National championship

HawkeyeMHA

Here's the question. Would you be ok with a national championship for our beloved black and gold if later on we were found to have broke the rules and subsequently ended up on probation? Maybe we can win one w/out cheating, this is just a fun friday hypotheticlal here guys. And also you may ask well to what degree did we cheat etc. you decide. What's winning worth to you/us?

No, I'd like to think people of Iowa have better morals than those of the cheating south. ;)

Yes, I could live with that. Nobody seems to care that Michigan's Fab 5 had their wins vacated (and yes, I realize they were runner up 2X, but never won the title) or that Jerry Tarkanian's UNLV teams were built on ill-gotten gains.

And for the record, I don't think Iowa can ever win a national title in football (maybe not even hoops) playing it close to the vest and doing it "the right way".

To me, sports is all just a game. It's for fun, and I don't take these types of things too seriously. I watch football & basketball to watch Iowa win. If they cheated (like alot of other programs), I can honestly say I don't think it would bother me in the least.

Frankly, it kind of ticks me off to think that Iowa may be getting beaten by other dirty programs, just for the sake of doing it the right way. Losing sucks, whether you do it the right way, or not.

Last edited:
If a guy came into work and told me (with proof) that spent the weekend naked with Kate Upton, my first reaction would be, "You are the luckiest man on the face of the earth", not "You cheated on your girlfriend?"

So, for me, yes, cheat away and win as much as you can, get a ring or two, and deal with the consequences, which may mean a loss of scholarships and taking our program down to the point of being around .500 every year. I know I won't cheer any less during the NC game even if I knew we were cheating. If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.

No I wouldn't want it. However, none of us know where Iowa really stands on ALL counts. KF apparently looked past hiring a relative. What else?

Also, Iowa did employ Bruce Pearl. Smoke = fire.

So I wouldn't take an Iowa is always holy vision. We just don't know. If we are cheating at least when we cheat we do well.....knock at ISU. :eek:

I think the issue is flagrant cheating v cutting corners?

NCAA is such a ridiculous organization and what is called and not called is so crazy, it would be silly to think something doesn't go on.

Wish the NCAA had guts like when they took down Barry S and then the Pony Express. The guy behind it was a ww2 vet in some of the worst fighting in Europe. He was also a hall of fame bb coach.

No I wouldn't want it. However, none of us know where Iowa really stands on ALL counts. KF apparently looked past hiring a relative. What else?

Also, Iowa did employ Bruce Pearl. Smoke = fire.

So I wouldn't take an Iowa is always holy vision. We just don't know. If we are cheating at least when we cheat we do well.....knock at ISU. :eek:

I think the issue is flagrant cheating v cutting corners?

NCAA is such a ridiculous organization and what is called and not called is so crazy, it would be silly to think something doesn't go on.

Wish the NCAA had guts like when they took down Barry S and then the Pony Express. The guy behind it was a ww2 vet in some of the worst fighting in Europe. He was also a hall of fame bb coach.

And we still look back to those days and wish they would return.

I guess it depends what where caught for. If its a Penn State like violation then no. But if it's pay for play or merchandise given to a couple of guys. Big deal at least we're being talked about. Ohio State seems to be doing ok.

Yes, pedi state cheating is an absolute no. Any situation where someone gets hurt is a no for me. Sports are just not that important. Other situations.... Grey areas for me.

You want to give some poor kid or his family a couple bucks here and there...meh, I might be on with that.

I guess it depends what where caught for. If its a Penn State like violation then no. But if it's pay for play or merchandise given to a couple of guys. Big deal at least we're being talked about. Ohio State seems to be doing ok.

Absolutely, and those are totally different situations. I'm not saying win at ALL costs.. I wouldn't want what happened at Ped State to happen at Iowa. If one of our coaches did something like that, then I would want him fired and sent to prison, too. That type of thing ruins the lives of the victims and that's the type of line I would never want to cross.

But stuff like offering top recruits a little "extra encouragement" to come to Iowa, our coaches asking for free dinners and lown mowers, and things like that - That's petty stuff in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to something like the PSU situation.

But I am not one of those "I would rather lose than win the way Kentucky does" types of people.

Yes, I could live with that. Nobody seems to care that Michigan's Fab 5 had their wins vacated (and yes, I realize they were runner up 2X, but never won the title) or that Jerry Tarkanian's UNLV teams were built on ill-gotten gains.

And for the record, I don't think Iowa can ever win a national title in football (maybe not even hoops) playing it close to the vest and doing it "the right way".

To me, sports is all just a game. It's for fun, and I don't take these types of things too seriously. I watch football & basketball to watch Iowa win. If they cheated (like alot of other programs), I can honestly say I don't think it would bother me in the least.

Frankly, it kind of ticks me off to think that Iowa may be getting beaten by other dirty programs, just for the sake of doing it the right way. Losing sucks, whether you do it the right way, or not.

Thank you Lance.

Latest posts