Name dropping

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

In Fran's post-game interview over OSU [after the loss of Jack Nunge], Fran mentioned a name: Kris Murray. Said he needs to be ready now. I blv he'll be getting more minutes now.

Ash is leaving the program at the end of the year. Thinks he is good enough to play elsewhere. Fran tried to get him to stay, but he wants a starting role.
Not taking a shot at Ash, but if that's the case and he has his mind made up and already announced his intentions to the staff, then does he really care that much about playing time? Just my opinion, but if that's his decision, I'm totally on board with it and wish him the best, but that move you make once the seasons over and not while it's on going.

There is absolutely no reason for Fran to play him at all now. Nothing against Ash, but from a coaching perspective why waste minutes, even mop up minutes, on someone that has no intention of sticking around next year. His minutes were already damn near nonexistent but Fran has absolutely no reason to put him on the court when he's got guys that see limited action as is who are returning next year. Just see it as a bad move on his part.

Not taking a shot at Ash, but if that's the case and he has his mind made up and already announced his intentions to the staff, then does he really care that much about playing time? Just my opinion, but if that's his decision, I'm totally on board with it and wish him the best, but that move you make once the seasons over and not while it's on going.

There is absolutely no reason for Fran to play him at all now. Nothing against Ash, but from a coaching perspective why waste minutes, even mop up minutes, on someone that has no intention of sticking around next year. His minutes were already damn near nonexistent but Fran has absolutely no reason to put him on the court when he's got guys that see limited action as is who are returning next year. Just see it as a bad move on his part.

There is a Gazette Article on it. See if I can find it later.

Thanks for posting. Good read. While I totally see where he's coming from and believe Fran will do what he can to help him play somewhere I still think it puts Fran in a bind with regards to playing time. I just struggle to see how his playing time isn't affected, when the guys waiting in the wings are the very same guys sticking around. You never want to bury a guy on the roster, but at the same time you have to act in the best interest of the program. IMO, if I'm Fran, knowing he's got eligibility remaining and he's leaving wouldn't affect what I'd do to help him find a new program, but it would definitely affect his PT.

Thanks for posting. Good read. While I totally see where he's coming from and believe Fran will do what he can to help him play somewhere I still think it puts Fran in a bind with regards to playing time. I just struggle to see how his playing time isn't affected, when the guys waiting in the wings are the very same guys sticking around. You never want to bury a guy on the roster, but at the same time you have to act in the best interest of the program. IMO, if I'm Fran, knowing he's got eligibility remaining and he's leaving wouldn't affect what I'd do to help him find a new program, but it would definitely affect his PT.
I agree, the timing is off here. Maybe even a slight selfish move that attracts unnecessary attention and like you said does nothing to improve the ever slightest of playing time to end this year.

This decision could have waited until the season was over.

The young man has "earned" all the playing time he gets until the season is over. He contributed a lot during practice in all of his time as a member of the Hawkeye basketball team. Kudos to Fran for his loyalty.

I disagree. The kid has earned some playing time despite the fact that he's probably leaving. The team seems to love him and really enjoy when he's out there. It's as much for them at it is for AA.

I think it's good for the chemistry of the team, and Fran paying his dues. The timing isn't the greatest, but I bet his teammates already knew.

The young man has "earned" all the playing time he gets until the season is over. He contributed a lot during practice in all of his time as a member of the Hawkeye basketball team. Kudos to Fran for his loyalty.

In a perfect world yes. That said, from a coaches standpoint there is no reason why he should give mop up minutes to an individual that is opting not to come back. Those minutes could go to younger players who are coming back to give him an opportunity to see what they can do.

I'm not saying its the right or wrong approach I'm just saying a coach should be focused equally as much on the future as they are in the now. If that individual is not winning you ball games and is not part of the future it doesn't make sense to give him minutes that could go elsewhere.

Because the coaches know the inner relationships among the players, I really think they will do what is best for the team. Not worried.

Latest posts