Nebraska dumped from AAU

MoseSchrute

Had this happened at this time last year, they would not be in the B10. They will be the only conference school without membership.

There is no rule requiring the B10 schools to maintain their AAU membership? I guess I would have guessed there was.

Alright...I know I am still "banned" because of the Olesani thing but I am kinda upset about this....way to go Nebraska....simple fact of the matter is...the Big ten presidents would not have extended an invite without UNL being in the AAU....I would not be surprised if they are a little ticked off....Jon your last tweet, have you heard anything specific from any Big Ten academic people?

This may be a bad deal. Makes it a little harder to claim the conference has higher standards compared to SEC etc.

I said from the very beginning that they did not match up academically with the B10 and should not be allowed in. But we all know this was not about academics. It would be my dream come true to see them booted out at some point and be left without a conference, but that isn't going to happen now.

I said this last year, Nebraska was a stupid addition for the Big 10. Questionable academics, low population base, not a national brand anymore.

I wonder if there is any chance they get the boot? I promise they would not be welcome back in the Big 12.

As Cyclone and Hawkeye fans, I think we can all agree, Nebraska in Conference USA would simply be too funny.

First Ohio cheats and lies about it, and now Nebbie is exposed as Arkansas by way of Texas Tech.

So much for Big Ten integrity and standards.

Nebraska is the first to be removed, but it sounds like more may be coming. None in the Big Ten, I believe, but the AAU has a core group who wants to become a smaller organization. According to one news story, the other Big Ten schools tried to intervene, but to no avail.

Part of the problem with Nebraska is they have a university system that separates the Med Center from UNL. Had they been included, Nebraska may have been safe for a few more years.

Another problem they have is the AAU does not count research dollars brought in for agricultural research, yet counts the number of staff into the formula.

Not in any way trying to defend Nebraska, nor say they don't deserve to be ousted, but some of the rules do seem a bit kinda of hinky.

Nebraska is the first to be removed, but it sounds like more may be coming. None in the Big Ten, I believe, but the AAU has a core group who wants to become a smaller organization. According to one news story, the other Big Ten schools tried to intervene, but to no avail.

Part of the problem with Nebraska is they have a university system that separates the Med Center from UNL. Had they been included, Nebraska may have been safe for a few more years.

Another problem they have is the AAU does not count research dollars brought in for agricultural research, yet counts the number of staff into the formula.

Not in any way trying to defend Nebraska, nor say they don't deserve to be ousted, but some of the rules do seem a bit kinda of hinky.

The medical school is in Omaha (hence the name UNO), and doesn't share any facilities/faculty/administration with UNL, so there's really nothing weird about the AAU (and everyone elase in the world) considering them a different school. They are a different school.

Actually, the UNMC is yet another separate wing within the University of Nebraska System, along with UNO, which has it's own set of problems, as is evident with their recent decision to drop football and wrestling in a move to Div I and the Horizon League.

Had the regents combined the UNMC and flagship UNL, their research dollars and faculty numbers would have been enough to stay within the AAU.

But, the decision to split them was made years ago and I do not have the history of how or why that happened.

Like I said, I am not defending them, but why wouldn't you include all research, as opposed to eliminating certain kinds. I am sure there is a good reason... I am just not aware of it.

Way to cite Pearlman's argument verbatim from the article. ISU has all these same disadvantages, and yet somehow maintains AAU status. The AAU has been trying to get rid of Nebraska for a decade.

Actually, the UNMC is yet another separate wing within the University of Nebraska System, along with UNO, which has it's own set of problems, as is evident with their recent decision to drop football and wrestling in a move to Div I and the Horizon League.

Had the regents combined the UNMC and flagship UNL, their research dollars and faculty numbers would have been enough to stay within the AAU.

But, the decision to split them was made years ago and I do not have the history of how or why that happened.

Like I said, I am not defending them, but why wouldn't you include all research, as opposed to eliminating certain kinds. I am sure there is a good reason... I am just not aware of it.

Nebraska's system is not that different than Wisconsin, which has UW-x schools around the state, each with their own sports mascots and teams, just like UN-O, or UN-K(Kearney). Different towns, different schools, however you want to spin it.

Way to cite Pearlman's argument verbatim from the article. ISU has all these same disadvantages, and yet somehow maintains AAU status. The AAU has been trying to get rid of Nebraska for a decade.
ISU's Engineering department and research >>>>>>> Nebraska's Engineering department and research.

If it weren't for ISU's good engineering school, they wouldn't be in the AAU.

A bit of history. When Michigan State became a member of the conference it was not a member of the AAU. It did not become an AAU member until 1964 after joining the conference in 1953. Purdue's AAU membership did not begin until 1958 after joining the conference in 1896. Also remember the Big Ten conference was formed before the AAU was formed. I think it is a mistake to think Nebraska would not have been admitted because of its AAU status. Obviously AAU members know what other members' status is.

I expect that Nebraska will begin work to attain membership once again.

but what can they do to make it back? doesn't sound like a quick fix. i wonder how much pressure the big 10 can put on them or if there are some penalties built in for losing that distinction.

Latest posts