My 2 cents on end of game

Hawkfnntn

Where do I start. Well I've watched lots and lots of basketball games. I go back to the late 80s with Marble, Armstrong etc as to when I first got into hoops. Many of you go further back than that. Fran has been a part of many many games. I don't think this game was the chippiest one I've ever seen. Did it have it's moments towards the end sure. But I've seen way worse where everyone still went through the handshake line. When it comes to what happened at the very end I just don't see the big deal. So what? I don't think one should get upset at kids playing the whole game. I just don't. Baer could have protected the ball better or passed it too. The reason that kid went at it was because Baer was being lackadaisical with it and not paying attention. You can clearly see how the other kid was away from him but when he saw he had an opening that's when he went at it.

But that alone shouldn't have been the tipping point reason to not go through the line. Now I know they were fouling hard and doing some cheap things here and there on Jordan and Jok. Not to mention their kid flopped like Vlade Divac. No way Jordan with his left hand could shove that kid down like that. He probably had 15-20 lbs on him. That said Jordan shouldn't have done that either. Fran was smart to take Jok out after his last two free throws if he felt that something could escalate. The game was over like he said. One thing I don't know is what all was being said. If there was a lot of smack talk going on or not. That could have escalated things too.

All that being said to me the hand shake like is the perfect place for Fran to tell Jones what he thought of it all. There's no better place then that face to face. I'm not for coaches talking to other teams kids like coach K seems to think he's entitled to do so I wouldn't have been for Fran to go talk to their kid. But certainly he could have talked to Jones about it to smooth things out right then and there. Talking about it in the press conference does nothing and we all know how growly Fran can be at those and he was. Fran said he don't think Jones and his staff teaches that stuff. I think a quick convo in the handshake like would have deescalated things right there.

I think Fran was more upset that it was still a game at the end. It should have been a 20 pt win. If Iowa makes half the free throws they missed and didn't turn it over so sloppily as many times as they did they'd have had 10-14 more pts easy. Instead the last 2 or 3 mins Iowa had to play out with starters out there.

What keeps being left unmentioned, is that after the holding of JoBo and the flop by UND, Brian Jones kept screaming "that's BS, that's BS!!" like JoBo punched his player out or something.

Then after their dooshy play at the end where they grabbed the ball from Baer, Jones was waving his arms signaling the shot good and celebrating the play.

Also, Horner, yelled at Fran, "I teach my guys to play to the end!"

It was non-stop bush league play from UND for the last minute or so and I don't blame Fran one damned bit for not shaking their hands. If fact, he probable avoided a very volatile situation getting completely out of hand. He handled it exactly right.

And this morning he's still handling it the right way by apologizing. UND should be the ones apologizing and they look as D-league as they did last night for not doing so.

What keeps being left unmentioned, is that after the holding of JoBo and the flop by UND, Brian Jones kept screaming "that's BS, that's BS!!" like JoBo punched his player out or something.

Then after their dooshy play at the end where they grabbed the ball from Baer, Jones was waving his arms signaling the shot good and celebrating the play.

It was non-stop bush league play from UND for the last minute or so and I don't blame Fran one damned bit for not shaking their hands. If fact, he probable avoided a very volatile situation getting completely out of hand. He handled it exactly right.

And this morning he's still handling it the right way by apologizing. UND should be the ones apologizing and they look as D-league as they did last night for not doing so.
Winner.

See I didn't know about most of that. I wondered about what all was being said cause of course that provides context to it all too... That said there's taking the higher ground. Fran had the chance to do that. I highly highly doubt anything would have happened in the line. If they want to build up the reputation of being complete douches then that's on them. Now Frans going to have one more notch of negativity that the national media (which is lazy and will take none of this in context) will have to continue to label him with. It's is funny how the same media will say nothing but great things about him and his family one min when it comes to his kid fighting cancer yet will say he's the worst thing that's happened to college basketball since Bobby Knight in the other...

See I didn't know about most of that. I wondered about what all was being said cause of course that provides context to it all too... That said there's taking the higher ground. Fran had the chance to do that. I highly highly doubt anything would have happened in the line. If they want to build up the reputation of being complete douches then that's on them. Now Frans going to have one more notch of negativity that the national media (which is lazy and will take none of this in context) will have to continue to label him with. It's is funny how the same media will say nothing but great things about him and his family one min when it comes to his kid fighting cancer yet will say he's the worst thing that's happened to college basketball since Bobby Knight in the other...
. This is no big deal. Most people won't remember what happened 2 weeks from now. He was sticking up for his players. Seriously it's not a big deal at all. He apologized. Everyone will move on.

. This is no big deal. Most people won't remember what happened 2 weeks from now. He was sticking up for his players. Seriously it's not a big deal at all. He apologized. Everyone will move on.
Oh I totally agree. Local talk radio will get the most run of this and it won't be too long. The only part that will stick around is how the national guys will talk about Fran... Just one more negative notch that some of the media sure seems to have against him..

If we were up 20, and still pressing them with a minute left they would not be happy if we said "we teach our guys to play till the end". There is a right and wrong way to do things. It goes both ways. ND should admit that it was bush league at the end and can see why it was irritating.
That said, the right thing to do from the Hawk bench is just slap hands quickly as possible, including Fran, and just get out of there. Don't need to hug or talk, just the quick handshake and move along.

Or Fran could be the bigger person. Control his anger and lead his players through the handshakes under control. Sure he has the right to be upset, but will he ever control his anger? I really get tired of apologies after the fact. Like that really makes everything right.

Or Fran could be the bigger person. Control his anger and lead his players through the handshakes under control. Sure he has the right to be upset, but will he ever control his anger? I really get tired of apologies after the fact. Like that really makes everything right.

I really hope Fran never "controls" his anger, i hope he never checks his passion and I hope he keeps that fire that makes him what he is til the day he leaves Iowa.

As with most things, they cut both ways.

Jess Settles was one of the most subtle dirty players in the league when he played. Zach McCabe was one of the more unsubtle dirty players. Jake Jaacks might have had the biggest mouth of any player to ever put on a Hawkeye uniform, etc., etc. But they were our players, so it's cool.

Doesn't take away from the douchery that ND displayed last night....but glass houses and all.....

I really hope Fran never "controls" his anger, i hope he never checks his passion and I hope he keeps that fire that makes him what he is til the day he leaves Iowa.
There is a huge difference between passion and anger. Yes sometimes Fran is showing passion, but other times it is anger. His reaction at the end of the game was anger.

There is a huge difference between passion and anger. Yes sometimes Fran is showing passion, but other times it is anger. His reaction at the end of the game was anger.
I like an angry coach with a little chip on his shoulder, let's hope it spills out on this team

And Jones was caught on camera calling JoBo an effing prick. Maybe this got back to Fran as well. Who knows???

Latest posts