NCAA proposal

HawkForce

I just saw this in a comments section....totally agree:
One way the NCAA could show they are serious about the student part of student athlete is to institute a mandatory freshman redshirt then follow it with a guaranteed scholarship until graduation. Then, as student has to first show they can cut it academically and keep out of trouble before they ever see the field. It would increase scholarship numbers, increasing opportunity. It would take a lot of power from the recruiting services while increasing the importance of academics when students select schools. Coaches already prefer to redshirt if they can. If instituted for basketball, it effectively ends the one-and-done. The few players who would opt to not go to college would probably be less than a percent of the total players currently in D1 athletics, a drop off in level of play would be negligible.

And he also says....
I don't disagree with anything you said. That is kind of the point. If you don't want a college degree, don't go to college. If you want to be a pro basketball player, go to Europe, go to the D-league. Let someone who wants the education get the scholarship. College sports does not need to be a defacto minor league for the NFL/NBA. I never said that a player could not drop out at any point if they are presented with a better option. In fact, a guaranteed scholarship means a player can decide to leave the team, yet finish their degree.

Best idea ever?

Latest posts