New book: What It Means To Be A Hawkeye

trapperjon

A new book just hit the press entitled 'What it means to be a Hawkeye'

I went to Amazon and it lets you take a quick look @ the book. Kirk's forward is there in most of it's entirety and it was an interesting read. Especially the part on his thought process of getting hired back @ Iowa as head coach.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/What-Means-Be-Hawkeye-Greatest/dp/1600785646]Amazon.com: What It Means to Be a Hawkeye: Kirk Ferentz and Iowa's Greatest Players (9781600785641): Michael Maxwell, L. Hammes, Neal Rozendaal: Books[/ame]

Thanks tweeter...seems everyone already knew the whole story and Kirk's thoughts on getting hired at Iowa.

Some of it was new to me. Did not know that he had no aspirations to become a head coach in college and that he would have been perfectly content to stay an assistant in the NFL. Except for when the Iowa job came up

Last edited:
Don't forget the new "What it means to be a Cyclone" book....four pages of action packed and thought inspiring interviews.

The Hawkeye book will go on my Christmas list, hopefully you can get it on Kindle.

Don't forget the new "What it means to be a Cyclone" book....four pages of action packed and thought inspiring interviews.

The Hawkeye book will go on my Christmas list, hopefully you can get it on Kindle.

LOL :D
well played, NewMex

You mean this book?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Your-Emotional-Self-Self-Esteem/dp/0470127783/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1312825683&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame (9780470127780): Beverly Engel: Books[/ame]

Saw this book at sams, It's basically a compilation of Iowa players, but when i saw that Nile Kinnick wasn't even in the damn book, i put it down and made up my mind it wasn't for me.

A new book just hit the press entitled 'What it means to be a Hawkeye'

I went to Amazon and it lets you take a quick look @ the book. Kirk's forward is there in most of it's entirety and it was an interesting read. Especially the part on his thought process of getting hired back @ Iowa as head coach.

Amazon.com: What It Means to Be a Hawkeye: Kirk Ferentz and Iowa's Greatest Players (9781600785641): Michael Maxwell, L. Hammes, Neal Rozendaal: Books

Glad you liked it, trapperjon! What I found interesting was his comment about Ohio State in 2000...dark times, that's for sure. We tend to forget that at times.

The book is basically a series of first-person narratives about what it was like to be a Hawkeye, as told by the athletes themselves. That's why Nile Kinnick isn't in it, because, uh, he died in 1943, so we couldn't talk to him. However, we were able to speak to his two living teammates at the time, Red Frye and Hank Vollenweider. (Frye recently passed away before the book was published.) :-( Anyway, Frye and Vollenweider give some nice remembrances of what being a part of the Ironmen meant to them, and they are neat stories to read, I think.

Enough rambling from me. :) Thanks for checking it out, guys.

Glad you liked it, trapperjon! What I found interesting was his comment about Ohio State in 2000...dark times, that's for sure. We tend to forget that at times.

The book is basically a series of first-person narratives about what it was like to be a Hawkeye, as told by the athletes themselves. That's why Nile Kinnick isn't in it, because, uh, he died in 1943, so we couldn't talk to him. However, we were able to speak to his two living teammates at the time, Red Frye and Hank Vollenweider. (Frye recently passed away before the book was published.) :-( Anyway, Frye and Vollenweider give some nice remembrances of what being a part of the Ironmen meant to them, and they are neat stories to read, I think.

Enough rambling from me. :) Thanks for checking it out, guys.

Now if the book were available on Kindle I'd order today. On Amazon it gives you the option to send message to publisher to request a Kindle version as it is up to publisher whether they want to sale it through Kindle format.

On second thought, this may be a book that I'd really rather have in hard copy... I'll leave my 'How To Train A German Shepherd' and the like for my Kindle reading.

Latest posts