NBA age limit

CP87

Steve Kerr makes a good argument for an increased NBA age-limit (from an NBA business perspective).

I found the following excerpt describing the AAU culture interesting:
Even if today's players are incredibly gifted, they grow up in a basketball environment that can only be called counterproductive. AAU basketball has replaced high school ball as the dominant form of development in the teen years. I coached my son's AAU team for three years; it's a genuinely weird subculture. Like everywhere else, you have good coaches and bad coaches, or strong programs and weak ones, but what troubled me was how much winning is devalued in the AAU structure. Teams play game after game after game, sometimes winning or losing four times in one day. Very rarely do teams ever hold a practice. Some programs fly in top players from out of state for a single weekend to join their team. Certain players play for one team in the morning and another one in the afternoon. If mom and dad aren't happy with their son's playing time, they switch club teams and stick him on a different one the following week. The process of growing as a team basketball player — learning how to become part of a whole, how to fit into something bigger than oneself — becomes completely lost within the AAU fabric.

And for elite players who play one college year before turning pro, that process remains stunted. That's the single most important part of a player's development and we ignore it like it doesn't totally matter — basic foundation points like learning how to commit to a team, embracing the unity of a group, trusting your teammates, and working within a larger framework. Harvard coach Tommy Amaker puts it well, saying, "We've become a culture of skipping steps." So many young NBA players might be physically gifted, but they skipped crucial development steps along the way. It would help if they were forced to make one or two more of those steps within the framework of the college game.
There are a lot of issues with youth-sports in this country, but I think the recent de-emphasis on high school sports and the increased emphasis on things like AAU and 7-on-7 passing leagues is one of the biggest issues.

The idea of learning sports in a club-environment as opposed to a scholastic environment is not the problem (most of the rest of the world does that). However, as AAU and 7-on-7 are set up, they seem to be all about who can recruit the most talent to their team, and very little about developing the participants as players, as teammates, or as athletes.

a culture of skipping steps.. a bit of a metphor more more than just basketball.

Skipping steps is a good term. Look at Tiger Woods, recent troubles aside, he competed at and learned to win at every level. Michelle Wie skipped some steps which may be why she's having difficulty finding consistent and sustained success.

Selfishly I would like to see players be 3 years removed from HS before they can declare for the NBA. I think it improves both the NBA and College game.

Most businesses require an age limit or even a college degree to get hired. Why should the NBA, which is a business, not be able to have similar rules?

Some astute observations from Kerr,who I trust has his heart in the right place.

As for AAU clubs in Iowa, I do think they are a bit different from the typical metro AAU culture. Iowa AAU programs like Martin Bros,and Barnstormers have historically seemed to out-perform their raw talent,and succeed well on the national stage,going all the way back to Troy Skinner and Pearson with Martin Bros.

I think that is as a result of the unusual team-oriented approach of these clubs. They tend to have continuity from year to year in terms of players,so they learn to play together.
Now, that might even mean they get a bit overrated as individuals due to team success,but I do think in the long run,that even tho maybe on sheer raw talent they are not super-elite,all the other intangibles that Kerr cited do help these players succeed at the next level,in college. This is why I think that Woody and Gesell will contribute pretty quickly next year,as they know about being teammates,and sharing the ball and playing team ball. They are both willing passers,which always endears them to their teammates.

I think in some ways Iowa AAU clubs are the best of both worlds...competing against the best,most talented prospects out there,within a team concept....nice.

I think this is a very good observation. I'm sure it had to be frustrating for Kerr to draft players when he was with the Suns who lacked a team first attitude. I think one of the reasons I like college hoops more than the NBA is that the teams at least try to play together.

In a recent ESPN the magazine, a writer proposed using a structure like hockey for basketball players, where they could get drafted out of high school or during their college years but retain their college eligibility until the player and/or team felt the player was ready to join the pro ranks. This would be better than the one and done in that some players who were truly ready could make the jump out of high school, but the rest could play until they are ready.

I think this is a very good observation. I'm sure it had to be frustrating for Kerr to draft players when he was with the Suns who lacked a team first attitude. I think one of the reasons I like college hoops more than the NBA is that the teams at least try to play together.

In a recent ESPN the magazine, a writer proposed using a structure like hockey for basketball players, where they could get drafted out of high school or during their college years but retain their college eligibility until the player and/or team felt the player was ready to join the pro ranks. This would be better than the one and done in that some players who were truly ready could make the jump out of high school, but the rest could play until they are ready.

The fact that his owner kept giving away draft picks to avoid the luxury tax was probably more frustrating.

Not quite on topic, but the Celtics this year are making a good argument for age. Old age. The playoffs have actually been interesting to watch this year. The weather hasn't been decent lately either, so that's part of it for me anyway.

Not quite on topic, but the Celtics this year are making a good argument for age. Old age. The playoffs have actually been interesting to watch this year. The weather hasn't been decent lately either, so that's part of it for me anyway.

The Spurs and Lakers as well. I really enjoy watching Celtics, Spurs, and Thunder; the rest of the playoffs should be pretty enjoyable.

I finally pulled my kid off his high level soccer team. They are set up just like the AAU Hoops programs you are talking about. He isn't going to plan for Man U. Time to let him be a freaking kid.

Tonite after the Nugget-Laker game Barkley and his crew were talking about the development of Javale McGee,who was traded from the Wiz to Denver in March.
They all agreed that he has been helped tremendously by the firm coaching of Karl,and having more vets around him like Andre Miller. Washington was a kiddie factory. I saw Ryan Bowen hugging him after the game,and have to wonder if Ryan has worked with McGee since he arrived in Denver around the same time.

Barkley and Shaq,and Kenny agreed that every team should have a handful of vets to teach the youngsters how to be pros. I think Kurt Thomas filled this role for the Bulls the last two years,wonderfully,and before him Antonio Davis,who schooled Jo Noah and Taj Gibson on how to be pros.

Back when all the High School kids started getting drafted the league was really water down. Now that those guys have grown up and its gotten better but could be better. I say make them stay in college 2yr. It can only make College Basketball better and NBA better. I'm sure Kentucky wishes it would change.

Why not let teams sign kids out of high school again and if they aren't NBA ready talents like LeBron, Garnett, etc. put them on you D-League team and actually utilize the D-League for something other than scrubs. I would think that a good GM and franchise could take advantage of this.

Why not let teams sign kids out of high school again and if they aren't NBA ready talents like LeBron, Garnett, etc. put them on you D-League team and actually utilize the D-League for something other than scrubs. I would think that a good GM and franchise could take advantage of this.

Because no one watches the D-League and the NCAA provides the NBA with free marketing for its players. One year in college and all of a sudden guys like Durant or Anthony Davis are stars before they play their first minute in the NBA.