New Years Day Football Bowl Times Taking Shape

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Orange announced 12 year deal with ACC Champ vs at large, and 4 semifinal games in 12 years...kickoff time at noon central

So here is what New Years Day will look like as of now:

Noon: Orange Bowl (will be odd seeing the Orange in the day)
4PM: Rose
Prime Time: Champions Bowl (SEC v B12)

Wonder what, if anything, Cap One and Outback will do?

Is 9am central too early? Would be 7a pacific..probably is...

Perhaps they move to New Years Eve, which is going to become a heavy hitter college football day now.

Jon, do you know if the times stay the same regardless of whether the bowl is a semifinal in that particular year?

I'm excited about this. Getting the games back on New Year's day is going to turn out to be one of the best elements of the playoff format.

Orange announced 12 year deal with ACC Champ vs at large, and 4 semifinal games in 12 years...kickoff time at noon central

Perhaps they move to New Years Eve, which is going to become a heavy hitter college football day now.

Jon- Rumor is that Alvarez has mentioned that the B1G is close to having a new bowl lineup. Any ideas what the changes will be?

Champions Bowl? Did the Sugar Bowl get renamed? Also, any mention of the Cotton or the Fiesta Bowl?

Not sure what the Sugar aspect is here.

Also, the 'BCS bowls' are working their own TV rights deals...real interesting stuff. I wonder if Notre Dame will work out a deal with say the Orange to play the ACC champ if it has like 8 or more wins? Will be surprised if ND doesn't swing some kind of deal like this with a big bowl game.

Not sure what the Sugar aspect is here.

Also, the 'BCS bowls' are working their own TV rights deals...real interesting stuff. I wonder if Notre Dame will work out a deal with say the Orange to play the ACC champ if it has like 8 or more wins? Will be surprised if ND doesn't swing some kind of deal like this with a big bowl game.

I'd think they'd rather keep their options open, but if the money's right...

Orange announced 12 year deal with ACC Champ vs at large, and 4 semifinal games in 12 years...kickoff time at noon centralSo here is what New Years Day will look like as of now:Noon: Orange Bowl (will be odd seeing the Orange in the day)4PM: RosePrime Time: Champions Bowl (SEC v B12)Wonder what, if anything, Cap One and Outback will do?Is 9am central too early? Would be 7a pacific..probably is...Perhaps they move to New Years Eve, which is going to become a heavy hitter college football day now.

hopefully go back to december were they belong. the best part about this playoff is it will bring back legitimate january bowl games to the point where a january bowl game will actually mean something again.

Orange announced 12 year deal with ACC Champ vs at large, and 4 semifinal games in 12 years...kickoff time at noon centralSo here is what New Years Day will look like as of now:Noon: Orange Bowl (will be odd seeing the Orange in the day)4PM: RosePrime Time: Champions Bowl (SEC v B12)Wonder what, if anything, Cap One and Outback will do?Is 9am central too early? Would be 7a pacific..probably is...Perhaps they move to New Years Eve, which is going to become a heavy hitter college football day now.

hopefully go back to december were they belong. the best part about this playoff is it will bring back legitimate january bowl games to the point where a january bowl game will actually mean something again.

I could see Glendale deciding to switch to just bidding for the NC game and not worrying about paying massive amounts for the Fiesta. Champions Bowl is interesting. Might be they will go to a highest bidder model as well.

Cap One bowl deserves to be a jan 1st bowl and I think it has been one for quite some time. I think the Outback needs to move to Dec 31st. Start the Cap One at noon so it's finished before the Rose. Who cares if it goes up against the Orange. You really think the ACC vs whoever is going to get better ratings than the the Big 10 vs the SEC?

January bowl games should be reserved for conference champs. This means all conferences, including CUSA, MAC, SBC, etc. Let the non-majors play in the first week of Jan before the NC Game.

January bowl games should be reserved for conference champs. This means all conferences, including CUSA, MAC, SBC, etc. Let the non-majors play in the first week of Jan before the NC Game.

Or, and this is just a thought, we could put games on tv that people actually want to watch.

No. No one cares about those teams. They should play in December where they belong.

Cap One bowl deserves to be a jan 1st bowl and I think it has been one for quite some time. I think the Outback needs to move to Dec 31st. Start the Cap One at noon so it's finished before the Rose. Who cares if it goes up against the Orange. You really think the ACC vs whoever is going to get better ratings than the the Big 10 vs the SEC?

I think the Cap One (if not one of the bowls a part of the semi final rotation) should do a 10am kickoff much like the Outback Bowl used to be. To only have 3 bowls on Jan. 1 would not be winning back New Year's Day.

New Years should just be the major bowls like it used to be. But I would like to see more than just 3 bowls played on that day as it was fun to flip back and forth. New Years Eve Day can be for those next level bowls like the Outback. Everything else can be pushed back into December. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day could be another big day for college football bowl games.

I'd like to see NYD bowls be limited to:

Cotton
Sugar
Champions
Orange
Rose
Fiesta

I bet the B1G ends up in the Cotton Bowl - that'd be a great game from a historic significance standpoint.

NYD:

Citrus
Outback
Holiday

Then it will really mean something to play on NYE or NYD

Latest posts