My thoughts on Iowa hoops

bpiercehawks

I love basketball. I love Iowa basketball. I grew up watching Lute and Mr. Davis. The anniversary of the passing of Chris Street brings a tear to my eye each year. I love that Coach Fran brought us back from the depths of apathy. That said, Iowa basketball is tough to watch right now. I didn't even know we had a game last night. I got a reminder on my phone and had no idea the Hawks played OSU. I'm now wishing I didn't turn it on. I coached a number of years of HS varsity basketball and I am surprised watching our Hawks do a number of things that I wouldn't have allowed my HS kids to do. I read that Coach Fran mentioned our offense being a problem. It is. I will touch on this before our bigger problem - defense. From my perspective we have too many guys that take quick shots, especially 3's. Bohannon has earned this right. No one else has. Others see JBo do it and think that they can as well. Having Jok alongside JBo last year allowed JBo more opportunity to catch and shoot. This year he has the ball in his hands more. He tries to create his shot, and at times he can, but consistently this isn't good basketball. If anyone not named Bohannon shoots a quick, early, 3, sit them down. These shots often start runs that take the game from a 2-3 point game to a 10-14 point game. That's the ballgame, folks. This season we shoot a quick 3, give up a 3 or a dunk, and follow that up with another quick 3, dunk... Dailey has impressed me. I would play Dailey, Baer, Cook, and JBo as many minutes as they physically can play. Just to see if we could stop anyone, I'd put Wagner out there and tell him to defend and get 10 rebounds. In my opinion Baer is the best all-around player on our team and he has been for 2 years (better than Jok). Defensively, if we can't play man defense on people, we need to recruit better. I'm not a zone fan, but you can play great zone defense w/ Uthoff, Aaron White type kids. Tall, lengthy kids who can move. You can't play zone with our roster. Our closeouts are bad. Our transition defense doesn't exist. We don't have 11-12 kids who should be playing. I love the Hawks and I support Fran, but I don't love watching bad basketball. Go Hawks!

A pretty reasonable take by the above poster.

When I watch this team lately, I swear I'm watching a pick-up team at the Y. That look that unorganized on both offense and defense. They look like they've never played together before. I thought their foreign trip was going to take care of that.

Is this a product of the constant rotation of players?

Latest posts