My condolences on losing a legend

ChrisMWilliams

I fully realize that most of you probably hate me based off of the school that I cover for a living but despite that, I wanted to come on Hawkeye Nation today and let each and every one of you know how sorry I am about your loss of the icon that is Jim Zabel.

I went on a week long trip to Mexico and saw the news when I got back on Sunday night. When I read the email, my heart sank.

One of the highlights of my career was back in 2005 when Jon Miller introduced me to Jim in the elevator at ClearChannel. With butterflies in my stomach, I told Jim at that time that he was one of my heroes. Whenever I've gotten the call over the last decade or so, I've always been honored to go on his Sunday night radio show that he co-hosted with Jim Walden.

I have always envied Jon for being able to work so closely with Mr. Zabel. The man was a class act, a legend and an amazing person.

He will be missed by all, especially on Saturday afternoons. The state of Iowa will never be the same.

I fully realize that most of you probably hate me based off of the school that I cover for a living but despite that, I wanted to come on Hawkeye Nation today and let each and every one of you know how sorry I am about your loss of the icon that is Jim Zabel.

I went on a week long trip to Mexico and saw the news when I got back on Sunday night. When I read the email, my heart sank.

One of the highlights of my career was back in 2005 when Jon Miller introduced me to Jim in the elevator at ClearChannel. With butterflies in my stomach, I told Jim at that time that he was one of my heroes. Whenever I've gotten the call over the last decade or so, I've always been honored to go on his Sunday night radio show that he co-hosted with Jim Walden.

I have always envied Jon for being able to work so closely with Mr. Zabel. The man was a class act, a legend and an amazing person.

He will be missed by all, especially on Saturday afternoons. The state of Iowa will never be the same.

Thank you for the condolences. And you should realize that, at least for me, I have no idea who you are or what school you cover, therefore, no hate.

It seems like the Zabel tribute posts from Jon and now this one talked more about themselves than the man they were trying to honor. Just an observation.

Chris, this is a site of love, not hate. (at least since Feb)

Ditto the condolences on your dog. That sucks.

It seems like the Zabel tribute posts from Jon and now this one talked more about themselves than the man they were trying to honor. Just an observation.

Could be the most fitting tribute to Zabel, don't you think? And if there was a tab to pay the tributers could make someone else pick it up. ;)

No hate here. I actually pull for ISU when not playing Iowa.

My observation? You are an idiot. When people pass, people remember them for how they made them feel, how they remembered them, etc. Not many people here really knew Zabel the man but have very special feeling about how they loved listening to him.

My observation? You are an idiot. When people pass, people remember them for how they made them feel, how they remembered them, etc. Not many people here really knew Zabel the man but have very special feeling about how they loved listening to him.

Meh, obvious dolt is obvious. The posts I was talking about did know "Zabel the man". Not much of a reader bud, are ya?

"It seems like the Zabel tribute posts from Jon and now this one talked more about themselves than the man they were trying to honor. Just an observation."

Bolded and underlined for Wassabbe.

I have never heard such nice words from whom I assume a gopher fan in all my life. Wow! didn't even you guys thought about football broadcast up there.

I didn't get that sense at all...not from this post, not from Jon's memorials. It's all about individual perspective, I guess.

Back to the original topic ... To the OP ... classy post. Zabel was an icon for the state of Iowa -- not just the Hawkeyes. Kudos for your post. The Z will be missed. Man, he had a heck of life ... Doing what he loved to do until the very end. We can all only hope to be that fortunate. :)

Thanks for sharing those kind words Chris. Jim was such an icon in Central Iowa I'm sure there are many Cyclone fans who feel the same as you.

Besides he did a radio show with Jim Walden for so many years I would assume he had an appreciation for both programs.

Because perhaps we all relate to things on a personal level? Not really sure what you are angling for here. We best express our feelings for folks by sharing what they meant to us...and what people mean to us is defined through our experiences with them.

Sorry, but this seems like you are reaching for something, and I have no idea what it could be.

Thanks for stopping by Chris and sharing those sentiments. Jim will be missed.

Because perhaps we all relate to things on a personal level? Not really sure what you are angling for here. We best express our feelings for folks by sharing what they meant to us...and what people mean to us is defined through our experiences with them.

Sorry, but this seems like you are reaching for something, and I have no idea what it could be.

Thanks for stopping by Chris and sharing those sentiments. Jim will be missed.

Not reaching for anything, just how I read the posts.

I may have been the only one to interpret them that way but it's how I did.

Latest posts