New Idea for college football

IowaFanSince82

Hey guys, I am a die hard hawk fan and I have been wondering about an idea to even out college football. What if the bowls had a replay game for each bowl. Now what I am talking about is, since Iowa played GT this year, both schools have 3 years to agree on a date to play another game against each other. I just thought it would be a good idea, to get some teams playing better competition in the pre-season.

I know teams that play in bowls regularly would have some issues, but you are only allowed 1 bowl replay game per season. I am just getting sick of teams like Texas who don't play anyone in the pre-season, getting a shot at the national title. I think this would even things out, having Texas playing Alabama in a few years, that would make their schedule tougher. Also there would be some good pre-season match-ups for future seasons. Its just an idea, we have a long ways till next year, what do other hawk fans think?

Good idea and one that would make fans enjoy football even more. The problem with that would be it would mean those teams may have the possibility of losing a game and one game can knock you out of the title picture. They would want to keep a game on the schedule that they can win.

I like the idea, though.

The whole reasoning behind it, is so some teams are forced to play good competition. I mean seriously texas did not play one BCS school and they played in the NC game. I mean boise at least played one team from the BCS. Plus this will help those lower conferences get games, therefore we don't have to keep hearing about the Utah's or the Boise States of the world.

It is my analysis that what you are proposing is establishing requirements to compete for the national championship. I have given it some thought and haven't come up with any solid set of requirements. Here are some ideas that might be considered and why:

a. Each team that wants to compete must schedule at least five road games, the conference road games and at least one non-conference road game against a BCS opponent. (Iowa played ISU at Ames and AZ at IC as an example.) This would force inter-conference play. I am sure some power schools would like to find games with historically poor programs to avoid a lost, but it would put the poor program in position to gain from the richer programs. Texas might shell out $2.5M to play Vanderbilt rather than play So Cal as an example.

b. Add a graduation and player retention rate requirement to compete. There are some serious discrepancies between the teams that made the BCS games this year. College football should not be only an NFL Development League. If you fail to meet the established standards then you are not eligible to compete.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Here is an idea...

Take the ranking away from the media and the coaches. Rank teams after the first four games of the year and make it computer ranking based on who you play. If a team like Texas does not play anyone during the preseason they pay for it in the first ranking by not getting ranked in the top 25, same for Florida or whoever.

One of the other requirements, one of the preseason games will be played three quarters of the way through the season and for that game to matter in the rankings it must be against a BCS team from another league. So, for example, Texas would have to play a team from the Big 10, SEC, PAC 10, or whatever. The schedule would be set 3 years in advance so the teams would not know who would be good or bad...somehow the game would be a draw. Set up a drawing and see how it shakes out. Throw the names in a hat and draw opponents....home and home. So if Texas drew Iowa, it would be a home and home, so be it. Or Florida/Ohio St, so be it. Would the SEC enjoy going to OSU the last week of October when it might be terrible weather? Too bad? Or Minnesota when it is snowing? Too bad?

Could it screw up rankings, wow could it. But teams would have to play preseason or they would not get ranked. Then the big game in the middle of the season...maybe or maybe not, it would depend on the draw.

I like the idea of a team having to play tough competition. The BCS says that every regular season game is a playoff game, but I wasn't aware that you got to choose a third of your schedule in the playoffs.