don't think they help, that's just my opinion. I think too much time together can hurt. I feel like there can be burn out. I feel like last year, the competition was so bad that it hurt the team in regards to them being prepared for the season. I think it gave them a false sense of security that they were further along then they were. They got shell shocked. It was too late to do much about it at that point. I think the year they were awesome at the beginning and faded and made the play in game, the competition they played was much stronger (they even lost games to some teams). So while it did help out of the gate, by the end, they didn't mentally have a lot left in the tank. That's just my opinion, you don't have to agree or see the correlation to hear it.
I agree on last year. Those teams sucked and between that and PTL I think our guys were resting on their laurels thinking they were all that. I do think in the future if we do an overseas trip there are quality teams out there we can play to help our team get better.

If our team can’t stand being around each other for too long or they get sick of playing basketball, I think we have more problems, just my take.

I agree on last year. Those teams sucked and between that and PTL I think our guys were resting on their laurels thinking they were all that. I do think in the future if we do an overseas trip there are quality teams out there we can play to help our team get better.

If our team can’t stand being around each other for too long or they get sick of playing basketball, I think we have more problems, just my take.

I think it's just human nature, that's my take. I also think we have a coach that is up and down characteristic wise, and it swings hard both ways at times. That doesn't mean that it's the worst characteristic to have as a coach, there are probably worse things, but i just tend to think it allows for some burn out, some tune out and loss of focus.

Beginning to think those overseas trips are worthless. They are a nice reward for the players and I'm fine with that. But as far as furthering talent? Meh...

Kinda like the couple weeks extra practice with football bowl games. Zero benefit seen the following season.

I'm less convinced of the developmental value of overseas basketball trips, but I think the extra practice before bowl games is fantastic, especially for younger players. Perhaps the results were not satisfactory, but they might have been even worse without the extra practice.