Naismith Award-Winner Megan Gustafson To Play in TBT 2019

Gimmick for TBT? Or gimmick for Megan? Or both? It will certainly help her keep a higher profile. I could see her being picked up by a WNBA team before TBT happens.

I'm not sure what to make of this tournament. It's for a good cause (veterans), but it's a winner take all and I question the interest level.

Here's the Iowa team, BTW. It's coached by Jeff Horner.

LINK

I'm not sure what to make of this tournament. It's for a good cause (veterans), but it's a winner take all and I question the interest level.

LINK

Yeah, so the top '$upporter$' of the team get a share of the winnings (should they win the tourney, of course). But also, a team has to have enough '$upport' to be eligible for the tournament.

So on one hand the team organizers need to generate interest in Iowa United so people will invest and get them into the tournament but on the other hand does the idea of Megan(as great as she is) logging actual minutes for this team against men inspire one to fork over cash with the hopes they could win? Balancing act I suppose...

LINK

Interesting group of former Hawks. Nicholas Baer, Peter Jok (Horner is Pete's HS coach), and Cyrus Tate (there's a name I haven't heard in quite some time).

I think this will be good publicity for the Women’s basketball team. Who knows, maybe it could inspire some future high-level female recruits to come to Iowa. Plus it’s groundbreaking that a girl plays in a male dominated tourney. May be good for ticket sales too. Can you imagine how a video would go viral if Megan would actually outplay a male player? This is win-win situation for Megan and Iowa Women’s basketball.

I think this will be good publicity for the Women’s basketball team. Who knows, maybe it could inspire some future high-level female recruits to come to Iowa. Plus it’s groundbreaking that a girl plays in a male dominated tourney. May be good for ticket sales too. Can you imagine how a video would go viral if Megan would actually outplay a male player? This is win-win situation for Megan and Iowa Women’s basketball.
It's a win-win unless she gets on the court and gets her brains kicked in.

It's a win-win unless she gets on the court and gets her brains kicked in.
Which is why I think it’s a bad idea. An above average boys HS team would destroy the WNBA champs by 50 pts. She’s great in the women’s game but this will be brutal unfortunately. After getting cut I don’t see her going out on a court and getting slaughtered as a good thing for her future. Even with the publicity.

I highly doubt she will be playing the center position, they may bring her off the bench to play the 2 or 3 spot. Its more about publicity than anything else. Whether or not she outplays a male player or not is really a mute point, but if she did, it would be newsworthy and embarrassing to the young man she played against. Again, newsworthy. Any publicity is good publicity.

I keep reading that this is one of the biggest non-NBA pro tournaments available in this country. So many other schools have teams that are trying to win the whole thing. Is the Iowa team trying to win or trying to get publicity?