NCAA Sanctions: A whirlwind history lesson

bukket

With all the talk and drumming going on re: OSU I think it might be prudent to take a look backward so that we can grasp the future.

When I was in high school in the mid-90's there was a dirty, dirty program in the SEC that put OSU's infractions to shame. They faced probation (multiple times), were labeled "repeat offenders" of major infractions, and even had the term "lack of institutional control" levied. These charges stemmed from the most blatant money exchanges and dirty recruiting tactics that can be imagined.

After all this scandal they were forced to reduce their scholarships and faced multiple year bowl bans.

Two years ago they were sanctioned again for a textbook scandal involving almost EVERY sport on campus.

Over the course of nearly 20 years they've developed a reputation as one of the dirtiest programs in the country.

Yes, Alabama...the team that has won a BCS championship and a Heisman within the past few years.

After all this I can't believe that
1) OSU will face anything worse
2) OSU will be down for an extended period of time

The thought of a broken and humbled Buckeye squad getting kicked around for a decade or so in the Big 10 is mildly satisfying to me as a Hawk fan. But deep down we all know that within the next 36 months there will be a rebirthed, reemerged, and reloaded squad in Columbus throwing their weight around and claiming to be the shining example of lessons learned in college football. There's no reason for them to change their ways when programs like Alabama continue to win titles worse transgressions..

Hope you don't teach history.

Bama won the NC in 1992. In 1994 they were on a bowl ban from a violation from that 1993 team. They only won 2 SEC championships between then and their NC run. They also had a 4 win season after more sanctions. They seriously hurt the program.

Another lesson:

USC was a powerhouse in the 60s and 70s. They were sanctioned in the early 80's and seriously dropped off. Until Carroll got to town in early 2000, USC had an impressive 8 game losing streak to ND and did not sniff a national championship.

There. Two perennial powerhouse programs with bowl bans and scholarship reductions that dropped off from their pre-sanction success for over a decade.

Iowa had its own big-time internal AD-driven scandal when they fired TD and hired wonder-boy.

Recruiting suffered. Play suffered. Reputations suffered. Program suffered.

We've been crappy for 10+ years.

Hope you don't teach history.

Bama won the NC in 1992. In 1994 they were on a bowl ban from a violation from that 1993 team. They only won 2 SEC championships between then and their NC run. They also had a 4 win season after more sanctions. They seriously hurt the program.

'94 - 12 wins
'95 - 8 wins NCAA Sanctioned Bowl Ban, Scholarship Reduction, Probation
'96 - 10 wins Scholarship Reduction, Probation
'97 - 4 wins Probation
'98 - 7 wins
'99 - 10 wins (Conference Champs)
'00 - 3 wins
'01 - 7 wins NCAA Sanctioned Bowl Ban, Scholarship Reduction, Probation
'02 - 10 wins NCAA Sanctioned Bowl Ban, Scholarhip Recudtion, Probation
'03 - 4 wins Scholarship Reduction, Probation
'04 - 6 wins Probation
'05 - 10 wins Probation, All Wins Forfeited due to Textbook scandal
'06 - 6 wins All wins Forfeited due to Textbook scandal
'07 - 8 wins All wins Forteited due to Textbook scandal
'08 - 12 wins
'09 - 14 wins (Conference Champs, National Champs)
'10 - 10 wins

There were a few down years during heavy sanctions, but it didn't take them long to bounce back each time.

Iowa had its own big-time internal AD-driven scandal when they fired TD and hired wonder-boy.

Recruiting suffered. Play suffered. Reputations suffered. Program suffered.

We've been crappy for 10+ years.

Either the word scandal is being used loosely, or I had my head in the sand. What was the scandal?

'94 - 12 wins
'95 - 8 wins NCAA Sanctioned Bowl Ban, Scholarship Reduction, Probation
'96 - 10 wins Scholarship Reduction, Probation
'97 - 4 wins Probation
'98 - 7 wins
'99 - 10 wins (Conference Champs)
'00 - 3 wins
'01 - 7 wins NCAA Sanctioned Bowl Ban, Scholarship Reduction, Probation
'02 - 10 wins NCAA Sanctioned Bowl Ban, Scholarhip Recudtion, Probation
'03 - 4 wins Scholarship Reduction, Probation
'04 - 6 wins Probation
'05 - 10 wins Probation, All Wins Forfeited due to Textbook scandal
'06 - 6 wins All wins Forfeited due to Textbook scandal
'07 - 8 wins All wins Forteited due to Textbook scandal
'08 - 12 wins
'09 - 14 wins (Conference Champs, National Champs)
'10 - 10 wins

There were a few down years during heavy sanctions, but it didn't take them long to bounce back each time.

I get what you are saying and you and CAAR both make good points, but I don't think OSU would be happy with 2 Conf Titles in 17 years nor to ave 8 wins a year.

The sanctions def hurt 'Bama and USC. USC seemingly had a long drought from being elite IIRC.

I don't think OSU is happy with those kinds of returns either. BUT, when you look at the fact that Alabama has been on probation for half of the last 17 seasons with scholarship reductions and bowl bans in place for roughly 1/3 of the last 17 seasons the "success" on the field is pretty amazing.

OSU's infractions pale in comparison to Alabama's, and to me don't really measure up any worse than USC's. At this point I just don't see justification on the NCAA's behalf to extend scholarship limit's or postseason ban's past a 3 year stint.

Either the word scandal is being used loosely, or I had my head in the sand. What was the scandal?

No scandal that I can remember. In fact I'm pretty sure no one would have had TD back after Alfruads first game when we beat number 1 UCONN. Alford just wasn't a good fit here, people didn't like him, and of course he had a heck of a time developing players, made bad personnel choices, you know the list - it keeps going and going why it didn't work...

The combination of an early bowl ban and the loss of 30 or so scholarships would put OSU back where they belong without cheating. The bowl ban would help let the scholarship limits take effect. However. This coming year could be interesting in that OSU might appeal the sanctions they receive, hence giving them a year. This is how uSC still has a full class.

What I expect is that OSU will have relatively good years for the first couple of years under penalty, but they won't matter because they will be bowl ineligible. Then they will drop off considerably for a couple of years due to a depleted roster. Then they will start to show signs of bouncing back in year 5. However, they won't become as dominant as they were over the last 10 years, because Little Blue will take advantage of their drop off.

Latest posts