NET Rankings 12/16

I know its stupid and foolish and early and doesn't matter whatsoever, but Lunardi released his latest Bracketology as well. Has Iowa as a "last 4 in" team.....a 12-seed and in a play-in game in Dayton.

He has 8 B1G teams making the dance, but shockingly only 5 ACC teams

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
What’s funny about that is before the Iowa Iowa State game he said we were last four in. We proceed to go on the road and hammer a team he had as a last four out team and we stay as a play in team?

It really doesn’t matter this early in the year and with Jbo likely going out I have no idea if we will have enough to make the dance. It’s just funny because if they did NCAA tourney selections today our resume’ would be well over a 12 seed play in team.

What’s funny about that is before the Iowa Iowa State game he said we were last four in. We proceed to go on the road and hammer a team he had as a last four out team and we stay as a play in team?

It really doesn’t matter this early in the year and with Jbo likely going out I have no idea if we will have enough to make the dance. It’s just funny because if they did NCAA tourney selections today our resume’ would be well over a 12 seed play in team.

haha Lunardi has always been a clown, but then I love him when he rates Iowa high. Remember when he briefly had Iowa as a 1 seed a few years back?

I'm sure Lunardi will start copying the NET rankings shortly now that they're out. If Iowa is #33 in the NET then they're in the 8-seed range.

I know its stupid and foolish and early and doesn't matter whatsoever, but Lunardi released his latest Bracketology as well. Has Iowa as a "last 4 in" team.....a 12-seed and in a play-in game in Dayton.

He has 8 B1G teams making the dance, but shockingly only 5 ACC teams

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
In terms of the NET we are in great shape. With the B1G schedule coming up if we can somehow get to 10 conference wins we should be a shoe in for the dance.

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/NET Team Sheets - Dec. 15, 2019.pdf

Team sheets - Iowa with a really strong resume right now. 2-2 in Q1 games (although Cuse is barely hanging on) and 2-1 in Q2 games. I could see a 9-11 Iowa team getting in depending on who they beat.
It will be interesting to see how the bubble shakes out this year. It seems to me there are a ton of similarly decent type basketball teams and not a lot of true powers this year. Which could mean there are a ton of teams with similar resume’s making the committees job very difficult.

The nice thing for Iowa is this is going to be the first time that I can remember that our strength of schedule isn’t going to hurt us and may actually help us. Hopefully Texas Tech and Iowa State finish in the top half of the Big12.

Yeah, Seth Davis voted us #21 on his weekly ballot, Iowa could be ranked today or should at least be "receiving votes" - I realize that the rankings don't matter either and it's early, but the #21 ranked team or close to top 25 ranked team in the country isn't one of the last 4 ins at this point.

The nice thing for Iowa is this is going to be the first time that I can remember that our strength of schedule isn’t going to hurt us and may actually help us. Hopefully Texas Tech and Iowa State finish in the top half of the Big12.

As far as conference finish, probably extremely unlikely in ISU's case either in NET or conference standings unless some team tanks. ISU is #82 currently - best thing for Iowa would be for ISU to creep up a bit into the top 75, that would give Iowa another Q1 win. Would help for seeding. For the record I'm saying now that Iowa gets in. Good SOS for a major conference team for Noncon, have some Q1/Q2 wins on the road, unless things just go totally sideways that's something a lot of teams are not going to have which will likely help them a lot on selection Sunday.

As far as conference finish, probably extremely unlikely in ISU's case either in NET or conference standings unless some team tanks. ISU is #82 currently - best thing for Iowa would be for ISU to creep up a bit into the top 75, that would give Iowa another Q1 win. Would help for seeding. For the record I'm saying now that Iowa gets in. Good SOS for a major conference team for Noncon, have some Q1/Q2 wins on the road, unless things just go totally sideways that's something a lot of teams are not going to have which will likely help them a lot on selection Sunday.
Lot of movement to happen in those NET rankings. A lot of those mid major schools like UNI will drop a lot when they start conference play and start dropping games to teams in their leagues.

Iowa will get there if they can accumulate the wins. But 8-12 in conference play isn’t out of the question for our team without Jbo.

Better days ahead for ISU. Haliburton is a legit star and Prohm just needs to figure out how to manage the rotation around him. Iowa is a bad matchup for them given our ability to shoot the ball and Iowa State’s limited 3pt shooting ability. With the home court advantage at Hilton I’m not counting them out of having a successful season in conference. I know far less about the conference than you do though.

Yeah, Seth Davis voted us #21 on his weekly ballot, Iowa could be ranked today or should at least be "receiving votes" - I realize that the rankings don't matter either and it's early, but the #21 ranked team or close to top 25 ranked team in the country isn't one of the last 4 ins at this point.
It’s clear that he (Lunardi) doesn’t put a whole lot of time into them this early in the year. It’s difficult to do at this point. It’s merely clickbait for ESPN.

Wasn't it before this season that Fran said he went for a stronger Non conference SoS because he thought his team would be better prepared for it than in previous years? I seem to remember that happening.

Regardless the Cincy game is pretty huge for Iowa as it will be the last decent nonconference game and a neutral court site.

Hawks have put themselves in solid position win or lose against Cincy. A win over them would be nice, but regardless Iowa is in a solid spot heading into the Big 10

I'll use this post to complain about UNI not being in the new top 25. Beat a top 25 team, on the road, last week. Only loss is to a current top 25 team under extremely questionable circumstances. Makes no sense.

per Leistikow - Iowa would be considered #28 in the AP - they had a misprint on other receiving votes....fwiw

Lot of movement to happen in those NET rankings. A lot of those mid major schools like UNI will drop a lot when they start conference play and start dropping games to teams in their leagues.

Iowa will get there if they can accumulate the wins. But 8-12 in conference play isn’t out of the question for our team without Jbo.

Better days ahead for ISU. Haliburton is a legit star and Prohm just needs to figure out how to manage the rotation around him. Iowa is a bad matchup for them given our ability to shoot the ball and Iowa State’s limited 3pt shooting ability. With the home court advantage at Hilton I’m not counting them out of having a successful season in conference. I know far less about the conference than you do though.

All true. I'm just saying, within the major conferences the Net rankings are not prone to change much. Noncons are pretty much done for most leagues, so unless a top team just gets thumped in conference play or a team that underperformed in the noncon does great, there just isn't a ton of room for improvement.

Latest posts