New Arkansas Coach

mxzjoe

This morning and this afternoon, two independent sources have told us that Arkansas AD Jeff Long has already spoken with current UAB head coach, and former Arkansas offensive coordinator, Garrick McGee about taking over as head coach at Arkansas.
Both sources told us that Long and McGee discussed keeping the existing staff intact.

The two sources we spoke with both felt that McGee would have no problem retaining Paul Petrino as offensive coordinator and both felt that Paul would stay.

McGee has his UAB team in Spring ball right now (Spring game is on the 21st). Given this timing, we expect nothing to be said publicly until UAB completes Spring ball; but both sources felt that McGee would be announced as the new head coach shortly thereafter.
Clearly this is a fluid situation; but that's what we've been told by two sources.
11PM Update> Late tonight Jeff Long took to twitter to say, "At this time I have not spoken to anyone about the Head Coaching position." Earlier this afternoon, UAB AD Brett Mackin said that he has not been contacted by anyone from the University of Arkansas seeking permission to talk to McGee about the opening. Mackin said he wouldn't comment further. Tonight, after practice, McGee declined to speak with reporters at all and the sports information staff said that he would not speak with reporters until Saturday after their scrimmage.
As ESPN staff noted, although Long said he personally hasn't spoken with anyone, "that doesn't mean someone close to him hasn't."
As we pointed out above, we're simply passing along information from multiple sources that we believe are credible (based on our historical interactions with these individuals).
http://www.footballscoop.com/news/6145-the-next-head-coach-at-arkansas#http://www.footballscoop.com/news/6145-the-next-head-coach-at-arkansas#

2 names that ESPN.com is saying that prominent boosters are going to push for are Butch Davis and Dave Wannstedt and they also have ties to Arkansas staff and/or the AD. They are also saying that they want Pelini, but that he would be tough to get/afford.

If they hire Wannstache at least the can go ahead and start looking down the road to their next coach.

If they hire Wannstache at least the can go ahead and start looking down the road to their next coach.

My thoughts exactly. How many times does a coach have to show that he's mediocre to realize that he's a mediocre coach.

My thoughts exactly. How many times does a coach have to show that he's mediocre to realize that he's a mediocre coach.

I am not a big Petrino fan, but setting personal feelings aside I think people, including Arkansas fans, sometimes forget exactly what he accomplished. He came in and built them back into a power in arguably the toughest division in college football. What he's done at Louisville and Arkansas is pretty amazing when you set aside the obvious baggage that came along.

So, yeah...who down there really looks at the Stache as a solution? Probably some booster with money. He's been marginal or slightly above his entire career.

Personally, I don't think McGee should leave UAB, but I can't blame him for taking the opportunity since it has been presented. I fully expect he'll be the next coach.

I feel bad for either AK State or UAB as one of those schools just hired a coach and now that coach could bolt during or just after spring practice.

Im suprised Gus Malzahn hasnt been mentioned at all. He strikes me as the type that would jump **** quick after just getting the job at Ark St.

Im suprised Gus Malzahn hasnt been mentioned at all. He strikes me as the type that would jump **** quick after just getting the job at Ark St.

He's been mentioned all over the media for it. There are articles all over about it. In fact, he was one of the first names highly speculated as a potential candidate.

Website for this image

Bobby Petrino FIRED After Jessica Dorrell Sex Scandal At Arkansas
whotalking.com
Type: JPGImages may be subject to copyright.

http://whotalking.com/youtube/petrino+fired
0.jpg
http://whotalking.com/youtube/petrino+fired

Latest posts