Nebraska Bugeaters 1896

nilekinnick

This started out with a picture on my wall of Iowa Football est 1889 so were trying to figure out who the Hawks were playing. Since the picture is in Iowa City it can't be from 1889 as their only game was a road game at Grinnell per this wiki site.

Iowa Hawkeyes football from 1889 to 1897 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since I work with too many Huskers, that led looking at some of the Nebraska links which indicates thay had some colorful names that I was unaware of and I think Bugeaters is more appropriate>>>.

1896 Nebraska Bugeaters football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1896 Nebraska Bugeaters football team was the representative of the University of Nebraska in the 1896 college football season. The team was coached by Eddie N. Robinson and played their home games in at the "M" Street Park in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska's football team began its history as the "Old Gold Knights", and was also sometimes known as the "Tree Planters", "Nebraskans", "The Rattlesnake Boys", "Red Stockings", "Antelopes" or "Goldenrods" in their early years.

The J Howell site makes it look like Iowa started football in 1899
Iowa Historical Scores

The 1899 win over Nebraska was huge. It was one of the best defensive efforts in Iowa Football history. Included in this was a key goal line stand in the first quarter. Iowa would not give up a touchdown the rest of that year or the next with their hard hitting 7 4 defense. They received 2 conference championships and a Rose Bowl invitation in 1900!

I thought this thread was going to be some Nebraska fan bragging about how awesome they are because something they did in 1896

There are a few seasons where Iowa win the conference championship or qualified for the rose bowl, but didn't attend. Does anyone know the reasons why? I think that Iowa had an undefeated team in the 20's or 30's but declined the rose

There are a few seasons where Iowa win the conference championship or qualified for the rose bowl, but didn't attend. Does anyone know the reasons why? I think that Iowa had an undefeated team in the 20's or 30's but declined the rose
Iowa won the big ten in 1922 and was invited to the Rose Bowl, but declined. The school wanted the students to stay put for academic reasons.

My, my, how times have changed......

Think about it, a trip to Pasadena in the early '20s would entail probably a week's worth of travel time on trains, not to mention the training time, etc, that would be involved with playing the game. All of this while school was going.

It was not at all uncommon for schools to decline bowl bids in the olden days. I don't think Notre Dame played in a bowl game until about 1974 or so, and it's not because they weren't asked.

I thought this thread was going to be some Nebraska fan bragging about how awesome they are because something they did in 1896

Iowa beat Nebraska in 1896 too. The first game was a tie so they rescheduled for 2 days later and Iowa won 6-0. This was done because the game would decide the WIUFA conference championship. As it was Iowa football won it's first conference championship!

For the 1901 Rose Bowl Iowa accepted, but the bowl organizers were unable to put the game on and canceled it. Rather the inaugural Rose Bowl would be in 1902. For the 1922 Rose Bowl Iowa was forced to decline by the Big 10.

Iowa won the big ten in 1922 and was invited to the Rose Bowl, but declined. The school wanted the students to stay put for academic reasons.

My, my, how times have changed......

No, no, no, no, no.
The Big Ten forbade 'post-season' play at the time.
Iowa was forced to decline the invitation.
The post season prohibition was one of the reasons Michigan quit the conference

Latest posts