My All-B1G Teams, POY, COY, Etc.

RobHowe

Administrator
League announces official all-conference and individual award winners this afternoon.

Here are my picks: LINK

Rob - good list. Probably my only difference would be defensive POY. I'd probably go with Eastern from Purdue, but that's probably picking nits....both are deserving.

Good list Rob. If your list in holds true, it will be the first time since 1990 that the Big 10 champ (in this case co-champ) does not have a player on first or second team all B10. And it may very well be that there won't be one on the 3rd team either. I think it reflects how UW is a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Good list Rob. If your list in holds true, it will be the first time since 1990 that the Big 10 champ (in this case co-champ) does not have a player on first or second team all B10. And it may very well be that there won't be one on the 3rd team either. I think it reflects how UW is a team that is greater than the sum of its parts.

I hate Wisconsin athletics with every fiber of my being....which means I respect the hell out of them! :)

Miller Kopp over Joe Wieskamp.

Wieskamp in B1G play (team finished 5th)
15 PPG / 6.1 RPG / 41% FG

Kopp (team finished with 3 wins)
13 PPG / 3.4 RPG / 39% FG

Last edited:
Boo Bouie over CJ Fredrick

Fredrick in B1G play (team finished 5th)
15 games played / 9.2 PPG / 2.7 APG / 42% FG / 40% 3P

Bouie (team finished with 3 wins)
15 games played/ 10.9 PPG / 2.4 APG / 36.4% FG / 29.4% 3P

Wieskamp averaged 1.8 more points a game in B1G play. He shot 34 percent from 3 while Kopp shot 40 percent.

Could I see Wieskamp being named third team over Kopp, sure. But it's not cut and dry. And Joe has struggled mightily down the stretch when Iowa lost three of its last four games.

Boo Bouie over CJ Fredrick

Fredrick in B1G play (team finished 5th)
15 games played / 9.2 PPG / 2.7 APG / 42% FG / 40% 3P

Bouie (team finished with 3 wins)
15 games played/ 10.9 PPG / 2.4 APG / 36.4% FG / 29.4% 3P

Should we just pick the players based on stats? ;)

Wieskamp averaged 1.8 more points a game in B1G play. He shot 34 percent from 3 while Kopp shot 40 percent.

Could I see Wieskamp being named third team over Kopp, sure. But it's not cut and dry. And Joe has struggled mightily down the stretch when Iowa lost three of its last four games.
NW lost on average more than 3 out of every 4 conference games.

I guess it’s just shocking to me to see an Iowa writer not have Joe on there, even despite his recent struggles. I know these lists are hard to do an easy for someone to poke holes in but having Kopp over Wieskamp seems like an overreaction to recent games.

Should we just pick the players based on stats? ;)

No of course not, but I think Nike is making a case that a couple more of our guys might sneak in at 3rd team. I think IMO, and rightfully so, you might actually try and be TOO unbiased with Iowa guys because you don't want to be perceived as a homer or because you might be too close to it so you tend to go other ways instead of with the home team. I don't blame ya for that either. It would be really hard for me to deal with that dichotomy. Joe definitely faded down the stretch. I would not be shocked to see him not make a team because of it and I think your list was pretty good. I do think Nike raised a couple of good cases tho.

It's my opinion based on stats and what I've watched. FWIW, I don't have an actual vote.
This seems like a very tough year for it as well. As someone else mentioned there are going to be some guys deserving of first team that won’t make it. After the first team and a few of those guys it’s kind of anyone’s guess.

Rob - good list. Probably my only difference would be defensive POY. I'd probably go with Eastern from Purdue, but that's probably picking nits....both are deserving.

I debated between those two guys for that. I went with Tillman because of how well he did against a league stacked with good big men.

This seems like a very tough year for it as well. As someone else mentioned there are going to be some guys deserving of first team that won’t make it. After the first team and a few of those guys it’s kind of anyone’s guess.

I had Jalen Smith on there Friday and flipped Ayo on there today. Somebody on Twitter told me he would have Stevens on first team instead of Oturu.

I honestly think all four of those guys are deserving of first team. I think I will be wrong on Cowan being first team. But, to me, he's Maryland's most valuable player.

I had Jalen Smith on there Friday and flipped Ayo on there today. Somebody on Twitter told me he would have Stevens on first team instead of Oturu.

I honestly think all four of those guys are deserving of first team. I think I will be wrong on Cowan being first team. But, to me, he's Maryland's most valuable player.

Wasn't me on Twitter but I agree that Lamar Stevens should be on the 1st team over Ayo.

Its gonna be really close for the bottom 3 spots, but I assume Garza is unanimous 1st team.

Crazy that Oturu is 2nd in the conference in scoring and 1st rebounds and was 2nd team. I wonder how many guys in the history of the conference have done that?

Crazy that Oturu is 2nd in the conference in scoring and 1st rebounds and was 2nd team. I wonder how many guys in the history of the conference have done that?
probably the same number that didn't make MVP after being number one in both scoring and assists, Andre Woolridge

Latest posts