NCAA Tournament Expansion

AKAGOATMAN

We need a break from the coaching rumors! So here is your chance to get worked up about The NCAA expanding the tourney to 96 teams- In my opinion this is going to water this whole thing down so much, what will be the point of even playing a regular season?! We all know this is money driven, but what are your thoughts and opinions from a FAN perspective? Go!

Garbage. Worst idea ever by the NCAA. You have the best post-season product in sports, why water it down with teams that don't deserve to be there anyway?! Besides making a ton of money (like they don't already make enough), is the goal here to make sure the North Carolinas/UCLAs of the world are in every year no matter what?! What a joke.

Everyone wants a football playoff, NCAA does nothing. Nobody wants any change to the basketball tournament, NCAA expands it. Thanks NCAA

What makes this tournament so great are teams like UNI who can get hot, catch lightning in a bottle and upset the No 1 seed in round two. The chances of that happening in a 96 team field are very diminished. It is a very thinly veiled attempt to protect the big boys, and I am against it.

If they move forward with this, the NCAA then needs to seriously consider creating another division in hoops - just move the small conferences into their own division with their own post-season. If the NCAA wants to make it flat out impossible for the Santa Clara's of the world to make a splash, give them their own tournament and title run to make.

They did it in football -- within DI there are two subdivisions, why not do the same for hoops?

OK, I'm rambling a bit. But this move is nothing but a slap in the face of small and mid-major conferences.

I'm for it. Pretty simple actually. If we get this team back to somewhere between an Alford-Mr. Davis level of performance, then Iowa will make the Big Dance an extra 1-2 times per decade. Think of the times we were a bubble NCAA team and didn't make it. Think of the times we were in the NIT.

I'd sign up for an extra 1-2 times per decade that the Hawks make the dance. Selfish I suppose but this is about the Hawkeyes, baby.

I'm for it. Pretty simple actually. If we get this team back to somewhere between an Alford-Mr. Davis level of performance, then Iowa will make the Big Dance an extra 1-2 times per decade. Think of the times we were a bubble NCAA team and didn't make it. Think of the times we were in the NIT.

I'd sign up for an extra 1-2 times per decade that the Hawks make the dance. Selfish I suppose but this is about the Hawkeyes, baby.

I would say more than likely Iowa would make it every year- If not the Big dance, they would be playing post season ball in the NIT. I just don't understand the people who are for this?! I personally have problems with the Bowl schedule being expanded. It goes back to the same question, are we really going to award mediocrity? I hate to compare football and basketball, but remember when playing in a January bowl game was special? This past year we had the International Bowl AND GMAC Bowl in January! This tourney is going to be so dull and pointless. If you add 96 teams, why stop there? Why not add every single team? This is just moronic IMO.

If you call the first round of the NIT the NCAA opening round, does it make it more exciting since it's the ncaa opening round???

As much as I think don't change a thing... maybe it's just my perception that feels like the power conferences have lately been rewarded with 7-8 teams rather than adding a 2nd team from the MVC.

If it takes expanding to a 96-team format to get more of the little guys in to keep throwing around the big power conferences, then I can go for it. If this allows the big east for example to add 13 teams into the tournament, then i'm NOT a fan at all- which i hope isn't the case.

They are going to kill the golden goose....... strictly a money play on the part of the coaches and universities in spite of what most fans want. I will not fill out a 2 page 96 team bracket and I am too old to see well enough to read it if it is on one page!

As much as I think don't change a thing... maybe it's just my perception that feels like the power conferences have lately been rewarded with 7-8 teams rather than adding a 2nd team from the MVC.

If it takes expanding to a 96-team format to get more of the little guys in to keep throwing around the big power conferences, then I can go for it. If this allows the big east for example to add 13 teams into the tournament, then i'm NOT a fan at all- which i hope isn't the case.

Thats a good point- I have not heard how they would go about doing this as of yet, and maybe they don't even know, but I think they do have all the details in place if they are going to announce this any time soon. I guess I don't see how they could add more mid-majors to the tourney without having to add more power conference teams. Basically it is going to be the same thing we have now, same "bubble" type teams but all just with crappier records. No point in this at all

I would be interested in seeing what Jon had to say about all of this. I don't see even with his expertise in the business, how he could talk us in to this being a good thing. Maybe he feels the same way we do? Either way, I'd like to hear from the head honcho himself

If they do this, they might as well add two more rounds and let everyone in. No bubble teams. This is a bad idea. Someone mentioned a split D1 like in football and that makes some sense. The problem is that a Wofford or Ark-Pine Bluff keeps out a decent bubble team. While it is nice to see the giant killers do their work, there is NO CHANCE -- NONE, that a UNI or George Mason or Butler or St. Mary's will EVER win the NCAA Men's BB tourney. Get rid of the teams that really don't belong and that will solve the bubble issue.

If they do this, they might as well add two more rounds and let everyone in. No bubble teams. This is a bad idea. Someone mentioned a split D1 like in football and that makes some sense. The problem is that a Wofford or Ark-Pine Bluff keeps out a decent bubble team. While it is nice to see the giant killers do their work, there is NO CHANCE -- NONE, that a UNI or George Mason or Butler or St. Mary's will EVER win the NCAA Men's BB tourney. Get rid of the teams that really don't belong and that will solve the bubble issue.

UNLV is a mid major and they won, your just not considering them a mid-major, cause they had REALLY good players. I wouldn't be shocked if Gonzaga got some really good players and won a championship. It could happen.

Latest posts