MSU Game on Beggars Night?

masoncityhawkeye

First off, I assume that game will be at 2:30?

Second, does anyone else have a tough decision to make as to going to the game or staying home and doing Beggars night?

I just don't think I can go to the game and not take the 3 year old and 16 month old trick or treating. What are others doing that live in DM and have this decision???

I don't live in DSM, but our beggar's night is also the 30th. I have a 2 year old and a 1 month old. We're planning on just taking them around to a dozen or so friends and family on Friday night instead.

I don't live in DSM, but our beggar's night is also the 30th. I have a 2 year old and a 1 month old. We're planning on just taking them around to a dozen or so friends and family on Friday night instead.

Good idea, but my wife doesn't go to the games so she would still take them, plus we don't have enough family/friends close to make that work.

Hoping it somehow gets to be the 11 am game

Might be able to work a trade off of staying home for MSU then getting a babysitter and going to NW game!!

Beggars night is so F'N stupid! Why can't Halloween be on Halloween? It makes no sense to me.

Haven't decided what we're doing with our kids yet. We'll either have G&G come down from CF and watch/take them or do Halloween in CF on Sunday.

Yeah, I am in the same boat.

Wife has to work that weekend in DSM area and have a 2 year old that wants to go trick or treating.

Somehow hoping that the game is the ESPN 11am game so I can go and then make it back for "beggar's night". I am actually trying to convince my wife to let me take the little guy to the MSU game, would be his first game!!

I can't believe some of you are even thinking of putting an Iowa football game before your kids.

Sure it is only beggars night, but it is a huge deal to kids, what are some of you going to do when your kids get older and have school activities on football Saturday's? Sorry but I won't miss any of my kids activities (even beggars night) for a football game that I can catch on TV.

With that said, I'm hoping it is an 11 am kick though.

How soon will we know 2:30 vs. 11:00? I live in Des Moines and 2:30 may do me in as well. My neighbor's been wanting those tickets for a while but I'd hate for him to actually get them.

Why can't Halloween be on Halloween? It makes no sense to me.

I get why they would change it when Halloween is on a Sunday like this year as a lot of people attend church services Sunday evening, but last year Halloween was on a Saturday and they made Beggar's Night on Friday. That seemed really dumb.

Beggars night is so F'N stupid! Why can't Halloween be on Halloween? It makes no sense to me.

Haven't decided what we're doing with our kids yet. We'll either have G&G come down from CF and watch/take them or do Halloween in CF on Sunday.

Beggars Night is the dumbest thing thought up IMO

I can't believe some of you are even thinking of putting an Iowa football game before your kids.

Sure it is only beggars night, but it is a huge deal to kids, what are some of you going to do when your kids get older and have school activities on football Saturday's? Sorry but I won't miss any of my kids activities (even beggars night) for a football game that I can catch on TV.

Most of the people on this are saying that they will skip the game to be with their kids, so I would watch it before you call out someone's parenting. What is wrong with people wanting to do both? I will be the first to admit that my little guy stays with either my in-laws or other close relative during Iowa home games. It is great for him to get some time with grandma and grandpa or be able to socialize with people who are not his parents. If you are the only people around your kid all the time, sit back and watch how socially inept they will be later in life.

Beggars Night is the dumbest thing thought up IMO

It is completely ridiculous and stupid! But, I found out about a lot of stupid things in DM when I moved out here after college, and I don't think Beggar's night is any dumber than some of the others.

Anyone in Eastern Iowa know WTF a squinny is?

I'll be in Kinnick on the 30th, so the kids get no beggars night if it is a late game.

Anyone know when trick or treat is in the QC?

Last edited:

Easy there, Big Fella. Some of us have figured a way to satisfy both demands. Regardless, it's usually not prudent to give people you don't know parental advice...

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but really? A HUGE deal? If you think it's a huge deal to dress your little kids up to "celebrate" a paganistic ritual and shove candy down their throats, than more power to you.

I'm pretty sure you can find a beggar's night messageboard somewhere...it is the internet afterall.

Most of the people on this are saying that they will skip the game to be with their kids, so I would watch it before you call out someone's parenting. What is wrong with people wanting to do both? I will be the first to admit that my little guy stays with either my in-laws or other close relative during Iowa home games. It is great for him to get some time with grandma and grandpa or be able to socialize with people who are not his parents. If you are the only people around your kid all the time, sit back and watch how socially inept they will be later in life.

1) I never said there was anything wrong with doing both, in fact if it is an 11am game I will be doing both, but this is about choosing which one to do if you can't do both.

2) I wasn't calling anyone out on their parenting, my point was simply that this shouldn't even be a hard choice, you only have 1 time to watch your kids grow up, but there will be other football games you can go to. You can't get back the time or things you miss doing with your kids but football will still be there.

This!!

I would love to do both but if it comes down to it I will watch the game at home and then do Beggers night.

Might do Night Eyes Friday and Valleywest Mall trick or treating on Tuesday and see if that is enough for the wife to let me go to the game then:)

But if it comes down to picking one or the other the Kids will win everytime!! Especially at the ages they are (3 and 17 months) it is too cute to miss out on that.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but really? A HUGE deal? If you think it's a huge deal to dress your little kids up to "celebrate" a paganistic ritual and shove candy down their throats, than more power to you.

I'm pretty sure you can find a beggar's night messageboard somewhere...it is the internet afterall.

First of all I can tell you don't have kids.

This is the mentality that is wrong with today's society. This isn't about me, you will find out in life that your decisions can influence and have an effect on other human beings as well and sometimes things aren't always what is best for yourself, we must make sacrifices, with that said beggars night isn't a huge deal to me, but I'm not going to tell a 6 year old she can't go trick or treating and have fun because daddy is going to a football game and having fun for himself.

Latest posts